please revert merging of PLIP 20256 (social media meta tags)

hvelarde hvelarde

please revert merging of PLIP 20256 (social media meta tags)

As already discussed in https://dev.plone.org/ticket/20256, merging of
this feature into the Plone core sets a dangerous precedent, IMO.

If we feel Dublin Core is no longer relevant, it has to be replaced by a
new open standard like Linked Open Data and not by social media meta
tags that are not open, but defined by a handful of big corporations
that are trying to control the internet.

Including things like Twitter Cards in the core is going to be
dangerous, painful and needless; we have add-ons for that are more
flexible and easier to maintain.

Please revert this and let's continue discussing options.

Nathan Van Gheem-3 Nathan Van Gheem-3

Re: please revert merging of PLIP 20256 (social media meta tags)

Hector,

I know you've had strong opinions on this.

It was voted on by the framework team and accepted.

The change is innocuous but provides a nice experience OOTB for plone sites sharing links social media. The change is not evil. We can modify it easily enough going forward. We're not endorsing anything--we're just understanding that most of the world uses twitter and facebook. It's really not a big deal IMO.

That being said, I would have been okay if it was rejected. However, it was accepted. Please respect the decisions and work the framework team and others working on core put into it.

-Nathan

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Hector Velarde <[hidden email]> wrote:
As already discussed in https://dev.plone.org/ticket/20256, merging of
this feature into the Plone core sets a dangerous precedent, IMO.

If we feel Dublin Core is no longer relevant, it has to be replaced by a
new open standard like Linked Open Data and not by social media meta
tags that are not open, but defined by a handful of big corporations
that are trying to control the internet.

Including things like Twitter Cards in the core is going to be
dangerous, painful and needless; we have add-ons for that are more
flexible and easier to maintain.

Please revert this and let's continue discussing options.

Nathan Van Gheem
Solutions Architect
Wildcard Corp

hvelarde hvelarde

Re: please revert merging of PLIP 20256 (social media meta tags)

Nathan:

I respect the framework team work and decisions but I strongly disagree
on this one.

I have nothing else to add besides what I expressed on the PLIP itself.

best regards

Jota Jota

Re: please revert merging of PLIP 20256 (social media meta tags)

hvelarde wrote
Nathan:
I respect the framework team work and decisions but I strongly disagree
on this one.
I have nothing else to add besides what I expressed on the PLIP itself.
best regards

Hector,
just for you to know that you are totally right and you are not alone on this one.
Including this in Plone core is just *PLAIN STUPIDITY* and very, very short sighted.

But, at this stage, this is exactly the behaviour I expect from the core "developers" and the decision makers.....
So, no real surprise here, unfortunately.
J.