Quantcast

Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Aric Walke r Aric Walke r

Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

HI all,

Newbie to Plone/zope but really like the environment.  My issue is I used the windows installer created a site. (window XP)
(Day1 )Modified some CSS changed the logo updated the images added some divs in a page. Dev mode everything is fine I see my changes.  Looks perfect.

(Day 2) I bring my laptop up start instance in the Plone controller the instance starts then stops when I hit the localhost:8080/applicationname  I go to my services(in windows) start the Zope service" Zope instance at C:\Program Files\Plone\parts\instance" it starts then 2 minutes later it stops. No logs entries in the var/log files.

I try the command line instance.exe fg  I get this error "To run the program in the foreground, please stop it first. "

Problem is I see no service to stop when I do and instance.exe stop I get this error"ERROR: The Zope Windows service has not been started. "

How do I get my instance back up? Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Aric
Karl Johan Kleist Karl Johan Kleist

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Have you tried the Event Viewer (in Windows Adm. Tools)? Should give you some clues about what's happening.
Aric Walke r Aric Walke r

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

the error is from the event view

Zope-372241316 (Zope instance at C:\Program Files\Plone\parts\instance): Failed to open child shutdown event Global\Zope-6980-2

Not sure how to fix found some posts they said don't run in debug mode but that is cumbersome, is there any fix I can get?
Aric Walke r Aric Walke r

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Work around (plonectl console) does not work instance will not stay up. Need a fix can Plone 4.0.2 run on windows?  Can anyone help..

The error I get is:
Zope-372241316 (Zope instance at C:\Program Files\Plone\parts\instance): Failed to open child shutdown event Global\Zope-6980-2

vannivincenzi vannivincenzi

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

HI,
I just install plone 4.0.4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit and since not restart the server (virtual Server on VMWARE) the service runnig e restart correctly.
When I just restart the server (scheduled daily) the service start but in few second stop with the following error:
Zope-649376063 (Zope instance at C:\Plone.4.0\parts\instance): Failed to open child shutdown event Global\Zope-1504-2

This error occured also 2 week ago with my previous Plone 4.0.2 and not solve it. I suppose this may be caused from Last Windows Update that I download and install weekly that are reestricted some security control.

I don't know what and how ... I am looking for about ...

you can send a private email if you want
thank you for your reply and regards
vannivincenzi vannivincenzi

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

I try to delete the instance.pid and instance.lock files and the service starting correctly.

Now I think that the restart server stop the zope service and not delete this files ...
Do you know how to fix this ?

Thanks for all reply and regards
Vanni Vincenzi
vannivincenzi vannivincenzi

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Well, also about ...

for my usage I restart the server daily via shutdown command scheduled, I add a "NET STOP" zope service before shutdown.
This delete correctly the 2 files instance.pid and instance.lock and next service starting correctly, but in case of no controlled shutdown this is a problem and need to manual maintenance ...
thanks and regards
Vanni Vincenzi
aleximas aleximas

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Karl Johan Kleist Karl Johan Kleist

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Alberto Lopes Alberto Lopes

Re: Windows(XP) Zope instance wont start (Plone 4.0.2)

Aric,

Some time ago, I had a problem just like your in my Windows 7 computer at home.

Somehow, if the Zope service is stopped by shutting down the computer (instead of stopping the service like a nice boy using services.msc) the pid and lock files for the process won't get deleted.

I just went to the \var folder of my Plone installation folder and deleted the instance.pid and instance.lock files (after making sure the pythonw.exe process was not running).

Then I could start Plone alright.

If your problem is the same as mine, just make sure you shut down your Plone instance nicely before shutting down the computer.

Alberto