Plone 3.2/3.2.1 setup for Windows?

llcolombo llcolombo

Plone 3.2/3.2.1 setup for Windows?

Is a setup for Windows going to be available?
A short while ago Plone 3.2 was providing a setup for windows, but the
release itself is not final.
Now there's still documentation for windows users, but no setup.

How should Plone 3.2(.1) get installed on a Windows platform?

thanks&bye
Lucia

Steve McMahon Steve McMahon

Re: Plone 3.2/3.2.1 setup for Windows?

The 3.2.1 Windows Installer is still undergoing testing. It should be
out soon. Until then, the 3.2.0 installer is the most current.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:28 AM, Lucia Colombo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is a setup for Windows going to be available?
> A short while ago Plone 3.2 was providing a setup for windows, but the
> release itself is not final.
> Now there's still documentation for windows users, but no setup.
>
> How should Plone 3.2(.1) get installed on a Windows platform?
>
> thanks&bye
> Lucia

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC

Alberto Lopes Alberto Lopes

Re: Plone 3.2/3.2.1 setup for Windows?

Steve,

In the 3.2 release area (http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/3.2) there is no information on the 3.2 installer for Windows (and ironically there is a "Windows Update" section stating that you shouldn't install that missing installer on top of non buildout installs).

I second the guy who alerted about the possibility of Plone loosing user prospects because of no info on Windows installers for current releases.

Another possible problem that I noticed is that finding the older stable releases got harder after the last modifications on plone.org. As of now, if one wants to get an older release, one should click on the "Download Plone" link under the "Get Plone" in the homepage, or on the Download tab and then on the "Get Plone for your platform" banner. Then the only way to go is a discreet "Releases" item in the nav portlet.

There should be some links in the text at http://plone.org/products/plone saying something like "Click here to go to our releases archives".

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Steve McMahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
The 3.2.1 Windows Installer is still undergoing testing. It should be
out soon. Until then, the 3.2.0 installer is the most current.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:28 AM, Lucia Colombo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is a setup for Windows going to be available?
> A short while ago Plone 3.2 was providing a setup for windows, but the
> release itself is not final.
> Now there's still documentation for windows users, but no setup.
>
> How should Plone 3.2(.1) get installed on a Windows platform?
>
> thanks&bye
> Lucia

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC

Sorry, I fouled up. It's 3.1.7: http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/3.1.7

> I second the guy who alerted about the possibility of Plone loosing user
> prospects because of no info on Windows installers for current releases.

The release of 3.2.1 without a Windows installer was a result of a
mis-communication between the release manager and the windows
installer maintainer. It is *not* the result of any policy change.
Those of us who work on installers are acutely aware that the Windows
installer is by far our most popular.

> Another possible problem that I noticed is that finding the older stable
> releases got harder after the last modifications on plone.org. As of now, if
> one wants to get an older release, one should click on the "Download Plone"
> link under the "Get Plone" in the homepage, or on the Download tab and then
> on the "Get Plone for your platform" banner. Then the only way to go is a
> discreet "Releases" item in the nav portlet.

Agreed. It was the intention of those implementing the PSC update that
their would be a new portlet to provide the releases, documentation,
etc. links. Still in the works.

Steve

> There should be some links in the text at http://plone.org/products/plone
> saying something like "Click here to go to our releases archives".
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Steve McMahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The 3.2.1 Windows Installer is still undergoing testing. It should be
>> out soon. Until then, the 3.2.0 installer is the most current.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:28 AM, Lucia Colombo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Is a setup for Windows going to be available?
>> > A short while ago Plone 3.2 was providing a setup for windows, but the
>> > release itself is not final.
>> > Now there's still documentation for windows users, but no setup.
>> >
>> > How should Plone 3.2(.1) get installed on a Windows platform?
>> >
>> > thanks&bye
>> > Lucia

>> --
>>
>> Steve McMahon
>> Reid-McMahon, LLC
>> [hidden email]
>> [hidden email]

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC

Karl Johan Kleist Karl Johan Kleist

Re: Plone 3.2/3.2.1 setup for Windows?

Start help for Windows users:

- open a console window (Start ==> All Programs ==> Accessories ==> Command Prompt)

- set your current directory to the installed Plone folder, e.g. "cd opt\Plone" (yes, I'm a Linux hippie)

- enter the command "python\python.exe bootstrap.py"

- enter the command "bin\buildout.exe"

- enter the command "bin\instance.exe start" (this starts the zope server)

- use your favorite web browser to visit "http://localhost:8080/manage"

Lucia Colombo wrote