collective.geo

Norman Fournier-3 Norman Fournier-3

collective.geo

Hello,

I am looking to add locations and maps to a Plone site so my users can show where they are located. I have landed on collective.geo, which seems to be the best practice in the Plone arena. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is another product that is preferred.

In the documentation for collective.geo the list of requirements is quite extensive, including:

BeautifulSoup (geopy)
geopy >=0.98
Plone >= 4.2
collective.geo.contentlocations >= 3.1
        collective.geo.mapwidget
                plone.app.z3cform
                collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
                collective.geo.openlayers >= 3.1
                collective.geo.settings >= 3.0
        collective.geo.geographer
collective.geo.kml >= 3.2
collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1

Beautiful soup and geopy don't install via buildout, as far as I can tell, and a collective.geo.contentlocations has a couple of requirements, one of which has four requirements also.

My questions are is all of this software necessary or is there an simpler way to enable maps in Plone? Where, in relation to the plone, do I install BeautifulSoup and geopy?

Thank you for your help.

Norman
johannes raggam johannes raggam

Re: collective.geo

hi,

collective.geo.* looks like a full featured geo solution, but it's
complexity and dependencies are also something i was afraid to introduce
in my projects.

so i jumped on this stack:
https://github.com/collective/plone.formwidget.geolocation/tree/thet-refactor
(i should merge the refactor branch back to master...)

and
https://github.com/collective/collective.geolocationbehavior

it uses the leaflet project by using this plone integration:
https://github.com/collective/collective.js.leaflet

example integration of this stack into plone.app.event here:
https://github.com/collective/collective.venue

that's all for dexterity. for archetypes, there is still the
Products.Maps project: https://github.com/collective/Products.Maps

best, johannes

On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 12:36 -0600, Norman Fournier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to add locations and maps to a Plone site so my users can show where they are located. I have landed on collective.geo, which seems to be the best practice in the Plone arena. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is another product that is preferred.
>
> In the documentation for collective.geo the list of requirements is quite extensive, including:
>
> BeautifulSoup (geopy)
> geopy >=0.98
> Plone >= 4.2
> collective.geo.contentlocations >= 3.1
> collective.geo.mapwidget
> plone.app.z3cform
> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
> collective.geo.openlayers >= 3.1
> collective.geo.settings >= 3.0
> collective.geo.geographer
> collective.geo.kml >= 3.2
> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>
> Beautiful soup and geopy don't install via buildout, as far as I can tell, and a collective.geo.contentlocations has a couple of requirements, one of which has four requirements also.
>
> My questions are is all of this software necessary or is there an simpler way to enable maps in Plone? Where, in relation to the plone, do I install BeautifulSoup and geopy?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Norman
programmatic  web development
di(fh) johannes raggam / thet
python plone zope development
plone framework  team  member
mail: [hidden email]
web:  http://programmatic.pro
      http://bluedynamics.com

johannes raggam johannes raggam

Re: collective.geo

ah, and there is also:
https://github.com/collective/collective.gmaplocation

On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 12:36 -0600, Norman Fournier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to add locations and maps to a Plone site so my users can show where they are located. I have landed on collective.geo, which seems to be the best practice in the Plone arena. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is another product that is preferred.
>
> In the documentation for collective.geo the list of requirements is quite extensive, including:
>
> BeautifulSoup (geopy)
> geopy >=0.98
> Plone >= 4.2
> collective.geo.contentlocations >= 3.1
> collective.geo.mapwidget
> plone.app.z3cform
> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
> collective.geo.openlayers >= 3.1
> collective.geo.settings >= 3.0
> collective.geo.geographer
> collective.geo.kml >= 3.2
> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>
> Beautiful soup and geopy don't install via buildout, as far as I can tell, and a collective.geo.contentlocations has a couple of requirements, one of which has four requirements also.
>
> My questions are is all of this software necessary or is there an simpler way to enable maps in Plone? Where, in relation to the plone, do I install BeautifulSoup and geopy?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Norman
programmatic  web development
di(fh) johannes raggam / thet
python plone zope development
plone framework  team  member
mail: [hidden email]
web:  http://programmatic.pro
      http://bluedynamics.com

Norman Fournier-3 Norman Fournier-3

Re: collective.geo

That is what I went with. I am testing it now. Thank you for your help Johannes. I appreciate it.

