Portlets as Plone actions vs Properties?

Ian Yamey Ian Yamey

Portlets as Plone actions vs Properties?

Hi,

Is there a particular reason why the implementation of the portlets is
in the ZMI properties (left_slots, right_slots) rather than using portal
actions (similar to the implementation of portal tabs)?

IMO, it would be much easier to place conditions and permissions on the
portlets if they were defined as actions. It saves having to look
through the tal statements and the left_slots, right_slots properties to
see if a portlet should be displayed. Also, I would prefer to uncheck
the visible checkbox rather than removing the
'here/portlet_calendar/macros/portlet' lines permanently from the
left/right_slots field.

Have I missed something? Do you agree / disagree?

Cheers,
Ian

Martin Aspeli-2 Martin Aspeli-2

Re: Portlets as Plone actions vs Properties?

Hi,

> Is there a particular reason why the implementation of the portlets is
> in the ZMI properties (left_slots, right_slots) rather than using portal
> actions (similar to the implementation of portal tabs)?
>
> IMO, it would be much easier to place conditions and permissions on the
> portlets if they were defined as actions. It saves having to look
> through the tal statements and the left_slots, right_slots properties to
> see if a portlet should be displayed. Also, I would prefer to uncheck
> the visible checkbox rather than removing the
> 'here/portlet_calendar/macros/portlet' lines permanently from the
> left/right_slots field.

Good point... I guess the reason is that these properties are acquired so
that you can more easily set a portlet on a top level and override in a
sub-folder.

That said, actions are not great either. I think the "proper" solution is
PlonePortlets, if they ever get polished off enough to be released (Geir?)

Martin

--
(muted)