Quantcast

Plone 4.1 soft-released

Eric Steele (esteele) Eric Steele (esteele)

Plone 4.1 soft-released

It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.

Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.

Eric
JonStahl JonStahl

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Eric Steele <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.

Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.

Eric

Woohoo!  Thanks, Eric (et al!) for a fantastic release!

:jon

Jan Ulrich Hasecke-2 Jan Ulrich Hasecke-2

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 13.07.11 01:45, Eric Steele wrote:
> It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.
>
> Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.

Cool!

I get this error updating a 4.0 version:

Error: Couldn't find a distribution for 'docutils==0.7'.

juh

David Glick (GW) David Glick (GW)

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 7/12/11 11:48 PM, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

> On 13.07.11 01:45, Eric Steele wrote:
>> It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.
>>
>> Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.
> Cool!
>
> I get this error updating a 4.0 version:
>
> Error: Couldn't find a distribution for 'docutils==0.7'.

It is certainly there on PyPI. Make sure you are not using an
out-of-date pypi mirror in your buildout.
David

----------
David Glick
 Web Developer
 [hidden email]
 206.286.1235x32

Online tools and strategies for the environmental movement.

Sign up for our newsletter: http://www.groundwire.org/email-capture

On 7/13/11 12:02 AM, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

> On 13.07.11 08:58, David Glick wrote:
>>> I get this error updating a 4.0 version:
>>>
>>> Error: Couldn't find a distribution for 'docutils==0.7'.
>>>
>> It is certainly there on PyPI. Make sure you are not using an
>> out-of-date pypi mirror in your buildout.
> Ah Ok. The index entry pointed to d and b.
>
> What is the benefit of outdated mirrors?
No benefit. They're broken I guess.

----------
David Glick
 Web Developer
 [hidden email]
 206.286.1235x32

Online tools and strategies for the environmental movement.

Sign up for our newsletter: http://www.groundwire.org/email-capture

Harald Friessnegger-2 Harald Friessnegger-2

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

upgrading our 4.0.7 site to 4.1-pending worked smooth.

two things had to be changed to make the instance start up after running
buildout:

A) import permissions.zcml in our addons as it's already stated in
http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/upgrading-
plone-4.0-to-4.1/referencemanual-all-pages

B) setuphandler for versioning types had to be removed

the procedure explained in the docs
(http://plone.org/documentation/manual/developer-manual/archetypes/appendix-
practicals/enabling-versioning-on-your-custom-content-types/) does not work.

VERSIONING_ACTIONS, ADD_POLICIES, DEFAULT_POLICIES etc al are no longer
present in Products.CMFEditions.setuphandlers

i removed the setup step form my package since versioning my folderish types
using annotationstorage does now work anyway (see
http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/11887)

regards, harald

--
Webmeisterei GmbH - Büro für Netzfragen
Tel: +43 5572 908877,  Fax: +43 5572 908877-66

Ross Patterson-2 Ross Patterson-2

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

Eric Steele <[hidden email]> writes:

> It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has
> been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.
>
> Point your buildouts to
> http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add
> http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.

Re-ran buildout, restarted instance, ran the upgrade all successfully.

Thanks Eric,
Ross

On Jul 12, 2011, at 7:45 PM, Eric Steele wrote:
> It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.
>
> Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.
>
> Eric

I've just updated the release to use plonetheme.classic to 1.1.1 to fix http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/12007, which prevented Classic from rendering at all.
Eric
Alan Runyan-3 Alan Runyan-3

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

Please release plone.app.form trunk it has fix for Chameleon.

Everyone should be using Chameleon.  The performance increase
is substantial for nearly no work.  Free 20% performance increase
for free.  Please spread the word.

Oh and someone pls release plone.app.form so the final 4.1 will
work OOTB

alan

On 7/13/11 1:10 PM, Alan Runyan wrote:
> Please release plone.app.form trunk it has fix for Chameleon.
>
> Everyone should be using Chameleon.  The performance increase
> is substantial for nearly no work.  Free 20% performance increase
> for free.  Please spread the word.
>
> Oh and someone pls release plone.app.form so the final 4.1 will
> work OOTB
We have a process: if you need a release of a package, make sure it is
included in checkouts.cfg for the relevant plone-coredev buildout, and
we'll make sure it gets released before the next Plone release.  Please
follow this process or we're likely to lose track of what needs to be
released.

