This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

12
wiedhas72 wiedhas72

This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

I'm running Plone 4.3 on Ubuntu.  I've got my site up running locally. However when I try and host it with Apache, I can't see the site - just the directory contents.  What is the folder that I should point my web server to in Plone?  Right now I have it set to /var/WWW/Plone.  My website is not named Plone however.  And there is no folder in the Plone directory named for my website.  This should be so easy but every post I can't figure it out. Any help much appreciated - I've spent hours on this and feel really stupid!!
eehmke eehmke

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Try this:

http://www.plone-entwicklerhandbuch.de/plone-entwicklerhandbuch/produktivserver/apache.html

this is in german, but the example should be self explaining. VirtualHost and
Rewriterule are the keywords.

Eggert

Am Montag, 30. Juni 2014, 11:01:04 schrieb wiedhas72:

> I'm running Plone 4.3 on Ubuntu.  I've got my site up running locally.
> However when I try and host it with Apache, I can't see the site - just the
> directory contents.  What is the folder that I should point my web server to
> in Plone?  Right now I have it set to /var/WWW/Plone.  My website is not
> named Plone however.  And there is no folder in the Plone directory named
> for my website.  This should be so easy but every post I can't figure it
> out. Any help much appreciated - I've spent hours on this and feel really
> stupid!!

wiedhas72 wiedhas72

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Thanks for your reply.  Your directions are very useful.  I have attached my syntax of the modrewrite rule I used in my httpd.conf file:

NameVirtualHost 10.0.1.4:8082
<VirtualHost 10.0.1.4:8082>
ServerName www.wiedhas.noip.me
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.wiedhas.noip.me:8082/example.com/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
</VirtualHost>

My ISP blocks port 80 so I used a redirect to port 8082.   I can't see an obvious error in the rewrite rule??  (I have replaced the website address in the rewrite rule to example.com for anonymity reasons).  Thanks again for your help.
jblaney jblaney

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

sorry for spamming another link to you, but this was incredibly helpful for port forwarding for me:

http://www.eng.ox.ac.uk/Plone/solaris/apache-setup

the virtual host monster section at the bottom got me exactly what I needed. Hope this helps!
eehmke eehmke

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Please describe your setup in more details.

It is very unusual that an ISP blocks port 80.

The address 10.0.1.4 looks like a private IP address that is not routed
through the internet.

How do you connect to the server where the Plone instance and Apache run?

In a local shell on that server, what does
sudo apachectl -S
tell ?

Am Montag, 30. Juni 2014, 14:00:33 schrieb wiedhas72:

> Thanks for your reply.  Your directions are very useful.  I have attached my
> syntax of the modrewrite rule I used in my httpd.conf file:
>
> NameVirtualHost 10.0.1.4:8082
> <VirtualHost 10.0.1.4:8082>
> ServerName www.wiedhas.noip.me
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.wiedhas.noip.me:8082/example.
> com/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> My ISP blocks port 80 so I used a redirect to port 8082.   I can't see an
> obvious error in the rewrite rule??  (I have replaced the website address in
> the rewrite rule to example.com for anonymity reasons).  Thanks again for
> your help.

wiedhas72 wiedhas72

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Jblaney: thanks for the link.  I have read and reread that example many times.  I just went into the ZMI and selected VHM from the dropdown list.  There was nothing to fill out formwise and hopefully it is in the root directory as it should be.  I initially installed Plone in the home directory, but moved it to /var/www/Plone later and reran buildout successfully.  Hopefully that has nothing to do with my problems.

Here's the output of sudo apachectl -S :

VirtualHost configuration:
10.0.1.4:*             is a NameVirtualHost
         default server Hal-9000.local (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/test.conf:4)
         port * namevhost Hal-9000.local (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/test.conf:4)
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:*                    localhost (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/test.conf:31)
Syntax OK

I am running apache on the same linux box as Plone for now so several of us can work on the site remotely.  It will eventually move to the servers that host our site...
eehmke eehmke

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

And what is the content of
/etc/apache2/sites-available/test.conf? In your first mail you mentioned
httpd.conf.

Am Montag, 30. Juni 2014, 14:25:22 schrieb wiedhas72:

> Jblaney: thanks for the link.  I have read and reread that example many
> times.  I just went into the ZMI and selected VHM from the dropdown list.
> There was nothing to fill out formwise and hopefully it is in the root
> directory as it should be.  I initially installed Plone in the home
> directory, but moved it to /var/www/Plone later and reran buildout
> successfully.  Hopefully that has nothing to do with my problems.
>
> Here's the output of sudo apachectl -S :
>
> VirtualHost configuration:
> 10.0.1.4:*             is a NameVirtualHost
>          default server Hal-9000.local
> (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/test.conf:4)
>          port * namevhost Hal-9000.local
> (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/test.conf:4)
> wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
> *:*                    localhost (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/test.conf:31)
> Syntax OK
>
> I am running apache on the same linux box as Plone for now so several of us
> can work on the site remotely.  It will eventually move to the servers that
> host our site...

wiedhas72 wiedhas72

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

test.net:

UseCanonicalName On

NameVirtualHost 10.0.1.4
<VirtualHost 10.0.1.4>
    ServerAlias test.net
    ServerSignature On

    Header set X-Frame-Options "SAMEORIGIN"
    Header set Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=15768000; includeSubDomains"
    Header set X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block"
    Header set X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff"
    Header set Content-Security-Policy-Report-Only "default-src 'self'; img-src *; style-src 'unsafe-inline'; script-src 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'"

    ProxyVia On

    # prevent your web server from being used as global HTTP proxy
    <LocationMatch "^[^/]">
      Deny from all
    </LocationMatch>

    <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
    </Proxy>

    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/example.com:8082/test.net/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [P,L]

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAlias   *
    ServerRoot    /var/www
    ServerSignature On
</VirtualHost>

Thanks for your help eehmke!
wiedhas72 wiedhas72

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

I can reach localhost:8080/test.net.   I think your initial thoughts on an error in mod_rewrite are correct.  I was able to change the port to 80 on the apache service and the port is open on my network.

