Quantcast

Gmail smtp as Zope smtp?

Enzo Cesanelli-3 Enzo Cesanelli-3

Gmail smtp as Zope smtp?

Is anyone able to set up and work the authanticated smtp Gmail server to
send email from Zope/Plone?

I'm runnig Zope 2.9.8 with Plone 2.5.5.

I've tried to set up the SecureMailHost with:

SMTP Host: smtp.google.com
Username: [hidden email]
Pw: xxx
TLS: enabled
Port: 587

But I got always this error:

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerPageTemplate, line 90, in
__call__
  Module Products.CMFFormController.BaseControllerPageTemplate, line 26, in
_call
  Module Products.CMFFormController.FormController, line 376, in validate
  Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerValidator, line 58, in
__call__
  Module Products.CMFFormController.Script, line 145, in __call__
  Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 108, in __call__
  Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 348, in _bindAndExec
  Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 164, in _exec
  Module None, line 11, in fgvalidate_base
   - <FSControllerValidator at /site/fgvalidate_base used for
/site/contatti>
   - Line 11
  Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.form, line 519, in fgvalidate
  Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 485, in
onSuccess
  Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 811, in
send_form
  Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 160, in send
  Module Products.MailHost.MailHost, line 144, in send
  Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 268, in _send
  Module Products.SecureMailHost.mail, line 123, in send
  Module smtplib, line 550, in login
SMTPException: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.

Any hint would be very appreciated...
Regards,
 Enzo Cesanelli

Luis Miguel Braga Luis Miguel Braga

Re: Gmail smtp as Zope smtp?

I think gmail strickly requires SSL. Not sure.

Enzo Cesanelli wrote:

> Is anyone able to set up and work the authanticated smtp Gmail server to
> send email from Zope/Plone?
>
> I'm runnig Zope 2.9.8 with Plone 2.5.5.
>
> I've tried to set up the SecureMailHost with:
>
> SMTP Host: smtp.google.com
> Username: [hidden email]
> Pw: xxx
> TLS: enabled
> Port: 587
>
> But I got always this error:
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 115, in publish
>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerPageTemplate, line 90, in
> __call__
>   Module Products.CMFFormController.BaseControllerPageTemplate, line 26, in
> _call
>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FormController, line 376, in validate
>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerValidator, line 58, in
> __call__
>   Module Products.CMFFormController.Script, line 145, in __call__
>   Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 108, in __call__
>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 311, in __call__
>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 348, in _bindAndExec
>   Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 164, in _exec
>   Module None, line 11, in fgvalidate_base
>    - <FSControllerValidator at /site/fgvalidate_base used for
> /site/contatti>
>    - Line 11
>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.form, line 519, in fgvalidate
>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 485, in
> onSuccess
>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 811, in
> send_form
>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 160, in send
>   Module Products.MailHost.MailHost, line 144, in send
>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 268, in _send
>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.mail, line 123, in send
>   Module smtplib, line 550, in login
> SMTPException: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.
>

> Any hint would be very appreciated...
> Regards,
>  Enzo Cesanelli

lmb.vcf (414 bytes) Download Attachment
Enzo Cesanelli-3 Enzo Cesanelli-3

Re: Gmail smtp as Zope smtp?

As documented TLS would be enough to send:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

Or am I misunderstand something?

Enzo

> I think gmail strickly requires SSL. Not sure.
>
> Enzo Cesanelli wrote:
>> Is anyone able to set up and work the authanticated smtp Gmail server to
>> send email from Zope/Plone?
>>
>> I'm runnig Zope 2.9.8 with Plone 2.5.5.
>>
>> I've tried to set up the SecureMailHost with:
>>
>> SMTP Host: smtp.google.com
>> Username: [hidden email]
>> Pw: xxx
>> TLS: enabled
>> Port: 587
>>
>> But I got always this error:
>>
>> Traceback (innermost last):
>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 115, in publish
>>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerPageTemplate, line 90, in
>> __call__
>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.BaseControllerPageTemplate, line 26, in
>> _call
>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FormController, line 376, in validate
>>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerValidator, line 58, in
>> __call__
>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.Script, line 145, in __call__
>>   Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 108, in __call__
>>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 311, in __call__
>>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 348, in _bindAndExec
>>   Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 164, in _exec
>>   Module None, line 11, in fgvalidate_base
>>    - <FSControllerValidator at /site/fgvalidate_base used for
>> /site/contatti>
>>    - Line 11
>>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.form, line 519, in fgvalidate
>>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 485, in
>> onSuccess
>>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 811, in
>> send_form
>>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 160, in send
>>   Module Products.MailHost.MailHost, line 144, in send
>>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 268, in _send
>>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.mail, line 123, in send
>>   Module smtplib, line 550, in login
>> SMTPException: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.
>>

