Plone Mosaic Sprint Barcelona June 10 - 13

Guido Stevens Guido Stevens

Plone Mosaic Sprint Barcelona June 10 - 13

Hi all,

Following on from the discussions at Plone Open Garden 2014 in Sorrento,
we've organized a sprint dedicated to modernize the rendering model for
pages in Plone.

We want to create a single 2-D (grid) layout engine that offers page
composition and responsive reflow across devices, to replace the current
situation of multiple 1-D (column) renderers that composite into just a
single non-responsive (desktop) page layout.

Since Monday 9th is a holiday, the sprint runs from Tuesday 10 June
until Friday 13 June (inclusive). The sprint will be held in the
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · Barcelona. Low-cost accomodation
is available.

See the event page for location info and tech goals.
https://plone.org/events/community/barcelona-mosaic-sprint

Thanks to Ramon and Victor for hosting this sprint!

Let's do something spectacular, under a spectacular sun! :-)

:*CU#
--
     Guido Stevens  |  +31.43.3618933  |  http://cosent.nl

     s o c i a l   k n o w l e d g e   t e c h n o l o g y

macagua macagua

Re: [Plone-developers] Plone Mosaic Sprint Barcelona June 10 - 13

Great news Guido, thanks for that initiative

[...]

     Guido Stevens  |  <a href="tel:%2B31.43.3618933" value="+31433618933">+31.43.3618933  |  http://cosent.nl

     s o c i a l   k n o w l e d g e   t e c h n o l o g y

Atentamente

T.S.U. Leonardo Caballero
Linux Counter ID = https://linuxcounter.net/user/369081.html
Key fingerprint = 9FD2 DC71 38E7 A1D1 57F5  1D29 04DE 43BC 8A27 424A

/me Corriendo Debian Wheezy y Canaina GNU/Linux 3
/me Cree "El Conocimiento Humano le Pertenece al Mundo"

Guido Stevens Guido Stevens

Re: [Plone-developers] Plone Mosaic Sprint Barcelona June 10 - 13

We now have a coactivate page at
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/plone-mosaic-sprint-barcelona/summary

Please sign up if you want to come, so we know who's coming and can
reach out to participants via the mailing list.

We're also preparing some code infrastructure you can load before flying
in, so we can hit the road running on Tuesday and not waste half a day
on tooling up and building out. More on that later.

:*CU#

On 13/05/14 20:56, Leonardo Caballero wrote:
> Great news Guido, thanks for that initiative

Thanks for the positive feedback! However, it is Netsight that deserves
the credit for funding a major investment into Plone, which makes all of
this possible.

On 14/05/14 19:05, Asko Soukka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just to catch up after missing the last PLOG...
>
> Are we using all the existing architecture in p.a.blocks, p.[a.]tiles
> and p.a.page
>
> or
>
> is something being / going to be reimplemented? (And for what reasons?)

Yes, and yes.

We'll certainly be using (parts of) blocks and tiles. I'm not too sure
about plone.app.page and the rest of the deco stack - but then I'm not
very familiar with that code base.

We're not going to "fix deco" or boil any other specific ocean.

What I propose is to take a fresh look at the layout/rendering patterns
we have and work from first principles, to come up with an evolutionary
approach that moves us towards a responsive grid layout engine, while
maintaining "good enough" backward compatibility.

That may well end up with a solution close to the original Deco vision.
It may also end up with a different mechanism that avoids whatever it
was that stalled Deco.

For me personally, this effort is shaped by a specific use case which is
less about an editor tweaking pages, and more about full personalization
and layout optimization driven by software algorithms. My hope is, that
this unconventional angle will contribute to discovering new and viable
approaches to page composition.

:*CU#