Problem migrating from 'lawn' to 'bushy' blobstorage

John Schinnerer John Schinnerer

Problem migrating from 'lawn' to 'bushy' blobstorage

Hi again,

Trying to tidy up this upgrade to 4.3.7.

It appears that when I went from 3.3.5 to 4.0.8, and the file objects in
Data.fs were moved to blobs, the default layout was 'lawn'.

Then when I did the upgrade from 4.0.8 to 4.3.7, looking in the server
log, I got this notice:

2015-12-18T13:19:52 (22356) The `lawn` blob directory layout is
deprecated due to scalability issues on some file systems, please
consider migrating to the `bushy` layout.

The site is working fine with 'lawn' layout on its Debian linux server.
However since the warning says "please consider..." I have considered it
and am trying it. Found this:
http://rpatterson.net/blog/migrating-a-blobstorage

Thank you Ross Patterson for clear directions!
However after following the above instructions, and a migration
apparently happening - I can look in the blobstorage directory for the
site and see what looks like the new arrangement of blobstorage - I get
errors on all file objects, one way or another. Images are now
missing/broken on pages; files such as PDFs etc. return an error with
traceback always ending in:

  Module zope.tales.expressions, line 217, in __call__
  Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 155, in _eval
  Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 117, in render
  Module plone.app.blob.field, line 129, in get_size
  Module plone.app.blob.utils, line 52, in openBlob
  Module ZODB.Connection, line 860, in setstate
  Module ZODB.Connection, line 922, in _setstate
  Module ZEO.ClientStorage, line 1020, in loadBlob
POSKeyError: 'No blob file'

I have put back in place the 'lawn' blobstorage for now and the site is
fine again. It needs to stay fine, as it is a county government site
with lots and lots and LOTS of public documents on it.

I would like to migrate to 'bushy' blobstorage, if it is truly important
to do so. However I don't know what to do next to troubleshoot my situation.
I've found some posts about the POSKeyError but they are all, so far,
about corrupted situations of various kinds which I am pretty sure I
don't have. I've not found anything yet relevant to the migration script
producing a 'bushy' migration result that is broken like this.

Any leads appreciated...

thanks,
John S.

--
John Schinnerer - M.A., Whole Systems Design