UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

12
Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Hi UI folks,

As previously discussed, I've been working on improving the p.a.theming experience through in-Plone tools for editing theme HTML, CSS and rules.xml files.

Most of the back end and JavaScript is now working, but I'm struggling to decide how to integrate two aspects of the UI:

1) A file manager

This is the newest component. It looks like this. The file manager works as you'd expect, and you can upload files, create new ones, delete, rename and so on (though there's no copy/paste/move support at this stage).

Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 22.45.36.png

2) An editor based on the Cloud9 ACE editor.

Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 22.46.29.png

In the editor, you can choose a file to edit and it is loaded from the server when first requested. Changes are mirrored to a hidden <textarea /> per file, all of which are submitted and saved when you click "Save".

Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two options: "Edit" and "Manage files".

I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.

Is anyone able to suggest / mock up a way to do this?

If you want to test it, simply check out this branch and build (if you have an existing checkout, be sure to update extras/plone.resource as well as the src/ directory):

Cheers,
Martin

Nathan Van Gheem Nathan Van Gheem

Fwd: Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Sorry everyone, forgot to reply all. Trying to use apple mail app and its killing me that cmd+r doesn't auto reply all!

> Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two options: "Edit" and "Manage files".
>
> I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.
Yah, this is a little odd. I think we just have a "manage files" button. Then, we just need edit buttons on the manage files screen that open an overlay with the ACE editor in it. Also, leave the quick file switching functionality available in the ACE editor.

Is the use case of simply managing top-level plone resources something we want to pursue at all? Seems like this functionality should be exposed even if you don't want to put the resource in a theme.

Great work as always Martin. These are killer features.

-Nathan

On Sep 11, 2011, at 4:58 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Hi UI folks,
>
> As previously discussed, I've been working on improving the p.a.theming experience through in-Plone tools for editing theme HTML, CSS and rules.xml files.
>
> Most of the back end and JavaScript is now working, but I'm struggling to decide how to integrate two aspects of the UI:
>
> 1) A file manager
>
> This is the newest component. It looks like this. The file manager works as you'd expect, and you can upload files, create new ones, delete, rename and so on (though there's no copy/paste/move support at this stage).
>
> <Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 22.45.36.png>
>
> 2) An editor based on the Cloud9 ACE editor.
>
> <Screen Shot 2011-09-11 at 22.46.29.png>
>
> In the editor, you can choose a file to edit and it is loaded from the server when first requested. Changes are mirrored to a hidden <textarea /> per file, all of which are submitted and saved when you click "Save".
>
> Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two options: "Edit" and "Manage files".
>
> I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.
>
> Is anyone able to suggest / mock up a way to do this?
>
> If you want to test it, simply check out this branch and build (if you have an existing checkout, be sure to update extras/plone.resource as well as the src/ directory):
>
> https://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.app.theming/branches/optilude-ace
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

Re: Fwd: Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Hi,

Laurence Rowe Laurence Rowe

On 11 September 2011 22:58, Martin Aspeli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two options: "Edit" and "Manage files".
> I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.

What we're trying to create here is essentially an in browser theming
IDE. The control panel doesn't really seem the right place for it -
you want to use all of the space available and once we have CMSUI I
don't think it will work terribly well in an overlay. Once we have a
theme debugger it would be good to integrate that too...

If this IDE was completely independent of the Plone UI then using
something like YUI or jQueryUI wouldn't be a problem. I imagine it
would be a simple three panel thing with a tree view file manager on
the left, a tabbed editor in the main panel, and on the bottom a panel
to show the results of executing the transform or display the log from
the diazo compiler.

Laurence
JonStahl JonStahl

Re: Fwd: Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

I would expect that it will only work for Diazo themes.

