Quantcast

Sorting of menus in plone.app.contentmenu

ajung ajung

Sorting of menus in plone.app.contentmenu

Right now it appears that the menu items of the drop down don't have any particular order. Especially the "Add" drop down is a mess when you have a longer lists of content-types - means the editor does not find the things directly based on alphabetic ordering.

I suggest that the menu items should be sorted based on the translated 'title' of the menu items.

What do you think?

Andreas
Gil Forcada Codinachs Gil Forcada Codinachs

Re: Sorting of menus in plone.app.contentmenu

El dj 19 de 04 de 2012 a les 23:47 -0700, en/na ajung va escriure:
> Right now it appears that the menu items of the drop down don't have any
> particular order. Especially the "Add" drop down is a mess when you have a
> longer lists of content-types - means the editor does not find the things
> directly based on alphabetic ordering.
>
> I suggest that the menu items should be sorted based on the translated
> 'title' of the menu items.
>
> What do you think?

Big +1!

It always annoyed me.

Cheers,

> Andreas

Gil Forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net

David Glick (GW) David Glick (GW)

On 4/20/12 1:32 PM, Gil Forcada wrote:

> El dj 19 de 04 de 2012 a les 23:47 -0700, en/na ajung va escriure:
>> Right now it appears that the menu items of the drop down don't have any
>> particular order. Especially the "Add" drop down is a mess when you have a
>> longer lists of content-types - means the editor does not find the things
>> directly based on alphabetic ordering.
>>
>> I suggest that the menu items should be sorted based on the translated
>> 'title' of the menu items.
>>
>> What do you think?
> Big +1!
>
> It always annoyed me.

I think it makes sense for the add menu (frankly I'm surprised that's
not working because I think it's supposed to), but I don't think it
necessarily does for other menus. Each menu should get to decide the
order of its items.

David

----------
David Glick
 Web Developer
 [hidden email]
 206.286.1235x32

GiveBIG is coming! Mark your calendar for May 2 and get ready to give big to Groundwire
on this community-wide day of giving.

http://www.seattlefoundation.org/npos/Pages/Groundwire.aspx

Hanno Schlichting-4 Hanno Schlichting-4

ajung <lists@...> writes:
> Right now it appears that the menu items of the drop down don't have any
> particular order. Especially the "Add" drop down is a mess when you have a
> longer lists of content-types - means the editor does not find the things
> directly based on alphabetic ordering.
>
> I suggest that the menu items should be sorted based on the translated
> 'title' of the menu items.
>
> What do you think?

The add menu is already sorted by the translated title, see
https://github.com/plone/plone.app.contentmenu/
blob/master/plone/app/contentmenu/menu.py#L484

which calls

https://github.com/plone/plone.app.content/
blob/master/plone/app/content/browser/folderfactories.py#L112.

That's been the case for a number of years IIRC.

Hanno

P.S. Sorry for the crappy formatting, gmane web view insist on 80 chars max per
line :(

ajung ajung

Re: Sorting of menus in plone.app.contentmenu

hm....wild...look at the screenshots. Both come from the same Plone site.
There are two language trees /en and /de. The site language is set to German.
The add-on menu for /de is sorted while the one for /en is sorted by the original english portal_type (but displayed in English).

Andreas

screenshot_2012-04-21_um_14.42.15.png
screenshot_2012-04-21_um_14.42.45.png

Hanno Schlichting-4 wrote
ajung <lists@...> writes:
> Right now it appears that the menu items of the drop down don't have any
> particular order. Especially the "Add" drop down is a mess when you have a
> longer lists of content-types - means the editor does not find the things
> directly based on alphabetic ordering.
>
> I suggest that the menu items should be sorted based on the translated
> 'title' of the menu items.
>
> What do you think?

The add menu is already sorted by the translated title, see
https://github.com/plone/plone.app.contentmenu/
blob/master/plone/app/contentmenu/menu.py#L484

which calls

https://github.com/plone/plone.app.content/
blob/master/plone/app/content/browser/folderfactories.py#L112.

That's been the case for a number of years IIRC.

Hanno

P.S. Sorry for the crappy formatting, gmane web view insist on 80 chars max per
line :(

mikerhodes mikerhodes

Re: Sorting of menus in plone.app.contentmenu

A small addition: at least one one of the Plone 4.0.x sites we run with
several languages in place (msc.org), the Add menu is ordered by the
translated title (EN is shown for untranslated types, in the correct
place). So it worked back then at least.

We're updating the Plone version soon so I'll keep an eye out to see if
this breaks.

Mike.

On Sat Apr 21 13:45:47 2012, ajung wrote:

> hm....wild...look at the screenshots. Both come from the same Plone site.
> There are two language trees /en and /de. The site language is set to
> German.
> The add-on menu for /de is sorted while the one for /en is sorted by the
> original english portal_type (but displayed in English).
>
> Andreas
>

> http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/file/n7487061/screenshot_2012-04-21_um_14.42.15.png
> screenshot_2012-04-21_um_14.42.15.png
> http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/file/n7487061/screenshot_2012-04-21_um_14.42.45.png
> screenshot_2012-04-21_um_14.42.45.png
>

> Hanno Schlichting-4 wrote
>>
>> ajung&lt;lists@...&gt; writes:
>>> Right now it appears that the menu items of the drop down don't have any
>>> particular order. Especially the "Add" drop down is a mess when you have
>>> longer lists of content-types - means the editor does not find the things
>>> directly based on alphabetic ordering.
>>>
>>> I suggest that the menu items should be sorted based on the translated
>>> 'title' of the menu items.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> The add menu is already sorted by the translated title, see
>> https://github.com/plone/plone.app.contentmenu/
>> blob/master/plone/app/contentmenu/menu.py#L484
>>
>> which calls
>>
>> https://github.com/plone/plone.app.content/
>> blob/master/plone/app/content/browser/folderfactories.py#L112.
>>
>> That's been the case for a number of years IIRC.
>>
>> Hanno
>>
>> P.S. Sorry for the crappy formatting, gmane web view insist on 80 chars
>> max per
>> line :(

0117 909 0901 (ext. 23)
www.netsight.co.uk