Please correct the indicated errors.

Derek Broughton-2 Derek Broughton-2

Please correct the indicated errors.

I've found a number of occurrences via google, where users have been unable
to add folders because they get an error "Please correct the indicated
errors" - but there are no indicated errors.  However, I haven't come
across anything indicating that any of these problems were ever fixed.
Somebody please put me out of my misery, and tell me how it can be
prevented!

Plone version overview
 Plone 2.1,
 Zope (Zope 2.8.1-final, python 2.3.5, linux2),
 Python 2.3.5 (#2, Sep 5 2005, 14:29:06) [GCC 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease)
(Debian 4.0.1-4ubuntu6)]

I'm wondering if Zope2.8 is the problem, since all the other zope packages
seem to be 2.7.
--
derek

J Cameron Cooper-3 J Cameron Cooper-3

Re: Please correct the indicated errors.

Derek Broughton wrote:

> I've found a number of occurrences via google, where users have been unable
> to add folders because they get an error "Please correct the indicated
> errors" - but there are no indicated errors.  However, I haven't come
> across anything indicating that any of these problems were ever fixed.
> Somebody please put me out of my misery, and tell me how it can be
> prevented!
>
> Plone version overview
>  Plone 2.1,
>  Zope (Zope 2.8.1-final, python 2.3.5, linux2),
>  Python 2.3.5 (#2, Sep 5 2005, 14:29:06) [GCC 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease)
> (Debian 4.0.1-4ubuntu6)]
>
> I'm wondering if Zope2.8 is the problem, since all the other zope packages
> seem to be 2.7.

I've seen that sort of thing before. It's probably catching errors too
broadly, and not reporting them. Find where it does that and log the error.

Probably all but a few errors should be allowed to bubble up.

                --jcc
--
"Building Websites with Plone"
http://plonebook.packtpub.com/

Enfold Systems, LLC
http://www.enfoldsystems.com

J Cameron Cooper wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I've found a number of occurrences via google, where users have been
>> unable to add folders because they get an error "Please correct the
>> indicated
>> errors" - but there are no indicated errors.  However, I haven't come
>> across anything indicating that any of these problems were ever fixed.
>> Somebody please put me out of my misery, and tell me how it can be
>> prevented!
>>
>> Plone version overview
>>  Plone 2.1,
>>  Zope (Zope 2.8.1-final, python 2.3.5, linux2),
>>  Python 2.3.5 (#2, Sep 5 2005, 14:29:06) [GCC 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease)
>> (Debian 4.0.1-4ubuntu6)]
>>
>> I'm wondering if Zope2.8 is the problem, since all the other zope
>> packages seem to be 2.7.
>
> I've seen that sort of thing before. It's probably catching errors too
> broadly, and not reporting them. Find where it does that and log the
> error.

"Find where it does that" is pretty intimidating for a new user.  It's just
the stock Folder object.
--
derek

Derek Broughton wrote:

> J Cameron Cooper wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> I've found a number of occurrences via google, where users have been
>>> unable to add folders because they get an error "Please correct the
>>> indicated
>>> errors" - but there are no indicated errors.  However, I haven't come
>>> across anything indicating that any of these problems were ever fixed.
>> I've seen that sort of thing before. It's probably catching errors too
>> broadly, and not reporting them. Find where it does that and log the
>> error.
>
> "Find where it does that" is pretty intimidating for a new user.  It's
> just the stock Folder object.

At the time I found the problem I was on a laptop that only had Konqueror
for a browser.  Accessing the site from IE works fine, so I'll see how it
does in Firefox.  So much for the "any Browser" promise (probably not
plone/zope's fault).
--
derek