can't get a user to see the Edit tab

mmartinez@accuray.com mmartinez@accuray.com

can't get a user to see the Edit tab

I'm having a Dickens of a time trying to allow a user to edit a page. no matter what I do, i can't get him to see the "Edit tab". I don't know if I'm doing something wrong (pilot error), or if there's something wrong in my site configuration. I'm the sysadmin for the plone  server/site, so I should be able to grant any permissions I see fit.

What I've done is: I navigate to both the folder and the page within the folder that I want the user to be able to edit. I go to Sharing, look up the username, and click on the "Edit" button and click Save. Everything seems okay. But when I log in as the user, he doesn't see the Edit Tab for that page. If he navigates to the folder, he can add items to the folder, so I don't understand why he can't Edit.

Any help? I'm pretty confused as to how these things are supposed to work in Plone.

-Mike
espen espen

Re: can't get a user to see the Edit tab

Sounds like the user does not have the right permissions.
There is a (extremely small) possibility that it has something to do with the UI, you can check this by going to (logged in as a user)

If you get permission warning or question about logging in at that url, you should either upgrade his permissions, or click the «sharing» tab on the document or the folder.
If that still does not work, you will have to edit the permission on the content type itself.

Most likely, your user is just a member, in which case you should go to the «Users and Groups» control panel and add the user to Editors (or / and some of the other «Rights».
(I am pretty sure this is what you have forgotten)

PS: When a new user is added, he gets the rights as a «Member», which is basically «no editing rights»..

You might want to read this:

Espen

10. apr. 2014 kl. 04:45 skrev [hidden email] [via Plone] <[hidden email]>:

[...]

http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/can-t-get-a-user-to-see-the-Edit-tab-tp7570983.html
To start a new topic under Installation, Setup, Upgrades, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Plone, click here.
NAML

mmartinez@accuray.com mmartinez@accuray.com

RE: can't get a user to see the Edit tab

Actually I figured it out. The page in question was in published state. The user needs to change it to “Retract”, then they will see the Edit tab. They can make their edits and then submit it for publication.

Michael Martinez

Linux Sysadmin

Accuray Incorporated

1310 Chesapeake Terrace

Sunnyvale, CA 94089

USA

Tel: +1.408.789.4231

[hidden email]

[...]

http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/can-t-get-a-user-to-see-the-Edit-tab-tp7570983p7570985.html

To unsubscribe from can't get a user to see the Edit tab, click here.
NAML

WARNING - CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION:
 The information contained in the e-mail may contain confidential
 and privileged information and is intended solely for the use of
 the intended recipient(s). Access for any review, re-transmission,
 dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in regard
 and reliance upon this e-mail by persons or entities other than
 the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized and prohibited. If you
 are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
 reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and
 any attachments.