:jon

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Espen Moe-Nilssen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to "join in here"
> Can anyone confirm if things the ACE control panel is not working when then
> another theme is selected (like plone classic theme)
> espen
>
> Den 12. sep. 2011 kl. 13.02 skrev Martin Aspeli:
>
> Hi,
> On 12 September 2011 06:13, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry everyone, forgot to reply all. Trying to use apple mail app and its
>> killing me that cmd+r doesn't auto reply all!

espen espen

Re: Fwd: Re: UI request - integrating p.a. theming editor and file manager

Maybe I misunderstand here. My usercase would be like this:
Assume you have an "old" site ( that uses plone's old look and feel. )
You then upgrade to Plone 4.1 and make a new Diazo theme, but want users to add content with a site that looks like "old plone".

*****************************

I still havent had enought time to test ACE properly, but it looks great.
Could something like this be an option:
1) When editing the theme, you go straight to the "file manager", but still have the possibility to choose which file to edit
2) You can click on a file to edit it.

In other words, there is only one screen where  everything "happens" (both the file management and the choosing of which file to edit is at the same place. (PS: They are not part of the same screen... they are the same screen, a bit the oposite as suggested below: instead of the "button to add files", there is a menu to edit the files, or you can click on them)

espen

>I would expect that it will only work for Diazo themes.
>
>:jon
>
>On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Espen Moe-Nilssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am trying to "join in here"
>> Can anyone confirm if things the ACE control panel is not working when then
>> another theme is selected (like plone classic theme)
>> espen
>>
>> Den 12. sep. 2011 kl. 13.02 skrev Martin Aspeli:
>>
>> Hi,
>> On 12 September 2011 06:13, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry everyone, forgot to reply all. Trying to use apple mail app and its
>>> killing me that cmd+r doesn't auto reply all!

Espen Moe-Nilssen
Grieg Medialog AS

On 12 September 2011 15:34, Laurence Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11 September 2011 22:58, Martin Aspeli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, these two views are separate. When you edit an in-ZODB theme in the p.a.theming control panel on the "Manage themes" tab, you have two options: "Edit" and "Manage files".
> I think it would be more natural if these two were part of the same screen, but I'm struggling to understand exactly how that would work visually. I'd like to retain the idea that you can work on multiple files and that you can save all files at once or revert your changes before saving.

What we're trying to create here is essentially an in browser theming
IDE. The control panel doesn't really seem the right place for it -
you want to use all of the space available and once we have CMSUI I
don't think it will work terribly well in an overlay. Once we have a
theme debugger it would be good to integrate that too...

It can take up the full width. I think the control panel is the appropriate place for it right now. Maybe with p.a.cmsui it needs to be tweaked a bit, but actually I think this is the type of use case p.a.cmsui is going to have to be able to accommodate.

If this IDE was completely independent of the Plone UI then using
something like YUI or jQueryUI wouldn't be a problem. I imagine it
would be a simple three panel thing with a tree view file manager on
the left, a tabbed editor in the main panel, and on the bottom a panel
to show the results of executing the transform or display the log from
the diazo compiler.

It's jQuery based now with a few plugins (filetree, prompt, etc). Those resources are deliberately not in portal_css/portal_javascripts, and clearly we can use more libraries if we warrant.

Martin

On 12 September 2011 15:06, Espen Moe-Nilssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to "join in here"

Can anyone confirm if things the ACE control panel is not working when then another theme is selected (like plone classic theme)

Not sure. It should work, but I haven't tested it.

Martin

Nathan Van Gheem Nathan Van Gheem

Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

Few thoughts:

Since we're actually trying to do a full-fledge Diazo IDE here, we might need to go about this a bit differently and we might end up with more of a custom js solution than just integrating a file manager and ACE editor.

Lawrence, I created a mockup to what I think you might be asking for. Maybe we should get a consensus on how we want this to look and work before go too far down the wrong path.

How this could work is that the preview uses the un-saved changes so you can see what it'll look like without it affecting the live site.

Hi,

DiazoIDEMock.pdf (232K) Download Attachment

On 13 September 2011 07:42, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
Few thoughts:

Since we're actually trying to do a full-fledge Diazo IDE here, we might need to go about this a bit differently and we might end up with more of a custom js solution than just integrating a file manager and ACE editor.

