FW: Plone Active/Active DR configuration [UNCLASSIFIED]

John Spence John Spence

FW: Plone Active/Active DR configuration [UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi

I am working on developing a new Plone stack for a web site that will have about 500,000 sessions per day with 80% of pages selected being cached in Varnish. We have a number of websites that have been developed in Plone. As part of a separate project the configuration shown in the diagram below has been developed after some performance testing. This diagram represents the components and relative size of virtual servers to house them. The RAM is in GBs and vCPU is the number of virtual servers.

By way of explanation the website would be a combination of the nodes and components represented in the diagram. The Transaction Node would have at most 2 Plone instances and is used for cases where the Plone instance/s may need to talk to slow running back end systems. The Renderer node is for content only cases. We have an edit and preview node for content editors.

The deployment node has components that used to be in the Plone instance nodes but have been extracted into a node for the sake of performance.

I am interested in any comments regarding this layout. The second diagram shows an example of an Active/Active DR setup using the mix of nodes for a site that doesn’t have any long running transaction requirements. Any comments on this would be appreciated. The key to the last two diagrams is blue represents new nodes, yellow shared nodes with edit and preview nodes, shown in last diagram, and default colour existing devices and servers.

Note the databases are Active/Passive with read only for the Passive node. This is ok for us as we only update either database during content load which is generally a small window. The SQL AlwaysOn is an existing Active/Passive configuration with read capability in the secondary servers.

Diagrams to follow

www.govt.nz - your guide to finding and using New Zealand government services

Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivery to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any use is strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.

Dylan Jay Dylan Jay

Re: Plone Active/Active DR configuration [UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi John,

You might want to move this discussion to community.plone.org. Probably the best forum is https://community.plone.org/c/deployment-hosting.
These mailing lists aren’t used that much.
It’s not really clear yet what your specific question is. Also your second diagram was too small to read.
You haven’t included enough detail of the split of expected load types and the heaviness of your pages to estimate if you have sufficient resources. Resource planning isn’t easy I know. But you have stated the architecture is based performance testing which is a great start, esp if the test loads are accurate.

Regards,
Dylan
Dylan Jay
Chief Technology Officer
PretaGov AU - Helping Government deliver great digital services
Sydney | London

A: Level 6, 99 York St, Sydney, 2000
P: +61-2-9955-2830
Skype ID: dylan_jay