I have a no-ip account which redirects the following hostname: wiedhas.noip.me to my IP address on port 80 on the linux box running plone and apache.  I have the following rewrite rule:

RewriteRule ^/(.*) <a href="http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%">http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/test.net/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]

When I type "wiedhas.noip.me:80/test.net" into a browser, I get "chrome could not find wiedhas.noip.me".  test.net is my Plone site.  I am running a zeo cluster, but I don't think that makes a difference.
espen espen

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Hi

If I misunderstand you right:

Zope site:
running on localhost: Plonesite «test»

Apache:
ServerName  wiedhas.noip.me
RewriteEngine On

Then you reach the site by

(no port or plone site name)

You should not need any VirtualHostMonster if you use apache.

Espen

RewriteRule ^/(.*) <a href="<a href="http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%">http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%"><a href="http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/test.net/VirtualHostRoot/$1">http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/test.net/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]

When I type "wiedhas.noip.me:80/test.net" into a browser, I get "chrome could not find wiedhas.noip.me".  test.net is my Plone site.  I am running a zeo cluster, but I don't think that makes a difference.

http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/This-should-be-an-easy-one-but-not-for-me-tp7571841p7571849.html
To start a new topic under Installation, Setup, Upgrades, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Plone, click here.
NAML

wiedhas72 wiedhas72

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

That is my exact setup.  Should I remove the VHM then?  I can't figure out why I can't reach the site. I don't have a vhost file - where is this located?  I can't believe how difficult this has been. Apache is the culprit.

The reason port 80 was unavailable was because the machine is off at the moment.
espen espen

1. juli 2014 kl. 23:35 skrev wiedhas72 [via Plone] <[hidden email]>:

That is my exact setup.  Should I remove the VHM then?  I can't figure out why I can't reach the site. I don't have

If you have apache, you don’t need VMH.

a vhost file - where is this located?  I can't believe how difficult this has been. Apache is the culprit.

If you configure apache wrong (or not at all), you will probably see something like:

Index of /

[ICO]NameLast modifiedSizeDescription

PS: you could consider installing webmin, then you will get an UI to setting up apache:

Espen

The reason port 80 was unavailable was because the machine is off at the moment.

http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/This-should-be-an-easy-one-but-not-for-me-tp7571841p7571859.html
To start a new topic under Installation, Setup, Upgrades, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Plone, click here.
NAML

eehmke eehmke

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

What is your distribution? If it is Debian or Ubuntu, your vhost files are in
/etc/apache2/sites-available. To activate a vhost file, a symlink to the file in
sites-available must be set in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled. Your rewrite rule
must be in an enabled vhost file.

Am Dienstag, 1. Juli 2014, 14:35:55 schrieb wiedhas72:

> That is my exact setup.  Should I remove the VHM then?  I can't figure out
> why I can't reach the site. I don't have a vhost file - where is this
> located?  I can't believe how difficult this has been. Apache is the
> culprit.
>
> The reason port 80 was unavailable was because the machine is off at the
> moment.

Mikko Ohtamaa Mikko Ohtamaa

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

To get experience how to setup Apache

- First setup a normal static site with bunch of files HTML files

- Then configure DNS, domain names, etc. for this site

- Then move forward to dynamically set up Plone site

This way the difficulty raises on each step. If you have no experience jumping directly settings up Apache + Plone is like jumping 5 m into ocean and hope to you somehow figure out how to learn to swim while being in the free fall.

Thanks,
Mikko

On 2 July 2014 00:35, wiedhas72 <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is my exact setup.  Should I remove the VHM then?  I can't figure out
why I can't reach the site. I don't have a vhost file - where is this
located?  I can't believe how difficult this has been. Apache is the
culprit.

The reason port 80 was unavailable was because the machine is off at the
moment.

Mikko Ohtamaa
http://opensourcehacker.com
http://twitter.com/moo9000

ctxlken ctxlken

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Just above your ServerAlias line, add:
ServerName. test.net

I think that's what is missing.  You can also use the apachectl command to test which named virtual hosts it is aware of (run the command with no optional parameters to see options.)

Ken

On Jul 3, 2014, at 3:44 AM, Mikko Ohtamaa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

ctxlken ctxlken

wiedhas72 wiedhas72

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Happy 4th (for the Americans here)!  The last post was the correct answer: I had a mismatch between the ServerName and what was in the mod_rewrite syntax.  I thought mistakenly that I had to name the server wiedhas.noip.me (which points to my IP address) and not the actual zope server which is on my machine.  Thanks again for all of the suggestions and help.

cojocarutudor cojocarutudor

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Very interesting and useful tips.I read step by step this informations and help me very much.Thank you very much for this informations!
comosaber comosaber

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

I саn reach localhost:8080/test.net.   I think уоur initial thoughts оn аn error in mod_rewrite аrе correct.  I wаѕ аblе tо сhаngе thе port tо 80 оn thе apache service аnd thе port iѕ open оn mу network. Thаt iѕ mу еxасt setup.  Shоuld I remove thе VHM then?  I саn't figure оut whу I саn't reach thе site. I dоn't hаvе a vhost file - whеrе iѕ thiѕ located? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtExS1Jv8RQ
Lewwy Lewwy

Re: This should be an easy one (but not for me)!

Thanks jblaney, I was having this exact problem. Just needed to set up my
ports correctly and it all works fine now.

Cheers,
Lewis.

12