Site within a site

Alan Milligan Alan Milligan

Site within a site

I still have some requirements to nest Plone sites.  Unfortunately,
since the event of portal_atct, this is no longer possible.

The fun starts when for some reason, an Archetypes ContentTypes tool
doesn't seem to be getting created in the nested site.  The base tool is
then probably acquired in getToolByName calls, and all sorts of stuff
begins to break.

Various parts of migrations break, both Plone and ATContentTypes (why do
we create a crufty plone then migrate it as opposed to simply creating
the correct thing in the first place?).  After trapping all of these and
continuing, a Plone site is created, but with no archetypes tool/atct tool.

When one manually creates the atct tool, it expects one to perform a
migration.  You can successfully create an archetypes tool, but
unfortunately, there's no reference_catalog nor uid_catalog creation :(

Does anyone have some hints as to how best to patch this??

Alan

Martin Aspeli-2 Martin Aspeli-2

Re: Site within a site

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:01:14 -0000, Alan Milligan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still have some requirements to nest Plone sites.  Unfortunately,
> since the event of portal_atct, this is no longer possible.

This is not and has never been supported. There are efforts like SubPlone
that may make this possible, but I haven't used them. There are also
probably other ways of achieving what you want.

Why are you doing this?

> Various parts of migrations break, both Plone and ATContentTypes (why do
> we create a crufty plone then migrate it as opposed to simply creating
> the correct thing in the first place?).

It requires us to keep two different pieces of code doing the same thing:
the migration for existing sites and the creation for a new site must land
the site in exactly the same state, which is very hard. That said, we now
have a better way as of Plone 2.5 (although it hasn't been incorporated so
deeply it will stop us from writing migrations) called GenericSetup.

Martin

--
(muted)

Raphael Ritz Raphael Ritz

Re: Site within a site

Alan Milligan wrote:

Hi Alan,

 > I still have some requirements to nest Plone sites.  Unfortunately,
 > since the event of portal_atct, this is no longer possible.

as I don't know what your use case is, I just want to point
you to

     http://svn.plone.org/view/collective/PloneMultisite

in case you haven't seen that yet. It's not about
nesting sites but it might nevertheless provide an
alternative.

Cheers,

        Raphael