Quantcast

Help Test Windows Installers

Alan Runyan-3 Alan Runyan-3

Help Test Windows Installers

Please help test the Plone Windows Installers:

4.1.4, http://package.enfoldsystems.com/windows/setup-plone41-4.1.4-5293-win32.exe

4.2, http://package.enfoldsystems.com/windows/setup-plone42-4.2.0-5294-win32.exe

Once we get some independent verification we can release.

thanks!
--
Alan Runyan

Skype/Twitter:: runyaga
Office:: 713.942.2377 ext 111
http://ploud.com/  Plone site in less than 10 seconds

Larry Pitcher Larry Pitcher

Re: Help Test Windows Installers

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 10:51 -0600, Alan Runyan wrote:
> Please help test the Plone Windows Installers:
>
> 4.1.4, http://package.enfoldsystems.com/windows/setup-plone41-4.1.4-5293-win32.exe
>
> 4.2, http://package.enfoldsystems.com/windows/setup-plone42-4.2.0-5294-win32.exe
>
> Once we get some independent verification we can release.
>
> thanks!

Hi Alan,

I've just installed Plone-4.1.4 on Windows Vista Home. It installed fine
and the service started. I logged in with admin/admin and created a
Plone site. Everything looked good. I uninstalled and the services were
removed. The C:\Plone41 folder was left in place.

The installer for Plone 4.2.0 worked equally well, as did the
uninstaller.

BTW, I always have UAC turned off, so that isn't part of my test...

Thanks for your work on these,

--

Larry Pitcher
Catapult Solutions

Web:    www.catapultsolutions.net
Email:  [hidden email]
Office:  509.849.2660
Mobile: 509.629.1376
Skype: larry.pitcher

Alan Runyan-3 Alan Runyan-3

Re: Help Test Windows Installers

Thank you Larry!

> I've just installed Plone-4.1.4 on Windows Vista Home. It installed fine
> and the service started. I logged in with admin/admin and created a
> Plone site. Everything looked good. I uninstalled and the services were
> removed. The C:\Plone41 folder was left in place.

Yes, the folders require manual clean-up.  Since your database could
be in that directory and deleting that on uninstall could be a disaster.

Again, thanks.

--
Alan Runyan

Skype/Twitter:: runyaga
Office:: 713.942.2377 ext 111
http://ploud.com/  Plone site in less than 10 seconds

Alberto Lopes Alberto Lopes

Re: Help Test Windows Installers

Dear Alan,

I confirm that the 4.1.4 installer seems to be working in Windows 7  Home Premium 64 bits:
1 - Installs Plone to c:\Plone41
2 - Creates the services for Zope and ZEO
3 - I am able to create a Plone site with user admin:admin
4 - I can navigate through the default content (News and Event pages, for instance)
5 - Shutting down and starting up each of the two services do cause the site to stop responding
6 - Uninstalling via Windows control panel works (leaving the C:\Plone41 folder with some leftovers)

I didn`t try the 4.2 installer.

Do you need any other tests with 4.1.4?

Alberto

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Alan Runyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Larry!

> I've just installed Plone-4.1.4 on Windows Vista Home. It installed fine
> and the service started. I logged in with admin/admin and created a
> Plone site. Everything looked good. I uninstalled and the services were
> removed. The C:\Plone41 folder was left in place.

Yes, the folders require manual clean-up.  Since your database could
be in that directory and deleting that on uninstall could be a disaster.

Again, thanks.

--
Alan Runyan

Skype/Twitter:: runyaga
Office:: <a href="tel:713.942.2377%20ext%20111" value="+17139422377">713.942.2377 ext 111
http://ploud.com/  Plone site in less than 10 seconds

Roberto Allende Roberto Allende

Re: Help Test Windows Installers

Alan,

I tested both:

* setup-plone41-4.1.4-5293-win32.exe
* setup-plone42-4.2.0-5294-win32.exe

On:
* Windows XP
* Windows 2003 Server r2
* Windows 7

And they work great. I was able to install Plone, create a site and  use
it as expected.

There are some small details that i've found, perhaps they don't have
relationship with windows installers, but just in case they're not
registered already:

1. I had an old Plone 3 installed and the behavior on Plone Control
Panel became erratic. When i went to the control panel, i was able to
start and stop Plone 4 instead of the old one, even if the information
tab was showing that i was "controling" the Plone 3 instance.
Just if I'm not clear enough, if there's a bug, that would be Plone 4
installer is becaming intrusive in Plone 3's control panel on those
cases there are a Plone 3 installed.

2. If you open a not valid url, for example
http://localhost:8080/anything and anything is anything at all, instead
of getting the clasic "Site error" i get the html code of it, it's like
my browser believes it's a plain text file instead of html. I don't get
same result on Linux.

3. If I've an instance already installed and started, the new one is
installed and started on the same port as the old one. If i access to
such port, i access the one i started first. If i stop such instance, i
access to the other one.
I guess this is a kinda weird corner case, but a windows user, or
perhaps a linux one :), might get confused with it.

Well, that's it, i think anything here is really serious, just wrote the
stuff i thought it might be of interest.

I hope this is useful as much as i got fun.

Kind Regards
Roberto Allende

--
http://robertoallende.com