Quantcast

Product twice in quickinstaller

floseries floseries

Product twice in quickinstaller

Hi,

I wonder why a product my_product within zinstance/products is installed twice in portal_quickinstaller (Plone 3.3.5)

my_product has been created via archgenxml

Within src there is a product my.policy where through configure.zcml
    <include package="Products.my_product" />
and profile/default/metadata.xml
    <dependency>profile-Products.my_product:default</dependency>
the product is linked.

Any idea how I can find the reason for the double installation ?

Regards

Fritz Loseries
floseries floseries

Re: Product twice in quickinstaller

In addition I've found in ZMI /Control_Panel/Products that my_product has been installed once as
Products.my_product
and once as
my_product
Regards

Fritz Loseries
Maurits van Rees-3 Maurits van Rees-3

Op 28-07-10 14:33, floseries schreef:

> In addition I've found in ZMI /Control_Panel/Products that my_product has
> been installed once as
> Products.my_product
> and once as
> my_product

I can think of two possible reasons for this and the double mention in
the QI:

- At first my_product was in a directory that was used by the zope
instance as a products directory (for example using plone.recipe.distros
if you are using buildout) but now my_product has been 'eggified' into
Products.my_product.  The Control panel and QI have not realized yet
that those two are really the same product.  The likely solution for
this is: remove those two products from Control_Panel/Products (or
remove all products, which is normally safe to do) and restart your zope
instance.  Check Control_Panel/Products again and see if this product is
reported double again.

- Products.my_product has both an Extensions/Install.py and a
GenericSetup profile.  Or the GenericSetup profile is registered in the
old way in python code instead of zcml (or it is registered as both).
Registering the profile of a package with the Products namespace in
python code means you get a profile name like
'profile-my_product:default'.  Registering it in zcml, means you get a
profile name like 'profile-Products.my_product:default'.  So switch to
zcml only and see if that helps.  If not, you may need to go to the
Contents tab of the QI and remove one or both of the instances of
(Products.)my_product.  It is probably good to reinstall the product
after that.

Make sure you have a backup of course. :-)

Note that this is not really a big problem: nothing goes wrong, it is
just annoying and confusing.

--
Maurits van Rees
Programmer, Zest Software

floseries floseries

Re: Product twice in quickinstaller

Thanks, the first reason was it.

Fritz

> Op 28-07-10 14:33, floseries:
> >
> > In addition I've found in ZMI /Control_Panel/Products that
> my_product has
> > been installed once as
> > Products.my_product
> > and once as
> > my_product
>
> I can think of two possible reasons for this and the double mention in
> the QI:
>
> - At first my_product was in a directory that was used by the zope
> instance as a products directory (for example using plone.recipe.distros
> if you are using buildout) but now my_product has been 'eggified' into
> Products.my_product.  The Control panel and QI have not realized yet
> that those two are really the same product.  The likely solution for
> this is: remove those two products from Control_Panel/Products (or
> remove all products, which is normally safe to do) and restart your zope
> instance.  Check Control_Panel/Products again and see if this product is
> reported double again.
>
> - Products.my_product has both an Extensions/Install.py and a
> GenericSetup profile.  Or the GenericSetup profile is registered in the
> old way in python code instead of zcml (or it is registered as both).
> Registering the profile of a package with the Products namespace in
> python code means you get a profile name like
> 'profile-my_product:default'.  Registering it in zcml, means you get a
> profile name like 'profile-Products.my_product:default'.  So switch to
> zcml only and see if that helps.  If not, you may need to go to the
> Contents tab of the QI and remove one or both of the instances of
> (Products.)my_product.  It is probably good to reinstall the product
> after that.
>
> Make sure you have a backup of course. :-)
>
> Note that this is not really a big problem: nothing goes wrong, it is
> just annoying and confusing.
>

> --
> Maurits van Rees
> Programmer, Zest Software