[SPRINT URGENT] Toolbar design

Ramon Navarro Bosch Ramon Navarro Bosch

[SPRINT URGENT] Toolbar design

We've been working on finishing the toolbar design and here is a proposal. We have doubts about some questions (floating opening menu). The idea is that by default is opened with icons.

Opinions ??? We want to move forward on this subject!

There is also a job on jk that shows the result of the theme:

Ramon

--
Ramon a.k.a bloodbare

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: [SPRINT URGENT] Toolbar design

On 12 Feb 2014, at 7:13 pm, Ramon Navarro Bosch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've been working on finishing the toolbar design and here is a proposal. We have doubts about some questions (floating opening menu). The idea is that by default is opened with icons.
>
> Opinions ??? We want to move forward on this subject!
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/667918/Plone/ploneBar-collapsed.png
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/667918/Plone/ploneBar-compressed.png
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/667918/Plone/ploneBar-expanded.png
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/667918/Plone/ploneBar-mobile.png

Looking really nice. Here are my opinions for what it's worth

I think the mobile design is actually better for desktops as well.
1. Generally it's a bad idea to have popout side menus as its kind of fiddly to click, move across and then go up or down. The concertina style menu on mobile is better I think. As long as the page scrolls up of course.
2. The mobile menu pushes out the content rather than overlays it. I think thats better as then you don't have to collapse the menu to see stuff on the left

I'm not sure why we need the "..."? seems a waste to have an extra click to get at two more options?

Also we need to include the creator name, history and last modified date on there somewhere. Is missing from the current toolbar too.
I don't think "site setup" should be inside the personal menu any longer. For the toolbar I think it seems important enough to be in the main list of items.

The green icon for published. Since workflow is configurable, there will now be a way to configure the icon for a state?

"grant access": I think I like it better, however is it worth the pain it will cause in change of documentation and training etc? Also it can be used to revoke access so "grant" perhaps isn't the right word.

> There is also a job on jk that shows the result of the theme:
>
> http://jenkins.plone.org/view/All/job/plone-5.0-themetest/report/
>
> Ramon
>
> --
> Ramon a.k.a bloodbare
André Nogueira André Nogueira

Re: [SPRINT URGENT] Toolbar design

Very nice!

Some more points:

1. I dont like the user name hidden in this menu. I think is important
keep some user identification always visible. If not, user may confuse
if they are logged in or not.

2. Add content is the most important action for the final user. Could
be a nice enhancement to move it to top.

3. Use LEFT and RIGHT portlets is bad. Avoid that. Try something like
(column 1 and 2) or just manage portlets, like we have now. Its very
common move portlets position. So left and right will confuse.

[]s

Andre Nogueira
[hidden email]
Simples Consultoria
www.simplesconsultoria.com.br
Tel. (11) 3898-2121

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

On 12 Feb 2014, at 11:01 pm, André Nogueira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice!
>
> Some more points:
>
> 1. I dont like the user name hidden in this menu. I think is important
> keep some user identification always visible. If not, user may confuse
> if they are logged in or not.
>
> 2. Add content is the most important action for the final user. Could
> be a nice enhancement to move it to top.
>
> 3. Use LEFT and RIGHT portlets is bad. Avoid that. Try something like
> (column 1 and 2) or just manage portlets, like we have now. Its very
> common move portlets position. So left and right will confuse.

There isn't a easy solution to that. Even the old way had the portlet columns places left and right where they might not be used in the actual theme.
Best I can think of is an easy to way for the themer to rename them to what makes sense? However that configuration would have to come from the theme manifest for this to be useful.

Ed Manlove-2 Ed Manlove-2

On 02/12/2014 03:13 AM, Ramon Navarro Bosch wrote:
We've been working on finishing the toolbar design and here is a proposal. We have doubts about some questions (floating opening menu). The idea is that by default is opened with icons.

Opinions ??? We want to move forward on this subject!

There is also a job on jk that shows the result of the theme:

Ramon

--
Ramon a.k.a bloodbare

Don't forget about the Right-To-Left Plone users. I'm not saying that you are but whenever I see a Plone design I always go back and remembering to check RTL. Asking how does it look and more so is it functioning properly under RTL.

Ed

Paul Roeland-2 Paul Roeland-2

On 13-02-14 00:58, Ed Manlove wrote:

> Don't forget about the Right-To-Left Plone users. I'm not saying that
> you are but whenever I see a Plone design I always go back and
> remembering to check RTL. Asking how does it look and more so is it
> functioning properly under RTL.

yes, that's on the radar. Basically, we're looking at how the giants do
that (google, facebook) and emulate, not re-invent UI wheels.