Quantcast

fixes for new-style collections

12
Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: fixes for new-style collections

On 30/03/2012, at 5:40 PM, David Glick wrote:

> One of the last blockers for Plone 4.2 is fixing some issues in
> integrating new-style collections. Eric Steele did a lot of work on
> this
> at the Cioppino sprint (especially making sure the date criteria work
> reasonably and that a new site gets created with new-style news and
> events collections). I just followed up on that by fixing the test
> setup
> and a bunch of tests that were broken due to the switch.
>
> There are a few remaining broken tests which seem to be due to actual
> issues:
> 1. We currently have both the old collection portlet from
> plone.portlet.collection and a new, very similar one from
> plone.app.collection. This seems like a very confusing situation for
> users. I think we should only have one collection portlet that works
> with either type of collection (either via conditional logic to get
> the
> results for each type of collection, or by adding a backwards-
> compatible
> API to new-style collections).
> 2. The browser_collection_views.txt test in CMFPlone shows that the
> "Tabular view" is breaking for new-style collections.

I might be mistaken but I was just looking at the code on github and
ability to pick metadata fields to display on the tabular view is not
there. This might explain that failing test.

David Glick (GW) David Glick (GW)

On 4/16/12 9:52 PM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> On 30/03/2012, at 5:40 PM, David Glick wrote:
>
>> One of the last blockers for Plone 4.2 is fixing some issues in
>> integrating new-style collections. Eric Steele did a lot of work on
>> this
>> at the Cioppino sprint (especially making sure the date criteria work
>> reasonably and that a new site gets created with new-style news and
>> events collections). I just followed up on that by fixing the test
>> setup
>> and a bunch of tests that were broken due to the switch.
>>
>> There are a few remaining broken tests which seem to be due to actual
>> issues:
>> 1. We currently have both the old collection portlet from
>> plone.portlet.collection and a new, very similar one from
>> plone.app.collection. This seems like a very confusing situation for
>> users. I think we should only have one collection portlet that works
>> with either type of collection (either via conditional logic to get
>> the
>> results for each type of collection, or by adding a backwards-
>> compatible
>> API to new-style collections).
>> 2. The browser_collection_views.txt test in CMFPlone shows that the
>> "Tabular view" is breaking for new-style collections.
> I might be mistaken but I was just looking at the code on github and
> ability to pick metadata fields to display on the tabular view is not
> there. This might explain that failing test.

Quite possibly. I've personally got along quite fine without ever using
the tabular view, so don't feel like spending time supporting it, but if
someone who needs it wants to add this, that would be encouraged. :)

----------
David Glick
 Web Developer
 [hidden email]
 206.286.1235x32

GiveBIG is coming! Mark your calendar for May 2 and get ready to give big to Groundwire
on this community-wide day of giving.

http://www.seattlefoundation.org/npos/Pages/Groundwire.aspx

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

On 23/04/2012, at 2:27 PM, David Glick wrote:

> On 4/16/12 9:52 PM, Dylan Jay wrote:
>> On 30/03/2012, at 5:40 PM, David Glick wrote:
>>
>>> One of the last blockers for Plone 4.2 is fixing some issues in
>>> integrating new-style collections. Eric Steele did a lot of work on
>>> this
>>> at the Cioppino sprint (especially making sure the date criteria
>>> work
>>> reasonably and that a new site gets created with new-style news and
>>> events collections). I just followed up on that by fixing the test
>>> setup
>>> and a bunch of tests that were broken due to the switch.
>>>
>>> There are a few remaining broken tests which seem to be due to
>>> actual
>>> issues:
>>> 1. We currently have both the old collection portlet from
>>> plone.portlet.collection and a new, very similar one from
>>> plone.app.collection. This seems like a very confusing situation for
>>> users. I think we should only have one collection portlet that works
>>> with either type of collection (either via conditional logic to get
>>> the
>>> results for each type of collection, or by adding a backwards-
>>> compatible
>>> API to new-style collections).
>>> 2. The browser_collection_views.txt test in CMFPlone shows that the
>>> "Tabular view" is breaking for new-style collections.
>> I might be mistaken but I was just looking at the code on github and
>> ability to pick metadata fields to display on the tabular view is not
>> there. This might explain that failing test.
>>
> Quite possibly. I've personally got along quite fine without ever
> using the tabular view, so don't feel like spending time supporting
> it, but if someone who needs it wants to add this, that would be
> encouraged. :)

I might have a go at making something better that supports adding
arbitrary fields into multiple kinds of listing views but that would
be 4.3 if accepted at all. Which means that 4.2 when using
p.a.collections is not feature compatible with old collections. but
since old collections are still there then maybe thats an acceptable
regression?

On 4/22/12 9:34 PM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> On 23/04/2012, at 2:27 PM, David Glick wrote:

>>> I might be mistaken but I was just looking at the code on github and
>>> ability to pick metadata fields to display on the tabular view is not
>>> there. This might explain that failing test.
>>>
>> Quite possibly. I've personally got along quite fine without ever
>> using the tabular view, so don't feel like spending time supporting
>> it, but if someone who needs it wants to add this, that would be
>> encouraged. :)
> I might have a go at making something better that supports adding
> arbitrary fields into multiple kinds of listing views but that would
> be 4.3 if accepted at all. Which means that 4.2 when using
> p.a.collections is not feature compatible with old collections. but
> since old collections are still there then maybe thats an acceptable
> regression?

I would call it a known issue that could be fixed at any time as a
bugfix as long as someone is motivated to do the work. The new
collections are already better than the old collections for 90% of cases
that don't need this feature; I don't think we should let it hold up a
release.
David