Quantcast

How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

12
John Schinnerer John Schinnerer

How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Hello,

It appears that installing collective.flowplayer puts some kind of
'marker' on every relevant media file on a site.
I've installed 3.07b from pypi on Plone 3.2.2 via buildout.

I am evaluating the product, so for this IMO common use case I want to
install the product, try it out, and then remove it to try other options.
Except I can't remove it cleanly by uninstalling, and not even by
removing from instance. Uninstalling leaves files and links affected and
'flowplayer' still an option in 'display' menu. And even after removing
from the instance something remains that breaks file and link views.
The only relevant info I've been able to find is here:

http://pastie.org/pastes/707130

Specifically:
---------------
Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
content:
We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
<browser:page
   zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
   for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
   name="remove-flowplayer"
   class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
   permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
   />
--------------

So where/how do I "call" this routine?
Is this really the only way to truly remove collective.flowplayer?!?

thanks,
John S.

--
John Schinnerer - M.A., Whole Systems Design
- Eco-Living -

Nathan Van Gheem Nathan Van Gheem

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Isn't there an uninstall profile that you are supposed to run to uninstall it?

portal_setup -> import -> look for flowplayer uninstall for drop down -> run all steps

Give it a try--lots of add-ons provide these uninstall step to perform the heavier parts of uninstalling a product.

-Nathan

Nathan Van Gheem wrote:

> Isn't there an uninstall profile that you are supposed to run to
> uninstall it?
>
> portal_setup -> import -> look for flowplayer uninstall for drop down ->
> run all steps
>
> Give it a try--lots of add-ons provide these uninstall step to perform
> the heavier parts of uninstalling a product.
>

> -Nathan

Thanks for this possibility. There doesn't seem to be anything there
that is relevant to uninstall for flowplayer.
The only 'uninstall' showing in my drop-list is "uninstall NuPlone."

No matter what I select in the drop-list, the rest of the page seems to
show the same items under "Available import steps..."
One of these is:

Flowplayer configuration
Configures Kupu pagraph styles for the flow player
collective.flowplayer.exportimport.import_various

So I still need to know how to call the routine as mentioned below,
since that is the only reference I have found, unless someone has other
info on this.

thanks,
John S.

If I select

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM, John Schinnerer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     It appears that installing collective.flowplayer puts some kind of
>     'marker' on every relevant media file on a site.
>     I've installed 3.07b from pypi on Plone 3.2.2 via buildout.
>
>     I am evaluating the product, so for this IMO common use case I want to
>     install the product, try it out, and then remove it to try other
>     options.
>     Except I can't remove it cleanly by uninstalling, and not even by
>     removing from instance. Uninstalling leaves files and links affected and
>     'flowplayer' still an option in 'display' menu. And even after removing
>     from the instance something remains that breaks file and link views.
>     The only relevant info I've been able to find is here:
>
>     http://pastie.org/pastes/707130
>
>     Specifically:
>     ---------------
>     Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
>     content:
>     We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
>     <browser:page
>       zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>       for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>       name="remove-flowplayer"
>       class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
>       permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>       />
>     --------------
>
>     So where/how do I "call" this routine?
>     Is this really the only way to truly remove collective.flowplayer?!?
>
>     thanks,
>     John S.
>

>     --
>     John Schinnerer - M.A., Whole Systems Design
>     --------------------------------------------
>     - Eco-Living -
>     Whole Systems Design Services
>     People - Place - Learning - Integration
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://eco-living.net

John Schinnerer - M.A., Whole Systems Design
- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services
People - Place - Learning - Integration
[hidden email]
http://eco-living.net

cewing cewing

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

John Schinnerer wrote
Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
content:
We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
<browser:page
   zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
   for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
   name="remove-flowplayer"
   class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
   permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
   />
--------------

So where/how do I "call" this routine?

thanks,
John S.
John,

The routine you are seeing there has been registered as a browser:page, this means that it is something that is called by viewing it as a page in your site.  There's a couple of important things to know in order to understand how this will work.

zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
First, there is a condition on this page, so you'll need to make sure that collective.flowplayer is still installed when you call it.  Since this is a zcml registration, it should only be important that the collective.flowplayer product is still in your buildout, you probably can go ahead and 'uninstall' it through the quickinstaller.

for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
Second, the page is registered for content which implements the 'IPloneSiteRoot' interface, which means that the page will only be available when you are at the root of your site (http://mysite.com/).

name="remove-flowplayer"
Third, the page has a name 'remove-flowplayer' which you will need to use to 'see' it.  So using the site root url from above, to call this code you'll need to go to the url 'http://mysite.com/@@remove-flowplayer'.  This will call the code defined in the class listed in the registration, so if you're curious about what will happen when you do call it, you can look at .flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView and see.

permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
Finally, you will need to be logged in as manager (or as someone with the 'Manage portal' permission) in order to view this page and execute the code therein.

HTH

cewing wrote:

> John Schinnerer wrote:
>> Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
>> content:
>> We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
>> <browser:page
>>    zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>    for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>    name="remove-flowplayer"
>>    class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
>>    permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>    />
>> --------------
>>
>> So where/how do I "call" this routine?
>
> John,
>
> The routine you are seeing there has been registered as a browser:page, this
> means that it is something that is called by viewing it as a page in your
> site.  There's a couple of important things to know in order to understand
> how this will work.

Thanks much for the concise, clear and excellent explanation - would
make a good example for ZCML configuration howtows...I just learned a
lot about how to read those! :-)

Now I have hit the next problem - there is no such browser:page
definition and no such class RemoveFlowPlayerView anywhere in the
product files (and so no such routine to call).

In other words, the pastie entry appears to refer to a theoretical way
to complete uninstall rather than an implemented one.

So...I need to get full removal to work, and IMO so does
collective.flowplayer as a product.
I'll be filing an issue re removal of product from instance leaving
broken items in place, and no information about that consequence, and
apparently no way to fix it...? Needs to be part of uninstall accessible
to site admins IMO. Anyhow...besides just complaining...

I'm willing to hack this into my test system collective.flowplayer code
to see if it works.

I need to know a few things from more experienced product coders:

1. which configure.zcml would that declaration go in? I'm guessing the
one in the 'browser' folder and would appreciate knowing before I hack.

2. which .py file would the "class RemoveFlowPlayerView(BrowserView):"
code go in? I think in events.py, guessing from the zcml:condition and
what else is in there and would appreciate knowing before I hack.

Any assistance appreciated...help me contribute... :-)
cheers,
John S.

>> zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>
> First, there is a condition on this page, so you'll need to make sure that
> collective.flowplayer is still installed when you call it.  Since this is a
> zcml registration, it should only be important that the
> collective.flowplayer product is still in your buildout, you probably can go
> ahead and 'uninstall' it through the quickinstaller.
>

>> for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>
> Second, the page is registered for content which implements the
> 'IPloneSiteRoot' interface, which means that the page will only be available
> when you are at the root of your site (http://mysite.com/).
>

>> name="remove-flowplayer"
>>
> Third, the page has a name 'remove-flowplayer' which you will need to use to
> 'see' it.  So using the site root url from above, to call this code you'll
> need to go to the url 'http://mysite.com/@@remove-flowplayer'.  This will
> call the code defined in the class listed in the registration, so if you're
> curious about what will happen when you do call it, you can look at
> .flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView and see.
>

>> permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>
> Finally, you will need to be logged in as manager (or as someone with the
> 'Manage portal' permission) in order to view this page and execute the code
> therein.
>
> HTH

John Schinnerer - M.A., Whole Systems Design
- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services
People - Place - Learning - Integration
[hidden email]
http://eco-living.net

John Schinnerer John Schinnerer

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

More on what I need to know to contribute...see below...