I hope we can do this incrementally. I want a PLIP that can go into 4.3, and if that just has a file manager + syntax highlighting editor + the other improvements to the controlpanel, then that's still an important step forward. If we can evolve that towards more debugging/testing/point-and-click type features, all the better, but let's not make the interim goal slip because we have a bigger goal.

Lawrence, I created a mockup to what I think you might be asking for. Maybe we should get a consensus on how we want this to look and work before go too far down the wrong path.

I like it! We may want to consider having a way to preview images though.

How this could work is that the preview uses the un-saved changes so you can see what it'll look like without it affecting the live site.

Let's do the basic file management/editing first and then the preview.

I also think we should make sure this works in a full-width control panel (hide both columns), but we can then turn it into a full-screen affair later if we need to.

Martin

Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

On 13 September 2011 13:38, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention: I don't really like the file manager chosen. Is there any reason you choose that over other Martin?

http://elrte.org/elfinder seems like it could be a better choice.

Not really, only that it was easy to integrate, I could understand the code, and it didn't have a lot of heavy dependencies.

The FWT have previously expressed some nervousness around a jQuery UI dependency in particular. elfinder seemed to do a lot more than I'd initially thought we'd need and is based on jQuery UI. It may not really matter if it's only in the admin-facing GUI and not expected to be themed or loaded on every page, though.

If we want to change the integration, I hope that wouldn't be too hard. The methods that implement the basic operations should be pretty agnostic, though they'd obviously need to change a bit.

Martin

aclark aclark

On 9/12/11 2:48 PM, Espen Moe-Nilssen wrote:

> Maybe I misunderstand here. My usercase would be like this:
> Assume you have an "old" site ( that uses plone's old look and feel. )
> You then upgrade to Plone 4.1 and make a new Diazo theme, but want users to add content with a site that looks like "old plone".

This case is currently normally handled by separate vhost e.g. plone.org
vs. manage.plone.org. And the p.a.theming control panel makes it very
easy to setup hosts that you do not want to theme i.e. for your content
editors.

That said, you may break things if you have Diazo-themed on top of Plone
Sunburst, and then you switch to Plone Classic. That's because your
Diazo theme relies on a particular set of CSS classes and ids, and
changing the "old style" theme in Plone may break that assumption.

Alex

> *****************************
>
> I still havent had enought time to test ACE properly, but it looks great.
> Could something like this be an option:
> 1) When editing the theme, you go straight to the "file manager", but still have the possibility to choose which file to edit
> 2) You can click on a file to edit it.
>
> In other words, there is only one screen where  everything "happens" (both the file management and the choosing of which file to edit is at the same place. (PS: They are not part of the same screen... they are the same screen, a bit the oposite as suggested below: instead of the "button to add files", there is a menu to edit the files, or you can click on them)
>
> espen
>

>> I would expect that it will only work for Diazo themes.
>>
>> :jon
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Espen Moe-Nilssen<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I am trying to "join in here"
>>> Can anyone confirm if things the ACE control panel is not working when then
>>> another theme is selected (like plone classic theme)
>>> espen
>>>
>>> Den 12. sep. 2011 kl. 13.02 skrev Martin Aspeli:
>>>
>>> Hi,

Alex Clark ·
http://aclark.net

espen espen

Re: Fwd: Re: UI request - integrating p.a. theming editor and file manager

Probably badly explained:
What I mean is that if you go to the ACE theming control panel
( http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.app.theming/branches/optilude-ace/ )
after you have changed to another theme than sunburst, it will not show anything.

You might be right about classes (maybe a js scrip on the <select>.
I will try to find out.

