Google Adwords not working because Analytics code not in head-tag

Jochen Dekeyser Jochen Dekeyser

Google Adwords not working because Analytics code not in head-tag

Hi,

I am using Plone 4.2.5, although I think other versions have the same issue.

We are using Google Analytics and Google Adwords on our site. The Analytics code has been pasted in the plone site control panel, and the Analytics-statistics are working well, I suppose, although I am not sure. But the stats show visitors, so :-)

The stats of Adwords in Analytics are not working wel. We can see this in our statistics of Matched Search Queries (Acquisition -> Adwords -> Matched Search Queries in Analytics), the day we migrated to Plone, the stats drop dramatically... (although the used budget on Adwords did not change).

So we contacted our Google Premium Partner. He says the Analytics code should be added to the head-tag, and not at the bottom, as stated here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en
At number 4, it says: "Paste it immediately before the closing </head> tag.".

I checked the html-code of Plone (e.g. http://plone.org), and the Analytics-code is added at the bottom...

So, my questions:
* Do others have this issue?
* Why is the Analytics code in Plone added at the bottom?
* How do I get my Analytics code in the head-section?

Thx!
Jochen
Luca Fabbri Luca Fabbri

Re: Google Adwords not working because Analytics code not in head-tag

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Jochen Dekeyser

> I am using Plone 4.2.5, although I think other versions have the same issue.
>
> We are using Google Analytics and Google Adwords on our site. The Analytics
> code has been pasted in the plone site control panel, and the
> Analytics-statistics are working well, I suppose, although I am not sure.
> But the stats show visitors, so :-)
>
> The stats of Adwords in Analytics are not working wel. We can see this in
> our statistics of Matched Search Queries (Acquisition -> Adwords -> Matched
> Search Queries in Analytics), the day we migrated to Plone, the stats drop
> dramatically... (although the used budget on Adwords did not change).
>
> So we contacted our Google Premium Partner. He says the Analytics code
> should be added to the head-tag, and not at the bottom, as stated here:
> https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en
> At number 4, it says: "Paste it immediately before the closing </head>
> tag.".
>
> I checked the html-code of Plone (e.g. http://plone.org), and the
> Analytics-code is added at the bottom...
>
> So, my questions:
> * Do others have this issue?

We have the same request at least once.

> * Why is the Analytics code in Plone added at the bottom?

I think it's an historical reason. Few years ago javascript at the
bottom  was the best choice to not block page loading.
Probably this could be changed in recent days (I'm sure that someone
can give you better explanation).

> * How do I get my Analytics code in the head-section?

You simply need to re-register the viewlet in another viewlet manager,
then hide the same viewlet from the original position.
Check this documentation:
http://developer.plone.org/views/viewlets.html#registering-a-viewlet-using-zcml

Unluckily, it's not something you can do TTW.

-- luca

twitter: http://twitter.com/keul
linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/lucafbb
blog: http://blog.keul.it/

rbruch rbruch

Re: Google Adwords not working because Analytics code not in head-tag

Hi Jochen,

Luca had some good suggestions, I would add that you might want to
evaluate the addon collective.googleanalytics.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/collective.googleanalytics

We're using it on our sites and it works well. I just checked and it
does add the GA code in the head of the pages.

-Rick

Jochen Dekeyser wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Plone 4.2.5, although I think other versions have the same issue.
>
> We are using Google Analytics and Google Adwords on our site. The Analytics
> code has been pasted in the plone site control panel, and the
> Analytics-statistics are working well, I suppose, although I am not sure.
> But the stats show visitors, so :-)
>
> The stats of Adwords in Analytics are not working wel. We can see this in
> our statistics of Matched Search Queries (Acquisition -> Adwords -> Matched
> Search Queries in Analytics), the day we migrated to Plone, the stats drop
> dramatically... (although the used budget on Adwords did not change).
>
> So we contacted our Google Premium Partner. He says the Analytics code
> should be added to the head-tag, and not at the bottom, as stated here:
> https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en
> At number 4, it says: "Paste it immediately before the closing </head>
> tag.".
>
> I checked the html-code of Plone (e.g. http://plone.org), and the
> Analytics-code is added at the bottom...
>
> So, my questions:
> * Do others have this issue?
> * Why is the Analytics code in Plone added at the bottom?
> * How do I get my Analytics code in the head-section?
>
> Thx!
> Jochen

Jochen Dekeyser Jochen Dekeyser

Re: Google Adwords not working because Analytics code not in head-tag

Thx! I will try those suggestions!

Jochen

Jochen Dekeyser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Plone 4.2.5, although I think other versions have the same issue.
>
> We are using Google Analytics and Google Adwords on our site. The Analytics
> code has been pasted in the plone site control panel, and the
> Analytics-statistics are working well, I suppose, although I am not sure.
> But the stats show visitors, so :-)
>
> The stats of Adwords in Analytics are not working wel. We can see this in
> our statistics of Matched Search Queries (Acquisition -> Adwords -> Matched
> Search Queries in Analytics), the day we migrated to Plone, the stats drop
> dramatically... (although the used budget on Adwords did not change).
>
> So we contacted our Google Premium Partner. He says the Analytics code
> should be added to the head-tag, and not at the bottom, as stated here:
> https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008080?hl=en
> At number 4, it says: "Paste it immediately before the closing </head>
> tag.".
>
> I checked the html-code of Plone (e.g. http://plone.org), and the
> Analytics-code is added at the bottom...
>
> So, my questions:
> * Do others have this issue?
> * Why is the Analytics code in Plone added at the bottom?
> * How do I get my Analytics code in the head-section?
>
> Thx!
> Jochen

Yousko_91 Yousko_91

Re: Google Adwords not working because Analytics code not in head-tag

To manage my work related to promotion using Google Adwords Campaign Management services. That is really awesome and giving my ads really great platform. Have recommended many of my friends and they all are very happy to use it.