Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

monks monks

Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

hi
i've installed collective.camleo-0.1 through buildout.
But im not able to add new Camleo content type. its documentation doesn't
also say much.
I'm trying to solve issue of viewing an uploaded PDF file inside Plone
container itself.

Will this solve my problem ?
I've already asked this question and sol. i recv'd was that , viewing an
uploaded PDF docm, depends upon client-side settings and not on
plone-side.

I've also tested this with PloneExfile installation, but somehow failed at
step where contents gets saved, it produces some error.

Thanks for any pointers ..!

Mayank Mathur

Mayank
ajung ajung

Re: Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

collective.camaleo is working out-of-the-box as expected. The documentation is clear
about the installation and it installs like any other Plone add-on using
Buildout by adding the package to the eggs and zcml options.

-aj

monks wrote

hi
i've installed collective.camleo-0.1 through buildout.
But im not able to add new Camleo content type. its documentation doesn't
also say much.
I'm trying to solve issue of viewing an uploaded PDF file inside Plone
container itself.

Will this solve my problem ?
I've already asked this question and sol. i recv'd was that , viewing an
uploaded PDF docm, depends upon client-side settings and not on
plone-side.

I've also tested this with PloneExfile installation, but somehow failed at
step where contents gets saved, it produces some error.

Thanks for any pointers ..!

Mayank Mathur

Karl Johan Kleist Karl Johan Kleist

Re: Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/8755

monks wrote
I'm trying to solve issue of viewing an uploaded PDF file inside Plone
container itself.
Dale DeWitt Dale DeWitt

Re: Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/collective.calameo/0.1 is this spelled
correctly?

monks monks

Re: Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

hi
thanks for pointers.
But the Patches described in this ticket doesn't seems to work in my case.
I've made & applied patches accordingly, but still, when clicking on
uploaded PDF attchment, it asks for Open/Download option, which i dont
want in my case.

are there any other changes reqd for this / any other Solution ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Mayank

Mayank
Dieter Maurer Dieter Maurer

Mayank Mathur wrote at 2009-10-23 13:53 +0530:
>I'm trying to solve issue of viewing an uploaded PDF file inside Plone
>container itself.

We might be better able to help when you describe your "issue" in (much)
more detail.

> I've already asked this question and sol. i recv'd was that , viewing an
> uploaded PDF docm, depends upon client-side settings and not on
> plone-side.

Plone could try to transform the PDF to HTML. As you can see with Google,
the result may be quite unsatisfying.

Plone never presents content
directly to the user but always delivers it to an HTTP client which then
is responsible for the presentation. The typical HTTP clients can
present HTML content themselves but use plugins or external applications
for the presentation of many other content types (such as "application/pdf").
Typically, the client can be configured how to handle specific
content types: e.g. "show "application/pdf" by launching 'acrobat reader'"
versus "always store it to disk". The server has limited ways to
suggest storing versus displaying with the "Content-Disposition" response
header.

Thus, the only things, you can expect from Plone:

  *  it sends the correct "Content-Type" ("application/pdf" for PDF
     documents)

  *  it sends the "Content-Disposition" header you want ("inline", if
     you want it to be presented rather than stored to disk)

Other things must happen at the client side.

--
Dieter

David Brenneman David Brenneman

Re: Viewing PDF attachment in Plone !

I've written a Plone product specifically for this purpose. It is
called collective.pdfpeek.

Have you looked at the collective.pdfpeek product?
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/collective.pdfpeek

Pdfpeek uses ghostscript installed on the server to generate image
previews of each page of a pdf file that is uploaded to ATFile
objects. These images are stored in annotations on the file object
itself. The javascript in the user interface needs a bit of work, but
the back-end is solid. Pdfpeek operates completely independently of
the portal transforms framework and is actively being developed; a
Plone 4 version is in the works. I encourage you to check it out and
determine if it suits your use case. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,

David

David Brenneman
Open Source Software Development