Installing Plone has become difficult.

Ignacio Valdes Ignacio Valdes

Installing Plone has become difficult.

Attempting to install the latest Plone on CentOS 6.3. Plone sure seems to have become difficult to install with multiple dependencies that seem endless. In the early days it was not difficult to install.  Not complaining as I am grateful for what we have, just observing that this could impact its proliferation and use.

-- IV

Nathan Van Gheem Nathan Van Gheem

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

What's missing on centos? Installing on ubuntu with the unified installer doesn't pose any problems.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attempting to install the latest Plone on CentOS 6.3. Plone sure seems to have become difficult to install with multiple dependencies that seem endless. In the early days it was not difficult to install.  Not complaining as I am grateful for what we have, just observing that this could impact its proliferation and use.

-- IV

sven sven

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

This works on centos6.3 and 6.4:

https://developer.plone.org/reference_manuals/active/deployment/preparing.html?highlight=centos

After that make sure to run the UI-installer with '--static-lxml', centos comes out of the box with an old version of libxml

cheers

sven

On 04/30/2013 03:27 PM, Nathan Van Gheem wrote:
What's missing on centos? Installing on ubuntu with the unified installer doesn't pose any problems.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attempting to install the latest Plone on CentOS 6.3. Plone sure seems to have become difficult to install with multiple dependencies that seem endless. In the early days it was not difficult to install.  Not complaining as I am grateful for what we have, just observing that this could impact its proliferation and use.

-- IV

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap1

Karl Johan Kleist Karl Johan Kleist

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

Well almost - I still haven't managed to use the unified installer for Plone 4.3 on Ubuntu 10.04 ... http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/Plone-4-3-released-ready-for-installers-td7564406.html#a7564448

Nathan Van Gheem wrote
What's missing on centos? Installing on ubuntu with the unified installer doesn't pose any problems.
Ignacio Valdes Ignacio Valdes

Steve McMahon Steve McMahon

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

For 4.3, the complete message should include:

"""
If -- and only if -- these packages are not available for your platform, you may
try adding --static-lxml=yes to your install.sh command line to force a
local, static build of these libraries. This will require Internet access for the
installer to download the extra source
"""

The --static-lxml option will build an adequate libxml2 and libxslt for you and statically link it to the lxml egg.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]> wrote:
The unified installer says: 'We need development version 2.7.8 of libxml2.' rpmfind and elsewhere seems to only go up to version 2.7.6 for CentOS. -- IV

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Nathan Van Gheem <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's missing on centos? Installing on ubuntu with the unified installer doesn't pose any problems.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attempting to install the latest Plone on CentOS 6.3. Plone sure seems to have become difficult to install with multiple dependencies that seem endless. In the early days it was not difficult to install.  Not complaining as I am grateful for what we have, just observing that this could impact its proliferation and use.

-- IV

Ignacio Valdes Ignacio Valdes

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

Failed running as root:

./install.sh --static-lxml=yes --build-python standalone

Install log says:

Creating /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg-info
Creating /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools.pth
/usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/bin/python: can't open file '/root/tmp/Plone-4.3-UnifiedInstaller/helper_scripts/create_instance.py': [Errno 13] Permission denied

Dieter Maurer Dieter Maurer

Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]> writes:

> Failed running as root:
>
> ./install.sh --static-lxml=yes --build-python standalone
>
> Install log says:
>
> Creating
> /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg-info
> Creating
> /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools.pth
> /usr/local/Plone/Python-2.7/bin/python: can't open file
> '/root/tmp/Plone-4.3-UnifiedInstaller/helper_scripts/create_instance.py':
> [Errno 13] Permission denied

This does not look like a (general) installer issue but more like a local
configuration issue. Check the permissions for all directories
mentioned in the path above (some directories may not yet exist).

Jean Jordaan Jean Jordaan

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Failed running as root:

The installer drops root privileges, so you should run it in a context where
the user it switches to will have rights. The easiest is probably not to run it
as root, but as the intended user.

See the "Creating a Plone user" section on the page referenced above:
https://developer.plone.org/reference_manuals/active/deployment/preparing.html?highlight=centos#creating-a-plone-user

--
jean                                              . .. .... //\\\oo///\\

Oleg Sadov Oleg Sadov

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

You may try to use packages from our repository for Scientific/NauLinux:

http://downloads.naulinux.ru/pub/NauLinux/6rolling/testing/i386/plone/
http://downloads.naulinux.ru/pub/NauLinux/6rolling/testing/x86_64/plone/

Packages must be binary compatible with CentOS/RHEL.

2013/4/30 Ignacio Valdes <[hidden email]>:

> Attempting to install the latest Plone on CentOS 6.3. Plone sure seems to
> have become difficult to install with multiple dependencies that seem
> endless. In the early days it was not difficult to install.  Not complaining
> as I am grateful for what we have, just observing that this could impact its
> proliferation and use.
>
> -- IV

Steve McMahon Steve McMahon

Re: Installing Plone has become difficult.

By the way, this problem (unable to install from private directory) is fixed, and the fix will be in the 4.3.1 installer. Until then, the workaround is to unpack the installer into a world-accessible directory.