John Schinnerer wrote:

> cewing wrote:
>> John Schinnerer wrote:
>>> Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
>>> content:
>>> We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
>>> <browser:page
>>>    zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>>    for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>>    name="remove-flowplayer"
>>>    class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
>>>    permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>>    />
>>> --------------
>>>
>>> So where/how do I "call" this routine?
>> John,
>>
>> The routine you are seeing there has been registered as a browser:page, this
>> means that it is something that is called by viewing it as a page in your
>> site.  There's a couple of important things to know in order to understand
>> how this will work.
>
> Thanks much for the concise, clear and excellent explanation - would
> make a good example for ZCML configuration howtows...I just learned a
> lot about how to read those! :-)
>
> Now I have hit the next problem - there is no such browser:page
> definition and no such class RemoveFlowPlayerView anywhere in the
> product files (and so no such routine to call).
>
> In other words, the pastie entry appears to refer to a theoretical way
> to complete uninstall rather than an implemented one.
>
> So...I need to get full removal to work, and IMO so does
> collective.flowplayer as a product.
> I'll be filing an issue re removal of product from instance leaving
> broken items in place, and no information about that consequence, and
> apparently no way to fix it...? Needs to be part of uninstall accessible
> to site admins IMO. Anyhow...besides just complaining...
>
> I'm willing to hack this into my test system collective.flowplayer code
> to see if it works.
>
> I need to know a few things from more experienced product coders:
>
> 1. which configure.zcml would that declaration go in? I'm guessing the
> one in the 'browser' folder and would appreciate knowing before I hack.
>
> 2. which .py file would the "class RemoveFlowPlayerView(BrowserView):"
> code go in? I think in events.py, guessing from the zcml:condition and
> what else is in there and would appreciate knowing before I hack.

I also realize I don't know where I'd edit the appropriate files and how
the changes would be made to take effect.
I see "the product" two places in my instance, both in buildout-cache.
The .egg file in the eggs dir and the .zip file in the downloads/dist dir.
So...do I hack one or the other (or both) of those? Or what is the
process to modify the product code so that it works with the buildout
method of distribution, just on my test system for now?
And once modified, do the changes take effect after the next buildout
and instance start, or do I need to do something else as well?

thanks,
John S.

cewing cewing

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

John Schinnerer wrote
> I need to know a few things from more experienced product coders:
>
> 1. which configure.zcml would that declaration go in? I'm guessing the
> one in the 'browser' folder and would appreciate knowing before I hack.
>
> 2. which .py file would the "class RemoveFlowPlayerView(BrowserView):"
> code go in? I think in events.py, guessing from the zcml:condition and
> what else is in there and would appreciate knowing before I hack.

I also realize I don't know where I'd edit the appropriate files and how
the changes would be made to take effect.
I see "the product" two places in my instance, both in buildout-cache.
The .egg file in the eggs dir and the .zip file in the downloads/dist dir.
So...do I hack one or the other (or both) of those? Or what is the
process to modify the product code so that it works with the buildout
method of distribution, just on my test system for now?
And once modified, do the changes take effect after the next buildout
and instance start, or do I need to do something else as well?
John,

The original paste you made appears to provide some pretty solid starting points for the required browser:page.  Where did you find it?  It doesn't appear to be in the collective.flowplayer package at all.  One would certainly like it to be, I'm guessing.

In general, the path to contributing involves getting commit access to the collective (http://dev.plone.org/plone/wiki/ContributeCode) and then just jumping in.  Flowplayer is owned by optilude, rossp and naro.  I'm sure if you contacted them, they'd welcome any contribution that you wanted to make.  You'll want to become a bit more familiar with developing packages in plone.  In particular you'd want to use mr.developer for this job, since it'd allow you to check out a branch of the repo for collective.flowplayer in place of the existing egg so you could make the magic happen.

As for convention, i'd probably start by putting the class code from your paste into a .py file in the browser module in the collective.flowplayer package.  The zcml could then be placed in the configure.zcml file in that same directory.  That'd be pretty much it.

As another option, you could probably figure out how to do most or all of what's in that browser:page code from the command line by calling bin/instance debug and going at it by hand.  In the long run, though, any of these options is going to cost you some time.

It's great you want to help and ease the path for future evaluators of the product.  Thanks for being so diligent about it.

John Schinnerer John Schinnerer

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Thanks,
again very clear and helpful and I'll follow up on contributing to the
overall issue, including contacting the product owners.

