Large photo galleries in zope/plone

Tracy R Reed-2 Tracy R Reed-2

Large photo galleries in zope/plone

This is a problem I have been pondering for quite some time: How do I
efficiently do a large photo gallery in zope/plone? I am using zope
2.8.1 with plone 2.1. I used to use CMFPhotoAlbum but I have 2G of
photos! This loads 2G into zodb which then tries to cache it all which
is a real pain because it eats up so much system RAM. I also prefer to
be able to manage my photos from the filesystem. Plone 2.1 provides a
photo album view to folderish items so I think that probably obsoletes
CMFPhotoAlbum so that element can be removed. I am looking at
ATManagedFile as it seems to allow me to store my pics in the fs and the
metadata in the zodb. But it doesn't seem to come with a single shred of
documentation other than the code itself! There is ATMFExample but I
still can't figure out how to use it. I tried adding an ATMFExample
object to my zope instance but when I do I get an error:

Site Error

Invalid request
The parameter, type, was omitted from the request.

Make sure to specify all required parameters, and try the request again.

Does it seem reasonable to use ATManagedFile to store all of my pics?
Can someone give me an example of how I could do so?

Thanks!

--
Tracy R Reed
http://copilotconsulting.com

Shane Graber Shane Graber

Re: Large photo galleries in zope/plone

Have you tried zPhotoSlides?

http://www.zphotoslides.org/

IIRC it can be configured to store your photos on the filesystem and
not in the zodb.

Shane

On 10/20/05, Tracy R Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a problem I have been pondering for quite some time: How do I
> efficiently do a large photo gallery in zope/plone? I am using zope
> 2.8.1 with plone 2.1. I used to use CMFPhotoAlbum but I have 2G of
> photos! This loads 2G into zodb which then tries to cache it all which
> is a real pain because it eats up so much system RAM. I also prefer to
> be able to manage my photos from the filesystem. Plone 2.1 provides a
> photo album view to folderish items so I think that probably obsoletes
> CMFPhotoAlbum so that element can be removed. I am looking at
> ATManagedFile as it seems to allow me to store my pics in the fs and the
> metadata in the zodb. But it doesn't seem to come with a single shred of
> documentation other than the code itself! There is ATMFExample but I
> still can't figure out how to use it. I tried adding an ATMFExample
> object to my zope instance but when I do I get an error:
>
> Site Error
>
> An error was encountered while publishing this resource.
>
> Invalid request
> The parameter, type, was omitted from the request.
>
> Make sure to specify all required parameters, and try the request again.
>
> Does it seem reasonable to use ATManagedFile to store all of my pics?
> Can someone give me an example of how I could do so?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Tracy R Reed
> http://copilotconsulting.com

http://liquid.homelinux.org/

ZopeZone ZopeZone

Re: Large photo galleries in zope/plone

I think Photo and PhotoAlbum which CMFPhoto is built on, both have the
ability to put images on the file system.

A 2GB ZODB is not that big though.

Jake
--
http://www.ZopeZone.com

Tracy R Reed said:

> This is a problem I have been pondering for quite some time: How do I
> efficiently do a large photo gallery in zope/plone? I am using zope
> 2.8.1 with plone 2.1. I used to use CMFPhotoAlbum but I have 2G of
> photos! This loads 2G into zodb which then tries to cache it all which
> is a real pain because it eats up so much system RAM. I also prefer to
> be able to manage my photos from the filesystem. Plone 2.1 provides a
> photo album view to folderish items so I think that probably obsoletes
> CMFPhotoAlbum so that element can be removed. I am looking at
> ATManagedFile as it seems to allow me to store my pics in the fs and the
> metadata in the zodb. But it doesn't seem to come with a single shred of
> documentation other than the code itself! There is ATMFExample but I
> still can't figure out how to use it. I tried adding an ATMFExample
> object to my zope instance but when I do I get an error:
>
> Site Error
>
> An error was encountered while publishing this resource.
>
> Invalid request
> The parameter, type, was omitted from the request.
>
> Make sure to specify all required parameters, and try the request again.
>
> Does it seem reasonable to use ATManagedFile to store all of my pics?
> Can someone give me an example of how I could do so?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Tracy R Reed
> http://copilotconsulting.com

David Bourgeois David Bourgeois

Re: Large photo galleries in zope/plone

ATPhoto which will be part of the ATMultimedia package is under develoment
now. Keep an eye on it as it'll probably do what you're looking for.