Re Chameleon...I thought it does not use RestrictedPython and so is not
suitable for cases where templates are being edited through the web. Has
that changed?

----------
David Glick
 Web Developer
 [hidden email]
 206.286.1235x32

Online tools and strategies for the environmental movement.

Sign up for our newsletter: http://www.groundwire.org/email-capture

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

We've just done a large site upgrade and noticed that a subset of the
redirectiontools redirections have gone missing.
We're not sure if it's migration code related yet as we're still
investigating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
We ran a linkchecker on the site before and after and got 105 extra
broken links.

---
Dylan Jay
Technical Solutions Manager
PretaWeb: reducing duplication in the government web.
P: +612 80819071 | M: +61421477460 | twitter.com/djay75 | linkedin.com/
in/djay75

On 13/07/2011, at 9:45 AM, Eric Steele wrote:

> It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has
> been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.
>
> Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg
>  and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-
> links.
>
> Eric

Hanno Schlichting-4 Hanno Schlichting-4

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We've just done a large site upgrade and noticed that a subset of the
> redirectiontools redirections have gone missing.
> We're not sure if it's migration code related yet as we're still
> investigating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
> We ran a linkchecker on the site before and after and got 105 extra
> broken links.

There's two things that could be related here:

- We migrated the UID index to a new type which won't allow duplicates
anymore. If you had duplicate UID assignments the upgrade will warn
you about them.
- We've rewritten the logic that apply the resolve_uid transformation
(converting such links to render as normal links using a path instead
of http://somehost/resolve_uid?uid=abc-def)

We didn't touch the redirection tools data structure at all.

If you compare the data structures, they should still be the same.
You'd have to look at some of the new broken links to find a pattern.

Hanno

Laurence Rowe Laurence Rowe

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 13 July 2011 13:00, Harald Friessnegger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> B) setuphandler for versioning types had to be removed
>
> the procedure explained in the docs
> (http://plone.org/documentation/manual/developer-manual/archetypes/appendix-
> practicals/enabling-versioning-on-your-custom-content-types/) does not work.
>
> VERSIONING_ACTIONS, ADD_POLICIES, DEFAULT_POLICIES etc al are no longer
> present in Products.CMFEditions.setuphandlers

There is now a generic setup import/export handler for that. It
probably still needs documenting in the upgrade guide.

Laurence

aclark aclark

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 7/12/11 7:45 PM, Eric Steele wrote:
> It's taken so much longer than I'd intended, but Plone 4.1 final has been soft-released. Let's hope it goes off smoothly.
>
> Point your buildouts to http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/versions.cfg and add http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1-pending/ to your find-links.

Works for me.

Alex Clark · http://aclark.net

Harald Friessnegger-2 Harald Friessnegger-2

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

thanks for the hint laurence.

i added it to the upgrade documentation:

http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/upgrading-
plone-4.0-to-4.1/updating-add-on-products-for-plone-4.1/use-generic-setup-
for-defining-versioning-policies

cheers, fRiSi

On 18 July 2011 16:57, Harald Friessnegger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> thanks for the hint laurence.
>
> i added it to the upgrade documentation:
>
> http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/upgrading-
> plone-4.0-to-4.1/updating-add-on-products-for-plone-4.1/use-generic-setup-
> for-defining-versioning-policies

Great! Thanks for doing that.

Laurence

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 14/07/2011, at 5:07 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We've just done a large site upgrade and noticed that a subset of the
>> redirectiontools redirections have gone missing.
>> We're not sure if it's migration code related yet as we're still
>> investigating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
>> We ran a linkchecker on the site before and after and got 105 extra
>> broken links.
>
> There's two things that could be related here:
>
> - We migrated the UID index to a new type which won't allow duplicates
> anymore. If you had duplicate UID assignments the upgrade will warn
> you about them.
> - We've rewritten the logic that apply the resolve_uid transformation
> (converting such links to render as normal links using a path instead
> of http://somehost/resolve_uid?uid=abc-def)
>
> We didn't touch the redirection tools data structure at all.
>
> If you compare the data structures, they should still be the same.
> You'd have to look at some of the new broken links to find a pattern.