I didn't create that paste, I found it while searching re this issue. I
have not been able to find where it came from.

What I'd like to know for the immediate moment is:
Is there a way I can try this fix out right here on my test/dev system -
that is, modify the code I have locally to see if/how this works?
That would flatten the start of my contribution learning curve a bit,
less initial overwhelm - I've done plone <=2.5.x and old style zope
product development. Buildout, eggs, mr. developer, etc. is all new to me.

thanks again,
John S.

cewing cewing

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

John Schinnerer wrote
What I'd like to know for the immediate moment is:
Is there a way I can try this fix out right here on my test/dev system -
that is, modify the code I have locally to see if/how this works?
That would flatten the start of my contribution learning curve a bit,
less initial overwhelm - I've done plone <=2.5.x and old style zope
product development. Buildout, eggs, mr. developer, etc. is all new to me.

thanks again,
John S.
John,

Sure you can.  It's a bit dangerous, but the site is already toast, so no loss, right? :)  At any rate, no pain no gain.

So collective.flowplayer is an egg product.  Assuming that you've installed it the standard way (that is to say, by adding it to the list of eggs for your buildout in buildout.cfg), then the source for the package will be located in <buildout-home>/eggs/collective.flowplayer-<some-version-info>.egg  This will be a directory that should have a 'collective' directory immediately inside, with a 'flowplayer' directory inside that.  Once you're in there, you are in the code for the package.  The stuff your paste talked about adding is all set up via zcml, which is read and registered at startup.  This means you probably don't even need to re-install flowplayer, just add the code in the place you'd eventually put it (a file in the browser directory and in the configure.zcml file in that same directory).  Then you can restart zope and if you've done everything right, it will just be there.

I'd definitely start by creating a browserview class that does nothing, perhaps just has a breakpoint in it's __call__ method so you minimize confusion when starting out.  If you get the wiring right, the restarting zope and going to 'localhost:8080/Plone/@@kill_flowplayer' (or whatever you call the view in the zcml registration) will drop you into a breakpoint.  Make sure you run zope in 'fg' mode (do bin/instance fg instead of bin/instance start).

Good luck!

John Schinnerer John Schinnerer

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Thanks yet again!
That is what I was guessing, but not wanting to waste time on hacking if
it simply wouldn't work at all.
I will see if I can get the marker removal code working and if so I'll
contact the product owners about adding it in (and documenting it!).

This is a test instance for evaluating & troubleshooting products for
upgrade or replacement so it's expendable...

cheers,
John S.

yuri-2 yuri-2

Il 11/05/2010 17:40, cewing ha scritto:

> John Schinnerer wrote:
>
>> Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
>> content:
>> We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
>> <browser:page
>>     zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>     for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>     name="remove-flowplayer"
>>     class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
>>     permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>     />
>> --------------
>>
>> So where/how do I "call" this routine?
>>
>> thanks,
>> John S.
>>

> John,
>
> The routine you are seeing there has been registered as a browser:page, this
> means that it is something that is called by viewing it as a page in your
> site.  There's a couple of important things to know in order to understand
> how this will work.
>

>> zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>

> First, there is a condition on this page, so you'll need to make sure that
> collective.flowplayer is still installed when you call it.  Since this is a
> zcml registration, it should only be important that the
> collective.flowplayer product is still in your buildout, you probably can go
> ahead and 'uninstall' it through the quickinstaller.
>

>> for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>

> Second, the page is registered for content which implements the
> 'IPloneSiteRoot' interface, which means that the page will only be available
> when you are at the root of your site (http://mysite.com/).
>

>> name="remove-flowplayer"
>>

> Third, the page has a name 'remove-flowplayer' which you will need to use to
> 'see' it.  So using the site root url from above, to call this code you'll
> need to go to the url 'http://mysite.com/@@remove-flowplayer'.  This will
> call the code defined in the class listed in the registration, so if you're
> curious about what will happen when you do call it, you can look at
> .flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView and see.
>

>> permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>

> Finally, you will need to be logged in as manager (or as someone with the
> 'Manage portal' permission) in order to view this page and execute the code
> therein.
>
> HTH

http://plone.org/products/collective-flowplayer/issues/5

they did the fix :P

Tom Gross Tom Gross

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

How to fully remove collective.flowplayer and p4a.video shown in my book
Plone 3 Multimedia too:

http://amzn.to/dtrp0C

-Tom

On 07/12/2010 08:25 AM, Yuri wrote:

> Il 11/05/2010 17:40, cewing ha scritto:
>>
>> John Schinnerer wrote:
>>
>>> Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the
>>> content:
>>> We define the removal code as a conditional BrowserView:
>>> <browser:page
>>>      zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>>      for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>>      name="remove-flowplayer"
>>>      class=".flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView"
>>>      permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>>      />
>>> --------------
>>>
>>> So where/how do I "call" this routine?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> John S.
>>>

>> John,
>>
>> The routine you are seeing there has been registered as a browser:page, this
>> means that it is something that is called by viewing it as a page in your
>> site.  There's a couple of important things to know in order to understand
>> how this will work.
>>

>>> zcml:condition="installed collective.flowplayer.events"
>>>

>> First, there is a condition on this page, so you'll need to make sure that
>> collective.flowplayer is still installed when you call it.  Since this is a
>> zcml registration, it should only be important that the
>> collective.flowplayer product is still in your buildout, you probably can go
>> ahead and 'uninstall' it through the quickinstaller.
>>

>>> for="Products.CMFPlone.interfaces.siteroot.IPloneSiteRoot"
>>>

>> Second, the page is registered for content which implements the
>> 'IPloneSiteRoot' interface, which means that the page will only be available
>> when you are at the root of your site (http://mysite.com/).
>>

>>> name="remove-flowplayer"
>>>

>> Third, the page has a name 'remove-flowplayer' which you will need to use to
>> 'see' it.  So using the site root url from above, to call this code you'll
>> need to go to the url 'http://mysite.com/@@remove-flowplayer'.  This will
>> call the code defined in the class listed in the registration, so if you're
>> curious about what will happen when you do call it, you can look at
>> .flowplayer.RemoveFlowPlayerView and see.
>>

>>> permission="cmf.ManagePortal"
>>>

>> Finally, you will need to be logged in as manager (or as someone with the
>> 'Manage portal' permission) in order to view this page and execute the code
>> therein.
>>
>> HTH

> http://plone.org/products/collective-flowplayer/issues/5
>
> they did the fix :P

My Book "Plone 3 Multimedia" ist available! http://amzn.to/dtrp0C

Tom Gross
[hidden email]
skype.....................tom_gross
web.........http://toms-projekte.de
blog...http://blog.toms-projekte.de

salenics salenics

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
ChristosT ChristosT

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

salenics wrote
  Well,this really helps me a lot! Thank you very much to share such a useful information!
  If u dont mind,here u can have a good look,maybe it can give u a fantastic challenge, just come to  mbt shoes!
Would be nice if you could share some insight on this as I am kind of lost right now. Is there a How_to somewhere besides in the book the previous poster mentioned?
I 've runned into this problem when trying to upgrade to Plone4 from Plone 3.3.5. Portal migration fails because at some point i had collective.flowplayer installed. So when I run portal migration on the old Data.fs file I get:

I guess the same thing will happen with anyone trying to upgrade to Plone 4 and at some point had collective.flowplayer install so a "How to completely remove collective.flowplayer Guide" would be usefull to many people.
ChristosT ChristosT

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Would you care sharing the info on how to fully remove collective.flowplayer.
I run into this issue while trying to upgrade to Plone 4.0 as I mentioned on my previous post on this thread.
I am sure your book must be great but I am not really into Plone multimedia. I just did the mistake to try out installing flowplayer at somepoint in the past and I dont really need flowplayer right now. So I wouldn't buy it just to find out how to completely remove collective.flowplayer.
If you don't wan't to share that's OK anyway, its your book after all, but I would be grateful if you did.
Nathan Van Gheem Nathan Van Gheem

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Hi,

You'll need to add collective.flowplayer back as your list of eggs and then remove any mention of implemented interfaces anywhere in any of the files.

