Unable to send test e-mail

James Hanson James Hanson

Unable to send test e-mail

We are getting the following message when setting up the Mail settings and doing the "save and send test email".
Error Unable to send test e-mail [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:1411809D:SSL routines:SSL_CHECK_SERVERHELLO_TLSEXT:tls invalid.

Sending through our SMTP server works from the command line.

Plone version 4.2.1 on linux 2.6.33.7-server-2mnb

Not finding much help from searching.
James.

Mikko Ohtamaa Mikko Ohtamaa

Re: Unable to send test e-mail

On 18 June 2015 at 08:45, James Hanson <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are getting the following message when setting up the Mail settings and doing the "save and send test email".
Error Unable to send test e-mail [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:1411809D:SSL routines:SSL_CHECK_SERVERHELLO_TLSEXT:tls invalid.

Sending through our SMTP server works from the command line.

Plone version 4.2.1 on linux 2.6.33.7-server-2mnb

Not finding much help from searching.

It is related to Python 2.7, it's SSL built and what default SSL/TLS Python uses when it negotiates the secret connection. Knowing what kind of encryption the mail server uses might give a hint.

Here is a mixed bag of related errors:
Potential causes I come up in my mind are

- Python tries SSLv2 when SSLv3 required

- The server requires Server Name Identification (SNI) support which Python version running Plone supports

Unfortunately I am not sure how to fix, but with more information I am sure this is solvable.

As a work around what you can always do: Setting up a mail server on the server (localhost) which works as a slave for the actual external mail server. Here is an example for Ubuntu Linux and Postfix:

http://opensourcehacker.com/2013/03/26/using-postfix-and-free-mandrill-email-service-for-smtp-on-ubuntu-linux-server/

Thanks,
Mikko

James.