RFC re inline editing

David Glick (Plone) David Glick (Plone)

RFC re inline editing

Hello all,
The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?
best,

Ramon Navarro Bosch Ramon Navarro Bosch

Re: RFC re inline editing

On 30 October 2012 19:21, David Glick (Plone) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,
The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?
best,
David

We are not using it on any site and it's ok for us to remove it ( until there is a nice implementation )

Ramon

Ramon a.k.a bloodbare

Jens W. klein-2 Jens W. klein-2

Re: RFC re inline editing

On 2012-10-30 19:21, David Glick (Plone) wrote:
> Hello all,
> The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
> editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
> implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
> Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
> work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
> delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
> there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
> upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?

No problem for us, we always disabled the feature. It confused users
more than it helped them.

Jens
--
Klein & Partner KG, member of BlueDynamics Alliance

Roel Bruggink Roel Bruggink

Re: RFC re inline editing

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Jens W. Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-10-30 19:21, David Glick (Plone) wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
>> editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
>> implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
>> Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
>> work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
>> delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
>> there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
>> upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?
>
> No problem for us, we always disabled the feature. It confused users
> more than it helped them.

Same here.

--
Roel Bruggink
http://www.fourdigits.nl/mensen/roel-bruggink

Four Digits BV
http://www.fourdigits.nl tel: +31(0)26 4422700

nutjob nutjob

Re: RFC re inline editing

> No problem for us, we always disabled the feature. It confused users
> more than it helped them.

Precisely. My scientific users especially hated it.

A lot of them would want to copy/paste text from their sites, and would be frustrated by entering "edit mode" as soon as they started highlighting the text.

--k

--
Sean "nutjob" Kelly
Plone AI

johannes raggam johannes raggam

Re: RFC re inline editing

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: RFC re inline editing

On 31/10/2012, at 5:21 AM, "David Glick (Plone)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
> editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
> implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
> Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
> work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
> delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
> there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
> upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?

We never enable it.

It's a real pity there isn't a more scientific way of finding out how many people use this feature as it's possible the people who do aren't the kind of people on this list.

> best,
> David

Karl Johan Kleist Karl Johan Kleist

Re: RFC re inline editing

Just get rid of it. Never heard of anybody using this feature.
JonStahl JonStahl

Re: RFC re inline editing

+1 for removal.  Would be perfectly happy to have it come back if
someone wants to champion a sane solution, but I think SteveM is right
that CMSUI/deco will be a superior solution to the "make editing easy"
problem.

:jon

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Karl Johan Kleist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just get rid of it. Never heard of anybody using this feature.

c.ledermann c.ledermann

Re: RFC re inline editing

+1 for removal

We used it in only 1 of 40 sites and that one had a very special use case.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Jon Stahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 for removal.  Would be perfectly happy to have it come back if
> someone wants to champion a sane solution, but I think SteveM is right
> that CMSUI/deco will be a superior solution to the "make editing easy"
> problem.

I agree, once plone toolbar and deco are in the core we may
think about new approaches to this, but drop it for now.

It would be a bonus if it could be factored out into an add on
but not a deal breaker if it cannot be done or nobody wants
to spend time on this

--
Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Nairobi - Kenya
Mobile : +254 702978914

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>

redcor redcor

Re: RFC re inline editing

On 10/30/2012 07:21 PM, David Glick (Plone) wrote:

> Hello all,
> The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
> editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
> implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
> Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
> work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
> delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
> there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
> upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?
> best,
> David

I positively hated that feature and it was always one of the first we switched
of in a new site.
So to my mind it can be removed.

robert

dmoro dmoro

Re: RFC re inline editing

Il 30/10/2012 19:21, David Glick (Plone) ha scritto:
> Hello all,
> The Plone framework team is considering what to do with the inline
> editing feature in Plone 4.3. It is the last remaining feature
> implemented using KSS, so it is the last blocker for removing KSS from
> Plone core. It could be reimplemented using jquery, but that is more
> work that no one is particularly interested in doing, and that would
> delay the release of Plone 4.3. So we're wondering, how many of you out
> there depend on the inline editing feature and would reconsider
> upgrading to 4.3 if it were gone?

