Plans and ideas on jQuery UI

Baumann Jonas Baumann Jonas

Plans and ideas on jQuery UI

Hi there,

I've had a problem with the plone.formwidget.autocomplete (dexterity) because it's using the old / deprecated autocomplete plugin. So I started implementing the widget with the jQuery UI autocomplete plugin.

We've had a little discussion in the dexterity mailing list about whether to use jQuery UI on core packages or not (I think there already were some discussions about it). So I'm asking to this list too for getting a clearer idea of what's the strategy about jQuery UI and why stuff should be done like this.

I think there are pros and cons with using jQuery UI. One of the negative point is that jQuery UI is much heavier as plain jQuery (24KB) and it may be bad to make every plone site provide it to every visitor even if it may not be needed.

The other problem is that without using it some packages / developers tend to include the jQuery stuff directly in their packages, which results in a mess of JS files in your registry when add various packages and the same plugins are registered multiple times by different add-on packages (we also have multiple packages which provide jQuery default stuff and seem to do the same).

Using jQuery UI would also have some other advantages like a better date-selection-widget. It would be much easier to create better widgets without writing everything new.

My personal problem is that I need to use some of the UI autocomplete functionality, so I would need to make a fork of plone.formwidget.autocomplete or to merge my changes back to trunk, which would result in a dependency to collective.js.jqueryui, and its planned to get the widget into the core sooner or later.

So I hope to get a clear image on when and how to use jQuery UI stuff for core packages and for add-on packages.

Cheers,

Jonas
Hanno Schlichting-4 Hanno Schlichting-4

Re: Plans and ideas on jQuery UI

Hi.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Baumann Jonas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We've had a little discussion in the dexterity mailing list about whether to use jQuery UI on core packages or not (I think there already were some discussions about it). So I'm asking to this list too for getting a clearer idea of what's the strategy about jQuery UI and why stuff should be done like this.

>From what I understand of the current framework team decisions, jQuery
UI is at the current point not an acceptable dependency for Plone core
packages.

We will get a new date time widget as part of the plone.app.events
PLIP, that isn't dependent on jQuery UI IIRC.

Members of the framework team will have to point to the detailed
discussion notes on this topic.

Hanno

Steve McMahon Steve McMahon

Chrissy Wainwright Chrissy Wainwright

Re: Plans and ideas on jQuery UI

I would agree with Steve, the jQuery UI should be added by a developer that wants to use it in a site. This way, they can then choose which components to include or customize it with the ThemeRoller before putting it into Plone.  Unless we plan on implementing a lot of jQuery UI elements into Plone out of the box, I don't think it needs to be there.

Thanks
-Chrissy Wainwright

--
Six Feet Up, Inc. | Sponsor of Plone Conference 2010 (Oct. 25th-31st)
Direct Line +1 (317) 861-5948 x604

How am I doing? Please contact my manager Gabrielle Hendryx-Parker
at [hidden email] with any feedback.

Rok Garbas Rok Garbas

Re: Plans and ideas on jQuery UI

> We will get a new date time widget as part of the plone.app.events
> PLIP, that isn't dependent on jQuery UI IIRC.

jqeury tools already comes with "dateinput" widget ... would be nice
if somebody extended it to "datetimeinput" widget. i'm curently
poking with event recurrance widget, but i use dateinput widget
inthere as well. i can definetly say it wouldnt be that hard to extend
it.

--
Rok Garbas, Python.Zope.Plone consulting
web: http://garbas.si

Alexander Limi Alexander Limi

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Rok Garbas <[hidden email]> wrote:
jqeury tools already comes with "dateinput" widget ... would be nice
if somebody extended it to "datetimeinput" widget. i'm curently
poking with event recurrance widget, but i use dateinput widget
inthere as well. i can definetly say it wouldnt be that hard to extend
it.

As we have pretty good relations with the developer of jQuery Tools, I'd say that we should work with them to add time + timezone support to their setup — and overall help them with their UI (which is generally good, but the date input stuff is one of their weakest parts).

jQuery UI is solving the wrong problem, IMO. I really don't want to make use of it in Plone as it currently stands, but it might be interesting to keep an eye on for their upcoming mobile UI support.

--
Alexander Limi · http://twitter.com/limi · http://limi.net

Rok Garbas Rok Garbas

2010/9/29 Alexander Limi <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Rok Garbas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> jqeury tools already comes with "dateinput" widget ... would be nice
>> if somebody extended it to "datetimeinput" widget. i'm curently
>> poking with event recurrance widget, but i use dateinput widget
>> inthere as well. i can definetly say it wouldnt be that hard to extend
>> it.
>
> As we have pretty good relations with the developer of jQuery Tools, I'd say
> that we should work with them to add time + timezone support to their setup
> — and overall help them with their UI (which is generally good, but the date
> input stuff is one of their weakest parts).

do you have some cool idea how the widget should be looking like?

some examples i'm loooking at:
 - http://jonathonhill.net/2009-03-27/jquery-datetime-picker/
 - http://www.ama3.com/anytime/
 - http://www.projectcodegen.com/JQueryDateTimePicker.aspx