I think if you do,

portal_catalog(object_provides='collective.flowplayer.interfaces.IVideo')
You should get a list of videos that have the implemented interface that is given you trouble. Then go to those objects and remove the flowplayer interface.

Also, if flowplayer installs any persistent utilities, those can be removed with, http://pypi.python.org/pypi/wildcard.fixpersistentutilities/1.0a1

It's always annoying when products don't have proper uninstall profiles...

-Nathan

yuri-2 yuri-2

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

http://plone.org/products/collective-flowplayer/issues/5

it works, imho.

Il 21/09/2010 00:45, Nathan Van Gheem ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> You'll need to add collective.flowplayer back as your list of eggs and
> then remove any mention of implemented interfaces anywhere in any of
> the files.
>
> I think if you do,
>
>     portal_catalog(object_provides='collective.flowplayer.interfaces.IVideo')
>
> You should get a list of videos that have the implemented interface
> that is given you trouble. Then go to those objects and remove the
> flowplayer interface.
>
> Also, if flowplayer installs any persistent utilities, those can be
> removed with,
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/wildcard.fixpersistentutilities/1.0a1
>
> It's always annoying when products don't have proper uninstall profiles...
>

> -Nathan
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, ChristosT <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Would you care sharing the info on how to fully remove
>     collective.flowplayer.
>     I run into this issue while trying to upgrade to Plone 4.0 as I
>     mentioned on
>     my previous post on this thread.
>     I am sure your book must be great but I am not really into Plone
>     multimedia.
>     I just did the mistake to try out installing flowplayer at
>     somepoint in the
>     past and I dont really need flowplayer right now. So I wouldn't
>     buy it just
>     to find out how to completely remove collective.flowplayer.
>     If you don't wan't to share that's OK anyway, its your book after
>     all, but I
>     would be grateful if you did.

ChristosT ChristosT

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Yes maybe it does but its too complicated for unexperienced users. I am trying to figure things out...
There are many things there that I am not familiar with.
Step 2 says: Call the following routine to remove all the marker interfaces from the content...
So you have to call the routine which is a browser view as I understand, which does not exist, hence I would have to create it my self and I have not succeded so far (I am still trying to figure things out) .
The situation now as I understand it is that anyone who had the bad luck to install collective.flowplayer in the past cannot upgrate to Plone 4 unless he/she can create and run the mentioned browser view.
 I think an analytical (step-by-step) how_to would be really useful for us newcomers to Plone.
I would gladly write one myself if someone can point me to the right direction (how to create and run the said browser view for example).
ChristosT ChristosT

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

Nathan Van Gheem wrote
Hi,

You'll need to add collective.flowplayer back as your list of eggs and then
remove any mention of implemented interfaces anywhere in any of the files.

I think if you do,

portal_catalog(object_provides='collective.flowplayer.interfaces.IVideo')

You should get a list of videos that have the implemented interface that is
given you trouble. Then go to those objects and remove the flowplayer
interface.

Also, if flowplayer installs any persistent utilities, those can be removed
with, http://pypi.python.org/pypi/wildcard.fixpersistentutilities/1.0a1

It's always annoying when products don't have proper uninstall profiles...
Thanks for trying to help me but I am quite new to Plone, can you please explain what do you mean when you suggest I do:
portal_catalog(object_provides='collective.flowplayer.interfaces.IVideo')
I wouldn't know what and how to do it.
Also I installed wildcard.fixpersistentutilities and didn't find any persistent utilities related to flowplayer. So that is not the problem I think.
David Hostetler David Hostetler

Re: How to fully remove collective.flowplayer?

"bad luck to install collective.flowplayer..."

That's misleadingly disparaging.  :)

Not that I'm excusing the product developer(s), but the issue being
described in this thread is only present for those who _REMOVED_
collective.flowplayer.  Anyone with the good luck of discovering this
very nicely useful product and who left it installed and is using it
happily, needn't (yet?) worry about it's uninstallation flaws.

cheers,

-David