+1 for removal

A small personal note: inline edit was a great feature. People was not
complaining against inline editing itself and most of them appreciated
it a lot.

What was the real problem with end users?
Users just hated opening the inline edit when trying to click on a link
on a document. This could be solved very easily and I'd like a future
reimplementation of inline edit keeping in mind these usability issues.

Regards,

davide

--
Davide Moro
Technical Development Manager

Redomino Srl
http://redomino.com
HQ Largo Valgioie 14, Turin IT
Phone +39 0117499875

Lennart Regebro-2 Lennart Regebro-2

Re: RFC re inline editing

+1 for removal. The inline editing feature is useless as implemented.
If you want field by field inline editing you need to do what reddot
does and have a small marker close to everything you can edit, so you
can click on it. But I agree with others here that it's better to
implement this as a part of a toolbar, so you go into edit mode, which
makes everything that is editable inline editable.

//Lennart

Jian Aijun Jian Aijun

Re: RFC re inline editing

+1 for removal.

2012/10/31 Jon Stahl <[hidden email]>
+1 for removal.  Would be perfectly happy to have it come back if
someone wants to champion a sane solution, but I think SteveM is right
that CMSUI/deco will be a superior solution to the "make editing easy"
problem.

:jon

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Karl Johan Kleist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just get rid of it. Never heard of anybody using this feature.

simahawk simahawk

Re: RFC re inline editing

On 10/31/2012 06:33 AM, Christian Ledermann wrote:

> +1 for removal
>
> We used it in only 1 of 40 sites and that one had a very special use case.
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Jon Stahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for removal.  Would be perfectly happy to have it come back if
>> someone wants to champion a sane solution, but I think SteveM is right
>> that CMSUI/deco will be a superior solution to the "make editing easy"
>> problem.
> I agree, once plone toolbar and deco are in the core we may
> think about new approaches to this, but drop it for now.
>
> It would be a bonus if it could be factored out into an add on
> but not a deal breaker if it cannot be done or nobody wants
> to spend time on this

+1

Marcio Mazza Marcio Mazza

Re: RFC re inline editing

+1 to remove.

Anyone out there actually using the feature would just experience "graceful degradation" to normal edit.

Reminder:
We should also remove that from places like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plone#Features

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Simone Orsi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/31/2012 06:33 AM, Christian Ledermann wrote:
> +1 for removal
>
> We used it in only 1 of 40 sites and that one had a very special use case.
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Jon Stahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for removal.  Would be perfectly happy to have it come back if
>> someone wants to champion a sane solution, but I think SteveM is right
>> that CMSUI/deco will be a superior solution to the "make editing easy"
>> problem.
> I agree, once plone toolbar and deco are in the core we may
> think about new approaches to this, but drop it for now.
>
> It would be a bonus if it could be factored out into an add on
> but not a deal breaker if it cannot be done or nobody wants
> to spend time on this

+1

On 10/30/12 10:33 PM, Christian Ledermann wrote:

> +1 for removal
>
> We used it in only 1 of 40 sites and that one had a very special use case.
>
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Jon Stahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 for removal.  Would be perfectly happy to have it come back if
>> someone wants to champion a sane solution, but I think SteveM is right
>> that CMSUI/deco will be a superior solution to the "make editing easy"
>> problem.
> I agree, once plone toolbar and deco are in the core we may
> think about new approaches to this, but drop it for now.
>
> It would be a bonus if it could be factored out into an add on
> but not a deal breaker if it cannot be done or nobody wants
> to spend time on this

Thanks for the input everyone. It turned out to be rather easy to move
the inline editing stuff into plone.app.kss, so it will be available
there as an add-on if anyone really needs it. But no longer supported.

So long, KSS, and thanks for all the fish!

JonStahl JonStahl

Re: RFC re inline editing

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM, David Glick (Plone)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the input everyone. It turned out to be rather easy to move the
> inline editing stuff into plone.app.kss, so it will be available there as an
> add-on if anyone really needs it. But no longer supported.
>
> So long, KSS, and thanks for all the fish!

Brilliant!  Beautiful work!

:jon