UI team meeting 11 Aug, 2014.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Dylan Jay Dylan Jay
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

UI team meeting 11 Aug, 2014.

Hi,

Thanks for everyone who attended the meeting the other day.
To briefly summarise:

I'm going to step down as leader of the UI team. I feel that it's time for someone else with new ideas and better timezone, to have a go.
To this end, Albert Casado was nominated and accepted the role of leadership of the team. Thank you Albert for stepping up.

Those present were

Ramon Navarro Bosch
Nathan Van Gheem
Guido Stevens
Rob Porter
Chrissy Wainwright
Lewis Dexter Litanzios
Rob Gietema
Albert Casado
Dylan Jay

There was some discussion on how to make the team have more of an influence on development.
These included
- A regular monthly meeting with a core UI team members who commit to attending (more similar to the FWT)
- Centralising a repository of mockups/wireframes, guidance, style guide, user stories, walkthroughs etc on how to improve plone so they are more visible to developers
- Implementing a process whereby all UI related PLIPs are reviewed and approved by the UI team. Ensuring a member of the UI team is present at each FWT meeting
- Workshopping a different part of the user experience each month to see if improvements can be made
- Having core membership such that there is core member at all sprints to ensure that UX expertise is available at the time it is needed.

There was also a general discussion on the difficulties of providing UX guidance within the developer community.
 
Please feel free to add anything else I missed.
Dylan Jay

---
www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
P: +61-2-9955-2830  +44-87-0392-7071 | linkedin.com/in/djay75



_______________________________________________
UI mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.plone.org/mailman/listinfo/plone-ui
Albert Casado Albert Casado
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UI team meeting 11 Aug, 2014.

Hi guys!

We will start moving up the new UI team.

First of all thanks to Ramon, Nathan, Guido, Rob, Chrissy, Lewis, Rob and of course Dylan for the trust!


Anyone that wants to be involved with the UI please just say it, now it is the time. 


As you know for Dylan's email the main intention is to focus the team on the interaction, usability and non-core related changes. In other words, the UI team focus on that so the other teams can focus on core stuff.

When all we return from vacations the idea is to start making a subsite on plone.org to move there all UX, UI and IxD contents.
There, as a unique source of information, all the developers will have a place to find guidance on UI to apply best practices on Plone 5.


So we will focus on:
> Update and clean all HTMLs to as much HTML5 as we can.
> Do all styles on plone in LESS without Bootstrap, just pure Plone LESS that can be easily updated.
> Covering the other teams on their developments. Please guys, if you are doing any sprint or working at home in anything just contact us to give you all needed support on your work.
> Review accessibility, usability and improve the flows and take care of users.
> And be so picky ;-) and try to keep the integrity!


So if you are or know someone that want to be involved on that with knowledge on UX, UI, IxD, CSS, please, let me insist, now is the time!


Cheers,
Albert













2014-08-14 4:38 GMT+02:00 Dylan Jay <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

Thanks for everyone who attended the meeting the other day.
To briefly summarise:

I'm going to step down as leader of the UI team. I feel that it's time for someone else with new ideas and better timezone, to have a go.
To this end, Albert Casado was nominated and accepted the role of leadership of the team. Thank you Albert for stepping up.

Those present were

Ramon Navarro Bosch
Nathan Van Gheem
Guido Stevens
Rob Porter
Chrissy Wainwright
Lewis Dexter Litanzios
Rob Gietema
Albert Casado
Dylan Jay

There was some discussion on how to make the team have more of an influence on development.
These included
- A regular monthly meeting with a core UI team members who commit to attending (more similar to the FWT)
- Centralising a repository of mockups/wireframes, guidance, style guide, user stories, walkthroughs etc on how to improve plone so they are more visible to developers
- Implementing a process whereby all UI related PLIPs are reviewed and approved by the UI team. Ensuring a member of the UI team is present at each FWT meeting
- Workshopping a different part of the user experience each month to see if improvements can be made
- Having core membership such that there is core member at all sprints to ensure that UX expertise is available at the time it is needed.

There was also a general discussion on the difficulties of providing UX guidance within the developer community.

Please feel free to add anything else I missed.
Dylan Jay

---
www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
P: <a href="tel:%2B61-2-9955-2830" value="+61299552830">+61-2-9955-2830  <a href="tel:%2B44-87-0392-7071" value="+448703927071">+44-87-0392-7071 | linkedin.com/in/djay75



_______________________________________________
UI mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.plone.org/mailman/listinfo/plone-ui


_______________________________________________
UI mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.plone.org/mailman/listinfo/plone-ui
Jean Jordaan Jean Jordaan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: UI team meeting 11 Aug, 2014.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Albert Casado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys!

Hi Albert, thanks for spending effort on this!

> When all we return from vacations the idea is to start making a subsite on
> plone.org to move there all UX, UI and IxD contents.
> There, as a unique source of information, all the developers will have a
> place to find guidance on UI to apply best practices on Plone 5.

Awesome, the Plone Human Interface Guidelines :-)
I think a section in docs.plone.org would be great also.

Heh it looks like the Drupal project has some examples and links that we can
take note of:
  https://www.drupal.org/ui-standards
  https://groups.drupal.org/node/14786
  https://groups.drupal.org/node/14422

I'll stick my neck out and reiterate:

- I think one goal should be to establish a single authoritative guide which
  includes mockups and examples. This should include a list of the standards we
  aim for (e.g. accessibility, or those that derive from the UI frameworks we
  choose, such as jquerytools or whatever);

  The guide should be a work in progress, definitely not a stone tablet handed
  down from on high.

- I've seen a lot of paragraphs of text where people explain how they think
  something should work. Perhaps visual tools like codepen.io or dribbble.com
  or balsamiq etc. would help to make discussions more effective and
  convincing.

  esteele reported that at the Emerald Sprint the mockups provided by designers
  who attended helped a lot.

I beg your indulgence for foisting my opinions on everyone without any design
chops to back them up.

--
jean                                              . .. .... //\\\oo///\\
_______________________________________________
UI mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.plone.org/mailman/listinfo/plone-ui