Evaluation: using Reflecto on a Plone 4.2.x

Luca Fabbri Luca Fabbri

Evaluation: using Reflecto on a Plone 4.2.x

Hi all,

we are migrating an old Plone 3 site to a new Plone 4 installation.
One of the products we need to manage is Reflecto. Users of the site
commonly use an ftp client to upload files on the Plone server, then a
Reflector instance show contents on the Plone site.
So: a very common scenario.

I can remember a recent discussion about Reflecto and if I remember
correctly it works also on Plone 4.x, so this is not my problem.

As the number of files are "small" (2.000 more or less) I'm wondering
if keeping reflecto is still a good choice, or will be better to move
those files inside Plone, and provide to users some fancy drag&drop
Plone support (upload/uploadify/...).

Any suggestion?

--
-- luca

twitter: http://twitter.com/keul
linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/lucafbb
blog: http://blog.keul.it/

aclark aclark

Re: Evaluation: using Reflecto on a Plone 4.2.x

On 2013-01-16 11:00:07 +0000, Luca Fabbri said:

> Hi all,
>
> we are migrating an old Plone 3 site to a new Plone 4 installation.
> One of the products we need to manage is Reflecto. Users of the site
> commonly use an ftp client to upload files on the Plone server, then a
> Reflector instance show contents on the Plone site.
> So: a very common scenario.
>
> I can remember a recent discussion about Reflecto and if I remember
> correctly it works also on Plone 4.x, so this is not my problem.
>
> As the number of files are "small" (2.000 more or less) I'm wondering
> if keeping reflecto is still a good choice, or will be better to move
> those files inside Plone, and provide to users some fancy drag&drop
> Plone support (upload/uploadify/...).
>
> Any suggestion?

I'm pretty sure I released a Plone 4 compat version of Reflecto (and
used it on a recent-ish client project.) As for inside or outside of
Plone: no idea. I know that one issue I encountered was security. I had
this idea that I could improve Reflecto by providing per-object
security for each mirrored object. This turned out to be way over my
head, so I gave up. There is probably a branch somewhere.

So, one approach: if you need security per object: move to Plone. If
you don't, leave it on the fs.

--
Alex Clark ยท https://www.gittip.com/aclark4life/