Quantcast

zope does not start under windows: To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.

robert rottermann robert rottermann

zope does not start under windows: To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.

Hi there,
I copied a buildout directory from linux to windows.
On linux I can bootstrap/buildout it without problems and the site can
be started.

On windows I did bootstrap/buildout it also without problems using
python2.6.
I then installed zope as a service with
bin\instance.exe install
and started it using services.msc.

when I now try to start the instance with
bin\instance.exe fg

i get the error:
To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.

running bin\test.exe seems to work fine, so I assume that zope/plone is
installed correctly.

Further inverstigaten into services shows, that I can start the service
manually, but that after a few seconds it is stope again.

what could be wron?
is there something more I should do?

I did not find much on using buildout on windows. So I would appreciate
pointers to documentations.

thanks
robert

Dieter Maurer Dieter Maurer

Re: zope does not start under windows: To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.

robert rottermann wrote at 2012-2-1 18:11 +0100:

>I copied a buildout directory from linux to windows.
>On linux I can bootstrap/buildout it without problems and the site can
>be started.
>
>On windows I did bootstrap/buildout it also without problems using
>python2.6.
>I then installed zope as a service with
>bin\instance.exe install
>and started it using services.msc.
>
>when I now try to start the instance with
>bin\instance.exe fg
>
>i get the error:
>To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.

This indicates that your service is running. Stop it, before
you try to start Zope in the foreground.

--
Dieter

Derek Broughton-3 Derek Broughton-3

On Feb 6, 3:22 am, "Dieter Maurer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> robert rottermann wrote at 2012-2-1 18:11 +0100:
>
> >when I now try to start the instance with
> >bin\instance.exe fg
>
> >i get the error:
> >To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.
>
> This indicates that your service is running. Stop it, before
> you try to start Zope in the foreground.

On Windows, doesn't that usually just mean that the lock files didn't
get cleared when you last stopped the process? (...var/instance.lock
& ...var/instance.pid)

Larry Pitcher Larry Pitcher

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 07:16 -0800, derek wrote:

> On Feb 6, 3:22 am, "Dieter Maurer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > robert rottermann wrote at 2012-2-1 18:11 +0100:
> >
> > >when I now try to start the instance with
> > >bin\instance.exe fg
> >
> > >i get the error:
> > >To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first.
> >
> > This indicates that your service is running. Stop it, before
> > you try to start Zope in the foreground.
>
> On Windows, doesn't that usually just mean that the lock files didn't
> get cleared when you last stopped the process? (...var/instance.lock
> & ...var/instance.pid)

Hi Derek,

If you're really sure that the service isn't running, deleting those
files would be a good idea.

BTW, how did you originally install Plone on your Windows box? With the
Installer?

--
Larry Pitcher
Catapult Solutions

Web:     www.catapultsolutions.net
Email:   [hidden email]
Office:  509.849.2660
Mobile:  509.629.1376
Skype:   larry.pitcher

On Feb 6, 12:50 pm, Larry Pitcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 07:16 -0800, derek wrote:

> > > This indicates that your service is running. Stop it, before
> > > you try to start Zope in the foreground.
>
> > On Windows, doesn't that usually just mean that the lock files didn't
> > get cleared when you last stopped the process? (...var/instance.lock
> > & ...var/instance.pid)
>
> If you're really sure that the service isn't running, deleting those
> files would be a good idea.
>
> BTW, how did you originally install Plone on your Windows box? With the
> Installer?

I'm not the guy with the problem.  It's my experience that if you
start a Windows Plone instance in the foreground, the lock file is
never deleted, and you have to delete it manually before you can
restart Plone.  If you start it as a service, and use the services
menu or the plone controller to stop it, the lock file clears, but I
if you manage to manually kill the task I would expect the file to
remain.