It's weird. We did another test conversion and found no differences in
the redirection table. It must have been something we did post upgrade
but we're not sure what.
We did turn on UID links after the last upgrade where it wasn't turned
on before. We'll continue to explore that as a source of the issue.
Thanks for your help.

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 14/07/2011, at 5:07 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We've just done a large site upgrade and noticed that a subset of the
>> redirectiontools redirections have gone missing.
>> We're not sure if it's migration code related yet as we're still
>> investigating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
>> We ran a linkchecker on the site before and after and got 105 extra
>> broken links.
>
> There's two things that could be related here:
>
> - We migrated the UID index to a new type which won't allow duplicates
> anymore. If you had duplicate UID assignments the upgrade will warn
> you about them.
> - We've rewritten the logic that apply the resolve_uid transformation
> (converting such links to render as normal links using a path instead
> of http://somehost/resolve_uid?uid=abc-def)
>
> We didn't touch the redirection tools data structure at all.
>
> If you compare the data structures, they should still be the same.
> You'd have to look at some of the new broken links to find a pattern.

Slowly unravelling this problem and it appears to be neither of the
above.

We have a bunch on relative urls in our content.
e.g. ../../documents/guidance/NSW_appendix_Compliance_Enforcement%20.pdf

In plone 3 this was left to the browser to resolve and that resulted
in a link like
"/documents/guidance/NSW_appendix_Compliance_Enforcement%20.pdf" which
in turn has a redirection associated with it

In plone 4 the cooked body has a absolute link to
"/rail/documents/guidance/NSW_appendix_Compliance_Enforcement%20.pdf"
This fails as there is no redirection for this link.

I'm not sure which code is to blame here but it looks at the moment
like the transformation of relative urls in plone 4.1 is assuming the
base is a folder not a page which seems like a wrong assumption.

> Hanno

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone 4.1 soft-released

On 31/07/2011, at 11:54 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> On 14/07/2011, at 5:07 PM, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Dylan Jay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We've just done a large site upgrade and noticed that a subset of
>>> the
>>> redirectiontools redirections have gone missing.
>>> We're not sure if it's migration code related yet as we're still
>>> investigating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
>>> We ran a linkchecker on the site before and after and got 105 extra
>>> broken links.
>>
>> There's two things that could be related here:
>>
>> - We migrated the UID index to a new type which won't allow
>> duplicates
>> anymore. If you had duplicate UID assignments the upgrade will warn
>> you about them.
>> - We've rewritten the logic that apply the resolve_uid transformation
>> (converting such links to render as normal links using a path instead
>> of http://somehost/resolve_uid?uid=abc-def)
>>
>> We didn't touch the redirection tools data structure at all.
>>
>> If you compare the data structures, they should still be the same.
>> You'd have to look at some of the new broken links to find a pattern.
>
> Slowly unravelling this problem and it appears to be neither of the
> above.
>
> We have a bunch on relative urls in our content.
> e.g. ../../documents/guidance/NSW_appendix_Compliance_Enforcement
> %20.pdf
>
> In plone 3 this was left to the browser to resolve and that resulted
> in a link like
> "/documents/guidance/NSW_appendix_Compliance_Enforcement%20.pdf"
> which in turn has a redirection associated with it
>
> In plone 4 the cooked body has a absolute link to
> "/rail/documents/guidance/NSW_appendix_Compliance_Enforcement%20.pdf"
> This fails as there is no redirection for this link.
>
> I'm not sure which code is to blame here but it looks at the moment
> like the transformation of relative urls in plone 4.1 is assuming
> the base is a folder not a page which seems like a wrong assumption.

I've tracked down the code which is causing the issue and raised a
bug. I'm not sure what a general solution would be however

https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/12078

We'll try our upgrade again with a modified version of
plone.outputfilters, changing the relative url handling to assume the
context is a page rather than a folder, and see if that breaks less
links than it does now :).