IE8 support on Plone 5

Ramon Navarro Bosch Ramon Navarro Bosch

IE8 support on Plone 5

Hey guys, I don't pretend to start a discussion, just to ask if we can assume that Plone 5 will not support 100% IE8.

Bootstrap gets a bit messy with IE8 so the theme has also some problems when we are using IE8: http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#support-ie8-ie9

I know that all of us have some clients that may have some IE8 still on their machines, but its really hard to provide a "on the edge" web platform with a great frontend and beeing stocked at IE8 compatibility.

Fire up!

Ramon

Eric BREHAULT Eric BREHAULT

Re: IE8 support on Plone 5

Hi,

I think that's acceptable.

For your information, Drupal developers decided to drop IE8 support for the future Drupal version (Drupal 8), and they made this decision very early (2012), I guess they did not expect IE8 to be that important in 2014, but still. Interesting post about it: http://www.wunderkraut.com/blog/drupal-8-and-the-slow-death-of-ie8/2014-04-07

Eric

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Ramon Navarro Bosch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys, I don't pretend to start a discussion, just to ask if we can assume that Plone 5 will not support 100% IE8.

Bootstrap gets a bit messy with IE8 so the theme has also some problems when we are using IE8: http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#support-ie8-ie9

I know that all of us have some clients that may have some IE8 still on their machines, but its really hard to provide a "on the edge" web platform with a great frontend and beeing stocked at IE8 compatibility.

Fire up!

Ramon

Albert Casado Albert Casado

Re: IE8 support on Plone 5

There is No need to support it at all.
Bootstrap 4 will also drop ie8 support

El 21/01/2015, a les 11:38, Eric Bréhault <[hidden email]> va escriure:
[...]

Roel Bruggink Roel Bruggink

Nathan Van Gheem-3 Nathan Van Gheem-3

Re: IE8 support on Plone 5

Agreed

On Jan 21, 2015 7:06 AM, "Roel Bruggink" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

https://www.fourdigits.nl/over-ons#roel-bruggink

Four Digits BV
https://www.fourdigits.nl tel: <a href="tel:%2B31%2026%204422700" value="+31264422700" target="_blank">+31 26 4422700

Jens W. klein-2 Jens W. klein-2

Re: IE8 support on Plone 5

+1 for dropping IE 8 support OOTB. If someone really needs it there will
be budget to add support later.

Jens

On 2015-01-21 11:02, Ramon Navarro Bosch wrote:

> Hey guys, I don't pretend to start a discussion, just to ask if we can
> assume that Plone 5 will not support 100% IE8.
>
> Why : https://dev.plone.org/ticket/20238
>
> Bootstrap gets a bit messy with IE8 so the theme has also some problems
> when we are using IE8:
> http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#support-ie8-ie9
>
> I know that all of us have some clients that may have some IE8 still on
> their machines, but its really hard to provide a "on the edge" web
> platform with a great frontend and beeing stocked at IE8 compatibility.
>
> Fire up!
>
> Ramon

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/gigenet

Klein & Partner KG, member of BlueDynamics Alliance

On 2015-01-21 11:02, Ramon Navarro Bosch wrote:
> Hey guys, I don't pretend to start a discussion, just to ask if we can
> assume that Plone 5 will not support 100% IE8.
>
> Why : https://dev.plone.org/ticket/20238
>
> Bootstrap gets a bit messy with IE8 so the theme has also some problems
> when we are using IE8:
> http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#support-ie8-ie9
>
> I know that all of us have some clients that may have some IE8 still on
> their machines, but its really hard to provide a "on the edge" web
> platform with a great frontend and beeing stocked at IE8 compatibility.
>
> Fire up!
>
> Ramon

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/gigenet

Klein & Partner KG, member of BlueDynamics Alliance

Nathan Van Gheem
Solutions Architect
Wildcard Corp

Sean Upton Sean Upton

Re: IE8 support on Plone 5

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Jens W. Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for dropping IE 8 support OOTB. If someone really needs it there will
be budget to add support later.

Opportunity cost to support IE8 in core is too high?

IMHO, any kind of patch/polyfill could come from the add-on ecosystem (e.g. make a package called collective.sadbrowser), whether ECMAScript5 compatibility or CSS/bootstrap stuff.  My team's site just dropped IE8 support on Jan 1 on our 4.3 sites, and my sense is that I was a permissive laggard in waiting this long.

We were even going to survey our logged (extranet) users logging in with IE 8 about their reasons for still using and alternatives [1], but decided to just pull off the bandage and announce our plan.

   /me pulls a rusty old Trident out of my eye, ouch

Sean

[1] If anyone wants boilerplate for a survey about discontinuing MSIE 8 support for your users, feel free to borrow from https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TeamspaceMSIE8

hvelarde hvelarde

Re: IE8 support on Plone 5