Quantcast

New collections in Plone 4.2

Alberto Lopes Alberto Lopes

New collections in Plone 4.2

Dear fellas,

I just tried Plone 4.2b2, and got a few questions and observations about the new collections:

1 - The new UI is awesome, congrats. It's very efficient to be able to see the results while configuring the criteria.
2 - I noticed that the new collections are enabled by a add-on product. After I activated it, both types (Collections and Topics) remain active; my old Topics are not converted to the new type. Is this the behavior expected for the final release?
3 - I have created some (old Topic based-) collections before with a date criteria, to select "Items created the last 7 days". In the new collection UI, I could only select specific dates (via a calendar widget). How can I do that with the new collection type?

Regards,

Alberto

JonStahl JonStahl

Re: New collections in Plone 4.2

You might find it interesting to review the PLIP for the new Collections:
https://dev.plone.org/ticket/10902

which explains, among other things, why old Collections aren't
migrated.  Not sure about your question 3, though.

:jon

2012/2/25 Alberto Lopes <[hidden email]>:

> Dear fellas,
>
> I just tried Plone 4.2b2, and got a few questions and observations about the
> new collections:
>
> 1 - The new UI is awesome, congrats. It's very efficient to be able to see
> the results while configuring the criteria.
> 2 - I noticed that the new collections are enabled by a add-on product.
> After I activated it, both types (Collections and Topics) remain active; my
> old Topics are not converted to the new type. Is this the behavior expected
> for the final release?
> 3 - I have created some (old Topic based-) collections before with a date
> criteria, to select "Items created the last 7 days". In the new collection
> UI, I could only select specific dates (via a calendar widget). How can I do
> that with the new collection type?
>
> Regards,
>
> Alberto

khink khink

Re: New collections in Plone 4.2

Hi Alberto,

I asked the same question once [1] (about the relative date criterion), i can only assume it hasn't been implemented yet.

Kees

[1] http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/relative-date-criterion-in-plone-app-collection-td6928019.html
Alberto Lopes Alberto Lopes

Re: New collections in Plone 4.2

Considering that the new collections don't do everything the old collections do (relative date criterion, for instance), and that there is a reason explaining why the old collection-based objects aren't migrated to the new type, one can only conclude that the new collections are not a replacement for the old collections.

So, why not simply give the new collections another name (like "Search View", "Virtual Folder", "Search Folder" or something)? That would make more sense when a site has objects of the two types (on the add item menu, search type option in the advanced search form, the type list on the site setup "Types" option. etc.).

IMHO, giving two different things the same name is an invitation for a lot of confusion in the long term, which will get harder and harder to correct.

Alberto

David Glick (GW) David Glick (GW)

On 4/8/12 4:42 PM, Alberto Lopes wrote:

> Considering that the new collections don't do everything the old
> collections do (relative date criterion, for instance), and that there
> is a reason explaining why the old collection-based objects aren't
> migrated to the new type, one can only conclude that the new
> collections are not a replacement for the old collections.
>
> So, why not simply give the new collections another name (like "Search
> View", "Virtual Folder", "Search Folder" or something)? That would
> make more sense when a site has objects of the two types (on the add
> item menu, search type option in the advanced search form, the type
> list on the site setup "Types" option. etc.).
>
> IMHO, giving two different things the same name is an invitation for a
> lot of confusion in the long term, which will get harder and harder to
> correct.

Have you tried the latest from git? I think the old one now shows up as
"Collection (old-style)", and Eric did some work on support for relative
date queries at the Cioppino sprint. The goal is very much for the new
collections to become a replacement even if they aren't 100% yet.
David

David Glick
 Web Developer
 [hidden email]
 206.286.1235x32

GiveBIG is coming! Mark your calendar for May 2 and get ready to give big to Groundwire
on this community-wide day of giving.

http://www.seattlefoundation.org/npos/Pages/Groundwire.aspx