Espen

>On 9/12/11 2:48 PM, Espen Moe-Nilssen wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I misunderstand here. My usercase would be like this:
>> Assume you have an "old" site ( that uses plone's old look and feel. )
>> You then upgrade to Plone 4.1 and make a new Diazo theme, but want users to add content with a site that looks like "old plone".
>

>This case is currently normally handled by separate vhost e.g. plone.org
>vs. manage.plone.org. And the p.a.theming control panel makes it very
>easy to setup hosts that you do not want to theme i.e. for your content
>editors.
>

>That said, you may break things if you have Diazo-themed on top of Plone
>Sunburst, and then you switch to Plone Classic. That's because your
>Diazo theme relies on a particular set of CSS classes and ids, and
>changing the "old style" theme in Plone may break that assumption.
>

>Alex
>

>> *****************************
>>
>> I still havent had enought time to test ACE properly, but it looks great.
>> Could something like this be an option:
>> 1) When editing the theme, you go straight to the "file manager", but still have the possibility to choose which file to edit
>> 2) You can click on a file to edit it.
>>
>> In other words, there is only one screen where  everything "happens" (both the file management and the choosing of which file to edit is at the same place. (PS: They are not part of the same screen... they are the same screen, a bit the oposite as suggested below: instead of the "button to add files", there is a menu to edit the files, or you can click on them)
>>
>> espen
>>

>>> I would expect that it will only work for Diazo themes.
>>>
>>> :jon

http://aclark.net

Espen Moe-Nilssen
Grieg Medialog AS

Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

On 13 September 2011 13:38, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention: I don't really like the file manager chosen. Is there any reason you choose that over other Martin?

http://elrte.org/elfinder seems like it could be a better choice.

I've been thinking about this a bit more: If we want to implement your design, then we don't really need a complex file manager: We just need a file tree + context menu + some backend support, all of which we have now. Is there really a need for a more capable file manager, or can we tweak this one?

Martin

Nathan Van Gheem-2 Nathan Van Gheem-2

Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

You're right. We can just use this and rip parts out of it and put
them into the new layout once we move to it. This simplifies things
also since you pretty much have it all implemented already.

So, for this iteration, are we okay with just having a "Manage Files"
link. Then, the file manager would have an "Edit" button and use an
overlay to display the ACE editor?

If there aren't any objections to that plan, I'll finish it up that way.

-Nathan

On 15 September 2011 04:21, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're right. We can just use this and rip parts out of it and put
them into the new layout once we move to it. This simplifies things
also since you pretty much have it all implemented already.

So, for this iteration, are we okay with just having a "Manage Files"
link. Then, the file manager would have an "Edit" button and use an
overlay to display the ACE editor?

I would prefer your tabs based mockup, but I don't know how much harder that is.

My only concern with an overlay is that we still need a way to work on multiple files at once before saving both, I think.

If there aren't any objections to that plan, I'll finish it up that way.

I have no objections to anything that gets us a step closer to a finished implementation. ;-)

Martin

Nathan Van Gheem-2 Nathan Van Gheem-2

Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

So, for this iteration, are we okay with just having a "Manage Files"
link. Then, the file manager would have an "Edit" button and use an
overlay to display the ACE editor?
I would prefer your tabs based mockup, but I don't know how much harder that is.
Hmmm, I'll see what I can come up with then. Maybe it won't be very difficult to put it together after all.

Is it okay if I just continue to work on your branch?

-Nathan

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Martin Aspeli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 September 2011 04:21, Nathan Van Gheem
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You're right. We can just use this and rip parts out of it and put
>> them into the new layout once we move to it. This simplifies things
>> also since you pretty much have it all implemented already.
>>
>> So, for this iteration, are we okay with just having a "Manage Files"
>> link. Then, the file manager would have an "Edit" button and use an
>> overlay to display the ACE editor?
>
> I would prefer your tabs based mockup, but I don't know how much harder that
> is.
> My only concern with an overlay is that we still need a way to work on
> multiple files at once before saving both, I think.
>

>> If there aren't any objections to that plan, I'll finish it up that way.
>
> I have no objections to anything that gets us a step closer to a finished
> implementation. ;-)
> Martin

Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

Nathan Van Gheem-2 Nathan Van Gheem-2

Re: UI request - integrating p.a.theming editor and file manager

I have an initial version of this ready to look at.

I just bolted onto the js with the existing file manager.

I'd appreciate if someone else had a look and made sure this looks decent.

It definitely needs some better styling yet, more functionality, etc, but I think it might be fine for a first rendition for the theme manager.