Norman

On 2014-04-29, at 1:16 PM, Johannes Raggam wrote:

> ah, and there is also:
> https://github.com/collective/collective.gmaplocation
>
> On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 12:36 -0600, Norman Fournier wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking to add locations and maps to a Plone site so my users can show where they are located. I have landed on collective.geo, which seems to be the best practice in the Plone arena. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is another product that is preferred.
>>
>> In the documentation for collective.geo the list of requirements is quite extensive, including:
>>
>> BeautifulSoup (geopy)
>> geopy >=0.98
>> Plone >= 4.2
>> collective.geo.contentlocations >= 3.1
>> collective.geo.mapwidget
>> plone.app.z3cform
>> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>> collective.geo.openlayers >= 3.1
>> collective.geo.settings >= 3.0
>> collective.geo.geographer
>> collective.geo.kml >= 3.2
>> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>>
>> Beautiful soup and geopy don't install via buildout, as far as I can tell, and a collective.geo.contentlocations has a couple of requirements, one of which has four requirements also.
>>
>> My questions are is all of this software necessary or is there an simpler way to enable maps in Plone? Where, in relation to the plone, do I install BeautifulSoup and geopy?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Norman

> programmatic  web development
> di(fh) johannes raggam / thet
> python plone zope development
> plone framework  team  member
> mail: [hidden email]
> web:  http://programmatic.pro
>      http://bluedynamics.com

Norman Fournier-3 Norman Fournier-3

Re: collective.geo

Well, that didn't go so well - I installed it, put in some lat and long coordinates for a canadian city and it threw up Ulan Bator. Going to work my way down the list Johannes provided.

Norman

On 2014-04-29, at 2:38 PM, Norman Fournier wrote:

> That is what I went with. I am testing it now. Thank you for your help Johannes. I appreciate it.
>
> Norman
>
> On 2014-04-29, at 1:16 PM, Johannes Raggam wrote:
>
>> ah, and there is also:
>> https://github.com/collective/collective.gmaplocation
>>
>> On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 12:36 -0600, Norman Fournier wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am looking to add locations and maps to a Plone site so my users can show where they are located. I have landed on collective.geo, which seems to be the best practice in the Plone arena. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is another product that is preferred.
>>>
>>> In the documentation for collective.geo the list of requirements is quite extensive, including:
>>>
>>> BeautifulSoup (geopy)
>>> geopy >=0.98
>>> Plone >= 4.2
>>> collective.geo.contentlocations >= 3.1
>>> collective.geo.mapwidget
>>> plone.app.z3cform
>>> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>>> collective.geo.openlayers >= 3.1
>>> collective.geo.settings >= 3.0
>>> collective.geo.geographer
>>> collective.geo.kml >= 3.2
>>> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>>>
>>> Beautiful soup and geopy don't install via buildout, as far as I can tell, and a collective.geo.contentlocations has a couple of requirements, one of which has four requirements also.
>>>
>>> My questions are is all of this software necessary or is there an simpler way to enable maps in Plone? Where, in relation to the plone, do I install BeautifulSoup and geopy?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>
>>> Norman
>>
>> --
>> programmatic  web development
>> di(fh) johannes raggam / thet
>> python plone zope development
>> plone framework  team  member
>> mail: [hidden email]
>> web:  http://programmatic.pro
>>     http://bluedynamics.com

Luca Fabbri Luca Fabbri

Re: collective.geo

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Norman Fournier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking to add locations and maps to a Plone site so my users can show where they are located. I have landed on collective.geo, which seems to be the best practice in the Plone arena. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is another product that is preferred.
>
> In the documentation for collective.geo the list of requirements is quite extensive, including:
>
> BeautifulSoup (geopy)
> geopy >=0.98
> Plone >= 4.2
> collective.geo.contentlocations >= 3.1
>         collective.geo.mapwidget
>                 plone.app.z3cform
>                 collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>                 collective.geo.openlayers >= 3.1
>                 collective.geo.settings >= 3.0
>         collective.geo.geographer
> collective.geo.kml >= 3.2
> collective.z3cform.colorpicker >= 1.1
>
> Beautiful soup and geopy don't install via buildout, as far as I can tell, and a collective.geo.contentlocations has a couple of requirements, one of which has four requirements also.
>
> My questions are is all of this software necessary or is there an simpler way to enable maps in Plone?

Probably not for very simple tasks, but keep in mind that
collective.geo is a very powerful and extensible tool (not only a
simple Google Maps integration).

> Where, in relation to the plone, do I install BeautifulSoup and geopy?

I commonly installed geopy using the packaging of the operating system
and I never found any problem.

BeautifulSoup is totally another kind of problem that came from the
library's maintainer(s). Often he don't release on pypi but on
external repos, sometimes old releases disappear, ... it's not a c.geo
fault.

--
-- luca

twitter: http://twitter.com/keul