Migrating from MediaWiki to Plone

yvesm yvesm

Migrating from MediaWiki to Plone

Hi All,

I've searched around for a migration procedure from Mediawiki to Plone.
We're beginning to pile up quite a bit of content and we're not too
happy with some aspects of Mediawiki (search being one) so I'm
contemplating switching to Plone.

Is there some sort of "gulp it all" script like do a recursive wget on
all the pages in a Mediawiki instance and create new folders/pages or a
less brute force approach that would use the database ?  What do people
do for such a task ?

Cheers,

Yves Moisan

ajung ajung

Re: Migrating from MediaWiki to Plone

On 29.04.2009 18:17 Uhr, Yves Moisan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've searched around for a migration procedure from Mediawiki to Plone.
> We're beginning to pile up quite a bit of content and we're not too
> happy with some aspects of Mediawiki (search being one) so I'm
> contemplating switching to Plone.
>
> Is there some sort of "gulp it all" script like do a recursive wget on
> all the pages in a Mediawiki instance and create new folders/pages or a
> less brute force approach that would use the database ?  What do people
> do for such a task ?

A serious developer would export the data from Mediawiki using some code
pulling the data out of the database backend and importing it into Plone
using
the standard API for creating new content and filling in the metadata.....a
nice Python programming task.

Andreas

Web: www.zopyx.com - Email: [hidden email] - Phone +49 - 7071 - 793376
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, Handelsregister A 381535
Geschäftsführer/Gesellschafter: ZOPYX Limited, Birmingham, UK

lists.vcf (331 bytes) Download Attachment
Carsten Senger Carsten Senger

Re: Migrating from MediaWiki to Plone

Hi Yves,

Yves Moisan schrieb:

> Hi All,
>
> I've searched around for a migration procedure from Mediawiki to Plone.
> We're beginning to pile up quite a bit of content and we're not too
> happy with some aspects of Mediawiki (search being one) so I'm
> contemplating switching to Plone.
>
> Is there some sort of "gulp it all" script like do a recursive wget on
> all the pages in a Mediawiki instance and create new folders/pages or a
> less brute force approach that would use the database ?  What do people
> do for such a task ?

Rok Garbas wrote collective.blueprint.wikipedia [1] to turn content from
wikipedia into plone content.
It reads an exported xml file that wikipedia provides, feeds it into a
transmogrifier pipeline and saves it into Plone. Transmogrifier is not
well documented, but maybe it's the best way. In the package you find an
example.

..Carsten

[1] http://github.com/garbas/collective.blueprint.wikipedia/tree/master

yvesm yvesm

Re: Migrating from MediaWiki to Plone

> A serious developer would export the data from Mediawiki using some code
> pulling the data out of the database backend and importing it into Plone
> using
> the standard API for creating new content and filling in the metadata.....a
> nice Python programming task.

Indeed ;-).

Thanx

yvesm yvesm

Re: Migrating from MediaWiki to Plone

> Rok Garbas wrote collective.blueprint.wikipedia [1] to turn content from
> wikipedia into plone content.
> It reads an exported xml file that wikipedia provides, feeds it into a
> transmogrifier pipeline and saves it into Plone. Transmogrifier is not
> well documented, but maybe it's the best way. In the package you find an
> example.

Thanx for this pointer !

Yves

> ..Carsten
>
> [1] http://github.com/garbas/collective.blueprint.wikipedia/tree/master

TrashMan TrashMan

newsitem migration

Hi, i'm migrating  my site from plone 2 to plone 3.
I've imported only the folder "news" into my new site: news are
imported but "view" don't work.
Next step is to migrate with archetypes_tool, but i have this error

     *  Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish
     * Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
     * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
     * Module Products.Archetypes.ArchetypeTool, line 1096, in manage_migrate
     * Module None, line 8, in ?

ImportError: cannot import name install_uidcatalog

I've plone 3.2.2 (Zope 2.10.7-final, python 2.4.5, linux2)
Python Version 2.4.5 (#2, Jul 31 2008, 19:04:55) [GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu
4.2.3-2ubuntu7)]

Any idea?

thanks

massimiliano