Supermodel, Dexterity Content types, named relations between content types

mateolan mateolan

Supermodel, Dexterity Content types, named relations between content types

Returning to Plone after a bit of hiatus...I have been playing with
the supermodel schema, and I think it is really cool. I have two
questions about the way Plone is moving forward with dexterity content
types, and how they work with each other.
First, I am trying to use the titles of instances of one Dexterity
content type (dctA) to fill the choice parameters for a field in
another content type (dctB).
I see that I can iterate over the instances of  dctA, register these
titles as a vocabulary, and then use the <vocabulary > tag within
supermodel..but the latter part seems to require filesystem level
access.  I would rather not give this access to my
students--preferring to have them focus on the generation of portable
xml models.  Am I missing another more straightforward way that allows
me to call dctA titles as choices for the field directly?  I do see
from supermodel's docs that  "...we can import a choice field with a
source, provided that source can be specified via an importable dotted
name..." But I don't fully understand where my new TTP-created
dexterity content type reside in the dotted-name hierarchy. Am I
missing something simple?

Second, I would like to model via supermodel, the types of
relationships in which specific dexterity content types are capable of
engaging. It seems as though I need plone.app.relationfield for this,
but I wasn't able to find a working example of how this can (now, or
in the future) be modeled within supermodel.

If these features aren't currently possible,are they path for core
Plone/Dexterity/Supermodel development ?

Thanks,
mateolan

mateolan mateolan

Re: Supermodel, Dexterity Content types, named relations between content types

Is there a better or more appropriate list for me to post these questions?

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM, matthew lange <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Returning to Plone after a bit of hiatus...I have been playing with
> the supermodel schema, and I think it is really cool. I have two
> questions about the way Plone is moving forward with dexterity content
> types, and how they work with each other.
> First, I am trying to use the titles of instances of one Dexterity
> content type (dctA) to fill the choice parameters for a field in
> another content type (dctB).
> I see that I can iterate over the instances of  dctA, register these
> titles as a vocabulary, and then use the <vocabulary > tag within
> supermodel..but the latter part seems to require filesystem level
> access.  I would rather not give this access to my
> students--preferring to have them focus on the generation of portable
> xml models.  Am I missing another more straightforward way that allows
> me to call dctA titles as choices for the field directly?  I do see
> from supermodel's docs that  "...we can import a choice field with a
> source, provided that source can be specified via an importable dotted
> name..." But I don't fully understand where my new TTP-created
> dexterity content type reside in the dotted-name hierarchy. Am I
> missing something simple?
>
> Second, I would like to model via supermodel, the types of
> relationships in which specific dexterity content types are capable of
> engaging. It seems as though I need plone.app.relationfield for this,
> but I wasn't able to find a working example of how this can (now, or
> in the future) be modeled within supermodel.
>
> If these features aren't currently possible,are they path for core
> Plone/Dexterity/Supermodel development ?
>
> Thanks.

Steve McMahon Steve McMahon

Re: [Plone-Users] Supermodel, Dexterity Content types, named relations between content types

Hi Matthew,

This list is basically for core development discussion and issues. Plone-users or product-developers might be a better choice. Stackoverflow may be the place most likely to get answers.

Also, from long mailing list experience, I can tell you that the more questions you ask in a single email, the less likely you are to get any answer.

Steve

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM, matthew lange <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a better or more appropriate list for me to post these questions?

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM, matthew lange <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Returning to Plone after a bit of hiatus...I have been playing with
> the supermodel schema, and I think it is really cool. I have two
> questions about the way Plone is moving forward with dexterity content
> types, and how they work with each other.
> First, I am trying to use the titles of instances of one Dexterity
> content type (dctA) to fill the choice parameters for a field in
> another content type (dctB).
> I see that I can iterate over the instances of  dctA, register these
> titles as a vocabulary, and then use the <vocabulary > tag within
> supermodel..but the latter part seems to require filesystem level
> access.  I would rather not give this access to my
> students--preferring to have them focus on the generation of portable
> xml models.  Am I missing another more straightforward way that allows
> me to call dctA titles as choices for the field directly?  I do see
> from supermodel's docs that  "...we can import a choice field with a
> source, provided that source can be specified via an importable dotted
> name..." But I don't fully understand where my new TTP-created
> dexterity content type reside in the dotted-name hierarchy. Am I
> missing something simple?
>
> Second, I would like to model via supermodel, the types of
> relationships in which specific dexterity content types are capable of
> engaging. It seems as though I need plone.app.relationfield for this,
> but I wasn't able to find a working example of how this can (now, or
> in the future) be modeled within supermodel.
>
> If these features aren't currently possible,are they path for core
> Plone/Dexterity/Supermodel development ?
>
> Thanks.

mateolan mateolan

Re: [Plone-Users] Supermodel, Dexterity Content types, named relations between content types

Thanks Steve, I reposted on users--the only reason I posted here
initially is because my questions relate to Plone internals (and their
design patterns),
whereas the questions on the users list seem to be more "surface usage"...
Honestly I had forgotten about the product-developers list--I will repost there.
Cheers,
matthew

mateolan mateolan

Re: Supermodel, Dexterity Content types, named relations between content types

 I am trying to use the titles of instances of one Dexterity content type (dctA) to fill the choice parameters for a field in
another content type (dctB). I see that I can iterate over the instances of  dctA, register these titles as a vocabulary, and then use the <vocabulary > tag within supermodel..but the latter part seems to require filesystem level
access.  I would rather not give this access to my students--preferring to have them focus on the generation of portable xml models.

I am hoping for a more straightforward way to model the call to dctA titles as choices for the field directly.  I do see from supermodel's docs that  "...we can import a choice field with a source, provided that source can be specified via an importable dotted name..." But I don't fully understand where my new TTP-created dexterity content type reside in the dotted-name hierarchy. Am I missing something simple?

If this feature isn't currently possible,is there a (desire for) development trajectory for core Plone/Dexterity/Supermodel development ? Seems like it would serve multiple use cases.

Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

On 3 June 2013 19:17, matthew lange <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I am trying to use the titles of instances of one Dexterity content type
> (dctA) to fill the choice parameters for a field in
> another content type (dctB). I see that I can iterate over the instances of
> dctA, register these titles as a vocabulary, and then use the <vocabulary >
> tag within supermodel..but the latter part seems to require filesystem level
> access.  I would rather not give this access to my students--preferring to
> have them focus on the generation of portable xml models.
>
> I am hoping for a more straightforward way to model the call to dctA titles
> as choices for the field directly.  I do see from supermodel's docs that
> "...we can import a choice field with a source, provided that source can be
> specified via an importable dotted name..." But I don't fully understand
> where my new TTP-created dexterity content type reside in the dotted-name
> hierarchy. Am I missing something simple?
>
> If this feature isn't currently possible,is there a (desire for) development
> trajectory for core Plone/Dexterity/Supermodel development ? Seems like it
> would serve multiple use cases.

It's not something that's supported right now, but could feasibly be
built in an add-on which would be generally reusable. If you want to
attempt that, it would be great!

Martin