Some good news on Plone 4 upgrades

Hanno Schlichting-4 Hanno Schlichting-4

Some good news on Plone 4 upgrades

Hi there,

I'm currently working on an upgrade of a rather large customer site to
Plone 4. "Large" meaning 200.000 objects in the catalog, 15gb of
Data.fs + 25gb of blobs and a nice mix of 150 additional Python
packages featuring lots of common add-ons.

The good news:

Using the latest releases of all those packages it took me one day to
get the site started under Plone 4. It took me two more days to fix
some issues in the core Plone upgrades to deal with some more corner
cases. Running the normal upgrade procedure worked on this site.
There's some small customizations and tweaks to do, but overall it
"just worked" (tm).

I think this is a great testimony for the stability and readiness of
Plone 4. At Jarn we are running a couple of production sites with
Plone 4 already and haven't come across any bigger issues.

I also took the time to optimize the core upgrade logic in a number of
places. Initially the upgrade took about 2 hours. After checking in
the latest optimizations just now, the upgrade takes a full 11 minutes
instead. Six minutes of that time are spent on the unified folder
upgrade, as the site contains 60.000 folderish objects. You will get
those improvements with the next beta 5 release.

Onwards to a great Plone 4!

A very happy,
Hanno

Eric Steele (esteele) Eric Steele (esteele)

Re: Some good news on Plone 4 upgrades

On Jul 3, 2010, at 8:19 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently working on an upgrade of a rather large customer site to
> Plone 4. "Large" meaning 200.000 objects in the catalog, 15gb of
> Data.fs + 25gb of blobs and a nice mix of 150 additional Python
> packages featuring lots of common add-ons.
>
> The good news:
>
> Using the latest releases of all those packages it took me one day to
> get the site started under Plone 4. It took me two more days to fix
> some issues in the core Plone upgrades to deal with some more corner
> cases. Running the normal upgrade procedure worked on this site.
> There's some small customizations and tweaks to do, but overall it
> "just worked" (tm).
>
> I think this is a great testimony for the stability and readiness of
> Plone 4. At Jarn we are running a couple of production sites with
> Plone 4 already and haven't come across any bigger issues.
>
> I also took the time to optimize the core upgrade logic in a number of
> places. Initially the upgrade took about 2 hours. After checking in
> the latest optimizations just now, the upgrade takes a full 11 minutes
> instead. Six minutes of that time are spent on the unified folder
> upgrade, as the site contains 60.000 folderish objects. You will get
> those improvements with the next beta 5 release.
>
> Onwards to a great Plone 4!
>
> A very happy,
> Hanno

Hanno,
Fantastic work. Thank you!

A very happy release manager.

Alexander Limi Alexander Limi

Re: Some good news on Plone 4 upgrades

Stupendously exciting!

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Hanno Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

aclark aclark

Re: Some good news on Plone 4 upgrades

On 7/3/10 8:19 PM, in article
[hidden email], "Hanno
Schlichting" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently working on an upgrade of a rather large customer site to
> Plone 4. "Large" meaning 200.000 objects in the catalog, 15gb of
> Data.fs + 25gb of blobs and a nice mix of 150 additional Python
> packages featuring lots of common add-ons.
>
> The good news:
>
> Using the latest releases of all those packages it took me one day to
> get the site started under Plone 4. It took me two more days to fix
> some issues in the core Plone upgrades to deal with some more corner
> cases. Running the normal upgrade procedure worked on this site.
> There's some small customizations and tweaks to do, but overall it
> "just worked" (tm).
>
> I think this is a great testimony for the stability and readiness of
> Plone 4. At Jarn we are running a couple of production sites with
> Plone 4 already and haven't come across any bigger issues.
>
> I also took the time to optimize the core upgrade logic in a number of
> places. Initially the upgrade took about 2 hours. After checking in
> the latest optimizations just now, the upgrade takes a full 11 minutes
> instead. Six minutes of that time are spent on the unified folder
> upgrade, as the site contains 60.000 folderish objects. You will get
> those improvements with the next beta 5 release.
>
> Onwards to a great Plone 4!

Great news! A much smaller "big site" is also ready to go:
http://plone4.plone.org (more or less).

And the upgrade was much, much less painful this time:
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/Products.PloneOrg/trunk/UPGRADE.txt

Vs.

http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/Products.PloneOrg/branches/aclark-pre-mainten
ance-cleanup/docs/UPGRADE.txt