>> Any hint would be very appreciated...
>> Regards,
>>  Enzo Cesanelli

noisygecko noisygecko

Re: Gmail smtp as Zope smtp?

Gmail allows use of TLS on port 587.  I just today wrote a Python script
that sends through Google Mail on port 587 using TLS:

s = smtplib.SMTP(host = 'smtp.gmail.com', port = 587)
#s.set_debuglevel(1)
s.ehlo()
s.starttls()
s.ehlo()
s.login('gmail_account', 'passowrd')
s.sendmail(msg['From'], msg['To'], msg.as_string())
s.close()

I am not sure how to get Zope to do that, though.

-Sim

Enzo Cesanelli wrote:

> As documented TLS would be enough to send:
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287
>
> Or am I misunderstand something?
>
> Enzo
>

>> I think gmail strickly requires SSL. Not sure.
>>
>> Enzo Cesanelli wrote:
>>> Is anyone able to set up and work the authanticated smtp Gmail server to
>>> send email from Zope/Plone?
>>>
>>> I'm runnig Zope 2.9.8 with Plone 2.5.5.
>>>
>>> I've tried to set up the SecureMailHost with:
>>>
>>> SMTP Host: smtp.google.com
>>> Username: [hidden email]
>>> Pw: xxx
>>> TLS: enabled
>>> Port: 587
>>>
>>> But I got always this error:
>>>
>>> Traceback (innermost last):
>>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 115, in publish
>>>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
>>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerPageTemplate, line 90, in
>>> __call__
>>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.BaseControllerPageTemplate, line 26, in
>>> _call
>>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FormController, line 376, in validate
>>>   Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
>>>   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 41, in call_object
>>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.FSControllerValidator, line 58, in
>>> __call__
>>>   Module Products.CMFFormController.Script, line 145, in __call__
>>>   Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 108, in __call__
>>>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 311, in __call__
>>>   Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 348, in _bindAndExec
>>>   Module Products.CMFCore.FSPythonScript, line 164, in _exec
>>>   Module None, line 11, in fgvalidate_base
>>>    - <FSControllerValidator at /site/fgvalidate_base used for
>>> /site/contatti>
>>>    - Line 11
>>>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.form, line 519, in fgvalidate
>>>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 485, in
>>> onSuccess
>>>   Module Products.PloneFormGen.content.formMailerAdapter, line 811, in
>>> send_form
>>>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 160, in send
>>>   Module Products.MailHost.MailHost, line 144, in send
>>>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.SecureMailHost, line 268, in _send
>>>   Module Products.SecureMailHost.mail, line 123, in send
>>>   Module smtplib, line 550, in login
>>> SMTPException: SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server.
>>>

>>> Any hint would be very appreciated...
>>> Regards,
>>>  Enzo Cesanelli

George L George L

Re: Gmail smtp as Zope smtp?

Enzo Cesanelli-3 wrote
Is anyone able to set up and work the authanticated smtp Gmail server to
send email from Zope/Plone?
I struggled with this for a while. When I stepped through the code, it turned out that it coughed because python did not have SSL support. The error message makes you think it's on Google's side, but it's not.

I recompiled python with SSL support, and then it worked. See:

http://paltman.com/2007/nov/15/getting-ssl-support-in-python-251/

Peace, community, justice,
- George