lxml versions

Matt Hamilton Matt Hamilton

lxml versions

Before I go digging through code,
anyone know why we are pinned to lxml
2.3.6 with Plone and not using lxml 3.x?

-Matt

David Glick (Plone) David Glick (Plone)

Re: lxml versions

On 10/29/13, 9:08 AM, Matt Hamilton wrote:
> Before I go digging through code,
> anyone know why we are pinned to lxml
> 2.3.6 with Plone and not using lxml 3.x?

I'm not aware of a reason other than that no one has gotten around to
updating it.

Whoever updates it should look through the changelog to see if there are
any significant changes that would affect us, and should make sure that
tests continue to pass after updating.

Laurence Rowe Laurence Rowe

Re: lxml versions

On 29 October 2013 09:08, Matt Hamilton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Before I go digging through code,
anyone know why we are pinned to lxml
2.3.6 with Plone and not using lxml 3.x?

I vaguely remember availability of Windows binaries being an issue when I tried to bump from 2.3.6 to 2.3.7 some time ago.

Laurence

Juan Pablo Giménez Juan Pablo Giménez

Re: lxml versions

2013/10/29 Matt Hamilton <[hidden email]>
Before I go digging through code,
anyone know why we are pinned to lxml
2.3.6 with Plone and not using lxml 3.x?

Hi Matt,

  I was talking about that... if you upgrade to 3.x you must add 'cssselect' package to dependencies because is not part of lxml since 3.0
  Besides that we have it working in a project and it fixes the bug related in my thread.

--
Juan Pablo Giménez
skype & twitter: jpggimenez

Fred van Dijk Fred van Dijk

Re: lxml versions

Hi,

Just happened to talk about this with colleagues this afternoon.

experimental.cssselect is a requirement of diazo, which is a fork of the csselect subpackage included in lxml from the 2.3.x series with some fixes, last updated may 2012. Since cssselect is now a separate package maybe experimental.cssselect could be cleaned up as well.

Cheers,

Fred van Dijk
--
Zest Software
Hoefsmidstraat 41

Op 29 okt. 2013, om 18:31 heeft Juan Pablo Giménez <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

>   look at this thread, http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAEAdVHuBiyA2nL-yvokBp6SB8EL1jRRE%3DOvTDbBprEM0LNY5sA%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=plone-developers
>
>   I was talking about that... if you upgrade to 3.x you must add 'cssselect' package to dependencies because is not part of lxml since 3.0
>   Besides that we have it working in a project and it fixes the bug related in my thread.
>

> --
> Juan Pablo Giménez
> skype & twitter: jpggimenez
> Simples Consultoria

hvelarde hvelarde

Re: lxml versions

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Laurence Rowe Laurence Rowe

Re: lxml versions

The experimental.cssselect packages renders css selectors to xsl:template match compatible location selectors (which are not quite the same as xpaths.) Ideally this would be implemented on top of cssselect, but doing so cleanly would probably involve changes to cssselect itself. A worthwhile project if someone has the interest.

Laurence

On 29 October 2013 11:59, Héctor Velarde <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29-10-2013 16:22, Fred van Dijk wrote:
experimental.cssselect is a requirement of diazo, which is a fork of the csselect subpackage included in lxml from the 2.3.x series with some fixes, last updated may 2012. Since cssselect is now a separate package maybe experimental.cssselect could be cleaned up as well.

HV> +1

Alessandro Pisa Alessandro Pisa

Re: lxml versions

On 29 October 2013 22:46, Laurence Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The experimental.cssselect packages renders css selectors to xsl:template
> match compatible location selectors (which are not quite the same as
> xpaths.) Ideally this would be implemented on top of cssselect, but doing so
> cleanly would probably involve changes to cssselect itself. A worthwhile
> project if someone has the interest.

In my opinion it would be nice to ship Plone 5 with a newer version of
lxml, otherwise there is a big chance that developers will get in
trouble using other libraries.

For example today I stumbled upon an issue with the latest version of
WeasyPrint requiring lxml 3.

If I am able I would try to work on this at the Cathedral Sprint!

Ciao
--
http://alepisa.blogspot.com
Esalando Prassi

Steve McMahon Steve McMahon

Re: lxml versions

I suggest we run up the version of lxml to the max, run all tests, then make minor fixes or lxml version rollbacks until all passes.

What we shouldn't do (if we can avoid it) is increase the *required* version of lxml. That's guaranteed grief for everyone installing on older Linuxes or perennially out-of-date OS's like OS X.

On 12/19/13, 8:02 AM, Alessandro Pisa wrote:

> On 29 October 2013 22:46, Laurence Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The experimental.cssselect packages renders css selectors to xsl:template
>> match compatible location selectors (which are not quite the same as
>> xpaths.) Ideally this would be implemented on top of cssselect, but doing so
>> cleanly would probably involve changes to cssselect itself. A worthwhile
>> project if someone has the interest.
>>
> In my opinion it would be nice to ship Plone 5 with a newer version of
> lxml, otherwise there is a big chance that developers will get in
> trouble using other libraries.
>
> For example today I stumbled upon an issue with the latest version of
> WeasyPrint requiring lxml 3.
>
> If I am able I would try to work on this at the Cathedral Sprint!

Sure, just update it in the coredev buildout and make sure bin/alltests
still passes before you push it.

On 19 December 2013 08:02, Alessandro Pisa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 29 October 2013 22:46, Laurence Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The experimental.cssselect packages renders css selectors to xsl:template
> match compatible location selectors (which are not quite the same as
> xpaths.) Ideally this would be implemented on top of cssselect, but doing so
> cleanly would probably involve changes to cssselect itself. A worthwhile
> project if someone has the interest.

In my opinion it would be nice to ship Plone 5 with a newer version of
lxml, otherwise there is a big chance that developers will get in
trouble using other libraries.

For example today I stumbled upon an issue with the latest version of
WeasyPrint requiring lxml 3.

If I am able I would try to work on this at the Cathedral Sprint!

Just for the record, the experimental.cssselect refactoring I was suggesting has nothing to do with the particular lxml version being used. IIRC lxml 3.x works fine with diazo. We've held back on updating the version because of lack of windows binary eggs. Unfortunately it looks like only .exe files are being built now, though it should be possible to repack a .exe as a .egg without too much work:

Laurence

AnthonyG AnthonyG

Re: lxml versions

Bit of a late reply I know but Plone buildout already jumped to 2.3.6 which doesn't have windows binaries and causes it to fail on my machine.  If I pin to 2.3 it's fine.

The latest version which I can work with on windows is 3.2.   I don't see why we can't bump it up to that.