Plone UX Feb Challenge

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Plone UX Feb Challenge

Hi,

For the month of Feb everyone in the UI team is going to do a challenge. If you're on this list, you are in the UI team :)

The challenge is to find one small thing that you can improve about the Plone UI and implement it.
It can be for Plone 4 or 5.
It can improve the life of site administrators, site editors, integrators or site visitors.
It probably won't be the sort of thing that requires a PLIP, just a ticket in dev.plone.org (to let others know you are working on it), a branch, and a pull request.
You can take inspiration from the UX hit-list[1], or just something that's been bugging you, or else just ask the list.

The only real criteria is that it's an improvement and your pull request is merged by the end of Feb.

Never contributed to Plone before? Perfect. This is the task to start with. If you need a mentor just email me and I'll find you one.
Already working on stuff for Plone 5? Here is your chance to take a break with something small and fun.
Can't code? Create a mockup, test it with users and work with someone else to get it implemented.

For example, one thing that's been bugging me is that I can't easily recompile the diazo rules in theme editor in production [2]. I'm going to fix this, probably by putting a "recompile" button on the theme editor.

What are you going to pick?
----- reply below------

[1] https://trello.com/b/h8J1evdp/the-plone-ux-hit-list-beta
[2] https://trello.com/c/Jjrsre6V/11-not-obvious-how-recompile-diazo-theme-in-production

Thanks to Eric Steele for the suggestions of this challenge.

Dylan Jay

---
www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
P: +61-2-9955-2830  +44-87-0392-7071 | linkedin.com/in/djay75

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone UX Feb Challenge

As an example, adding a control panel or changing the existing types control panel to enable https://trello.com/c/QCiupNw4/66-can-t-set-which-files-get-uploaded-as-which-contenttypes. Big win.

Dylan Jay

---

On 29 Jan 2014, at 7:05 am, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the month of Feb everyone in the UI team is going to do a challenge. If you're on this list, you are in the UI team :)
>
> The challenge is to find one small thing that you can improve about the Plone UI and implement it.
> It can be for Plone 4 or 5.
> It can improve the life of site administrators, site editors, integrators or site visitors.
> It probably won't be the sort of thing that requires a PLIP, just a ticket in dev.plone.org (to let others know you are working on it), a branch, and a pull request.
> You can take inspiration from the UX hit-list[1], or just something that's been bugging you, or else just ask the list.
>
> The only real criteria is that it's an improvement and your pull request is merged by the end of Feb.
>
> Never contributed to Plone before? Perfect. This is the task to start with. If you need a mentor just email me and I'll find you one.
> Already working on stuff for Plone 5? Here is your chance to take a break with something small and fun.
> Can't code? Create a mockup, test it with users and work with someone else to get it implemented.
>
> For example, one thing that's been bugging me is that I can't easily recompile the diazo rules in theme editor in production [2]. I'm going to fix this, probably by putting a "recompile" button on the theme editor.
>
> What are you going to pick?
> ----- reply below------
>

> [1] https://trello.com/b/h8J1evdp/the-plone-ux-hit-list-beta
> [2] https://trello.com/c/Jjrsre6V/11-not-obvious-how-recompile-diazo-theme-in-production
>
> Thanks to Eric Steele for the suggestions of this challenge.
>
> Dylan Jay
>
> ---
> www.pretagov.com - Secure SaaS for Government hosted locally.
> P: +61-2-9955-2830  +44-87-0392-7071 | linkedin.com/in/djay75

Jean Jordaan Jean Jordaan

Re: Plone UX Feb Challenge

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What are you going to pick?

I'll tackle this little thing:
  https://trello.com/c/25dtW2nh/61-plone-control-panel-is-alphabetically-sorted

--
Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone UX Feb Challenge

On 29 Jan 2014, at 7:57 pm, Jean Jordaan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What are you going to pick?
>
> I'll tackle this little thing:
>  https://trello.com/c/25dtW2nh/61-plone-control-panel-is-alphabetically-sorted

Awesome. I'd imagine having the control panel laid out different with languages would be a pain for documentation.

Who is next?