Squid Help (w/CacheFu)

Edward Muller Edward Muller

Squid Help (w/CacheFu)

We're trying to figure out Squid/CachFu

We have a test squid server (version 2.6) up and are using CacheFu
1.0.2 to generate the configs.

To get pages to load through squid we had to add:

always_direct allow accelerated_domains
always_direct allow accelerated_ports
always_direct allow accelerated_protocols

to squid.conf

But that also appears to make EVERY request go through to the server
directly. Each response has an X-Cache: MISS header in it as well.

What are we missing?

--
Edward Muller
Interlix, LLC

Zope, Plone & Zimbra Hosting

phone: +1.417.862.0573
fax: +1.770.818.5437

Reinout van Rees (gmail) Reinout van Rees (gmail)

Re: Squid Help (w/CacheFu)

On Mar 28, 2:35 am, Edward Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're trying to figure out Squid/CachFu
>
> We have a test squid server (version 2.6) up and are using CacheFu
> 1.0.2 to generate the configs.
>
> To get pages to load through squid we had to add:
>
> always_direct allow accelerated_domains
> always_direct allow accelerated_ports
> always_direct allow accelerated_protocols
>
> to squid.conf

If you have to change this kind of stuff, that's not a good sign. I'd
look at the templates of cachefu's squid config generator (/templates
subdir if I'm right). There might be bug in there regarding the squid
version. I know I changed something once regarding the parsing of the
version. '2.6' and 2.6 are two different things.

I hope it gives you a bit of a pointer.

Reinout

justizin-2 justizin-2

Re: Squid Help (w/CacheFu)

On 3/28/07, Reinout van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2:35 am, Edward Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We're trying to figure out Squid/CachFu
> >
> > We have a test squid server (version 2.6) up and are using CacheFu
> > 1.0.2 to generate the configs.

What version of 2.6?  It's important to know exactly.  If after this
thread you think there is really a problem please file an issue at:

  http://plone.org/products/cachefu/issues/

> > To get pages to load through squid we had to add:
> >
> > always_direct allow accelerated_domains
> > always_direct allow accelerated_ports
> > always_direct allow accelerated_protocols
> >
> > to squid.conf
>
> If you have to change this kind of stuff, that's not a good sign. I'd
> look at the templates of cachefu's squid config generator (/templates
> subdir if I'm right). There might be bug in there regarding the squid
> version. I know I changed something once regarding the parsing of the
> version. '2.6' and 2.6 are two different things.

Yeap, the default squid.conf in latest CacheFu is for Squid 2.5.  It's
not possible afaik to generate a file which is compatible with both,
as Squid 2.6 has adopted new config declarations from Squid3 which are
proper implementations of things done in the past with hacks.

--
Justin Alan Ryan
Director, Interaction Architecture

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You
lead by going to that place and making a case." -Ken Kesey

On Mar 28, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Justizin wrote:

> On 3/28/07, Reinout van Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 2:35 am, Edward Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We're trying to figure out Squid/CachFu
>>>
>>> We have a test squid server (version 2.6) up and are using CacheFu
>>> 1.0.2 to generate the configs.
>
> What version of 2.6?  It's important to know exactly.  If after this
> thread you think there is really a problem please file an issue at:

2.6.1-3ubuntu1

>   http://plone.org/products/cachefu/issues/
>
>>> To get pages to load through squid we had to add:
>>>
>>> always_direct allow accelerated_domains
>>> always_direct allow accelerated_ports
>>> always_direct allow accelerated_protocols
>>>
>>> to squid.conf
>>
>> If you have to change this kind of stuff, that's not a good sign. I'd
>> look at the templates of cachefu's squid config generator (/templates
>> subdir if I'm right). There might be bug in there regarding the squid
>> version. I know I changed something once regarding the parsing of the
>> version. '2.6' and 2.6 are two different things.
>>

> Yeap, the default squid.conf in latest CacheFu is for Squid 2.5.  It's
> not possible afaik to generate a file which is compatible with both,
> as Squid 2.6 has adopted new config declarations from Squid3 which are
> proper implementations of things done in the past with hacks.

I don't care about squid 2.5 really. I changed the config option in
the squid.cfg file to 2.6. With the default config I get the
following error:

Unable to forward this request at this time.

> --
> Justin Alan Ryan
> Director, Interaction Architecture
> Auxilium Group, inc.: Gnudyne(tm), Qutang Networks(tm)
> http://www.gnudyne.com/ | +1-415-738-7513
>
> "You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You
> lead by going to that place and making a case." -Ken Kesey

> ---
> share your
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?
> page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV

Edward Muller
Interlix, LLC
Owner

Zope, Plone & Zimbra Hosting

phone: +1.417.862.0573
fax: +1.770.818.5437

justizin-2 justizin-2

Re: Squid Help (w/CacheFu)

On 3/28/07, Edward Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Justizin wrote:

> > What version of 2.6?  It's important to know exactly.  If after this
> > thread you think there is really a problem please file an issue at:
>
> 2.6.1-3ubuntu1
>

> >   http://plone.org/products/cachefu/issues/

> >> If you have to change this kind of stuff, that's not a good sign. I'd
> >> look at the templates of cachefu's squid config generator (/templates
> >> subdir if I'm right). There might be bug in there regarding the squid
> >> version. I know I changed something once regarding the parsing of the
> >> version. '2.6' and 2.6 are two different things.
> >>

> > Yeap, the default squid.conf in latest CacheFu is for Squid 2.5.  It's
> > not possible afaik to generate a file which is compatible with both,
> > as Squid 2.6 has adopted new config declarations from Squid3 which are
> > proper implementations of things done in the past with hacks.
>
> I don't care about squid 2.5 really. I changed the config option in
> the squid.cfg file to 2.6. With the default config I get the
> following error:
>
> Unable to forward this request at this time.

per http://plone.org/products/cachefu/issues/79 , this is fixed in svn
trunk, the makeconfig script was comparing a string to a float for
version, and that doesn't work.

i saw a note somewhere in another thread wrt concern that you can't
represent specific squid versions, and i hear that, if we need to
break down to supporting things separately like 2.5STABLE9 vs.
2.5STABLE16, we need a table of support or something, but by and large
this seems to work.  2.6 and greater use 3.0-style config
declarations, with a small deviation for one or two of them which will
need tweaking for 3.x support.

apologies for the trouble, i could swear i tested this successfully in the past.

--
Justin Alan Ryan
Independent Interactivity Architect