Quantcast

Error running buildout

shurik shurik

Error running buildout

Hello,

I ran buildout and received the following error. Could anyone suggest what the error might mean?

While:
  Installing instance.

An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:

UnknownExtra:
zope.component 0.0 has no such extra feature 'zcml'

Thanks,

Aleksandr
Daniel Nouri Daniel Nouri

Re: Error running buildout

shurik writes:

> I ran buildout and received the following error. Could anyone suggest what
> the error might mean?
>
> While:
>   Installing instance.
>
> An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
> recipe being used:
>
> UnknownExtra:
> zope.component 0.0 has no such extra feature 'zcml'

It turns out that this error is caused by recent changes in
plone.z3cform.  You need to make a small changes to your buildout
configuration to fix this.  Add these these lines to your
``fakezope2eggs`` or ``zope2`` section, depending on whether you're
still using ``fakezope2eggs`` or not:

    skip-fake-eggs =
        zope.testing
        zope.component
        zope.i18n

I've updated the plone.z3cform How-To on plone.org:
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org

Daniel Nouri Daniel Nouri

Re: Error running buildout

Daniel Nouri writes:

> shurik writes:
>
>> I ran buildout and received the following error. Could anyone suggest what
>> the error might mean?
>>
>> While:
>>   Installing instance.
>>
>> An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
>> recipe being used:
>>
>> UnknownExtra:
>> zope.component 0.0 has no such extra feature 'zcml'
>
> It turns out that this error is caused by recent changes in
> plone.z3cform.  You need to make a small changes to your buildout
> configuration to fix this.  Add these these lines to your
> ``fakezope2eggs`` or ``zope2`` section, depending on whether you're
> still using ``fakezope2eggs`` or not:

I was wrong.  fakezope2eggs doesn't seem to support skip-fake-eggs.  You
need to use the zope2install recipe instead.  Remove fakezope2eggs from
your buildout (both the section and the entry in the buildout:parts) and
add skip-fake-eggs to the zope2 part so that it looks something like
this:

    [zope2]
    recipe = plone.recipe.zope2install
    url = ${plone:zope2-url}
    fake-zope-eggs = true
    skip-fake-eggs =
        zope.testing
        zope.component
        zope.i18n

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org

Martin Aspeli-2 Martin Aspeli-2

Re: Error running buildout

Daniel Nouri wrote:

> shurik writes:
>
>> I ran buildout and received the following error. Could anyone suggest what
>> the error might mean?
>>
>> While:
>>   Installing instance.
>>
>> An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
>> recipe being used:
>>
>> UnknownExtra:
>> zope.component 0.0 has no such extra feature 'zcml'
>
> It turns out that this error is caused by recent changes in
> plone.z3cform.  You need to make a small changes to your buildout
> configuration to fix this.  Add these these lines to your
> ``fakezope2eggs`` or ``zope2`` section, depending on whether you're
> still using ``fakezope2eggs`` or not:
>
>     skip-fake-eggs =
>         zope.testing
>         zope.component
>         zope.i18n
>
> I've updated the plone.z3cform How-To on plone.org:
> http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3

I'm a bit unhappy about this change to plone.z3cform. It means that
anyone wanting to use it must demand non-trivial changes to people's
buildouts. I realise to a certain extent it already did this by
requiring fakezope2eggs, but this is quite scary.

I really think the "standard" release of plone.z3cform needs to work
with "standard" Zope 2.10.x and Plone 3.x if it is to have any chance of
being generally acceptable and usable.

Note that I don't know why it was required, so maybe there's no choice.
Could we perhaps monkey patch if the version of zope.component is too old?

Martin

Wichert Akkerman Wichert Akkerman

Re: Error running buildout

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Daniel Nouri wrote:
> > shurik writes:
> >
> >> I ran buildout and received the following error. Could anyone suggest what
> >> the error might mean?
> >>
> >> While:
> >>   Installing instance.
> >>
> >> An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
> >> recipe being used:
> >>
> >> UnknownExtra:
> >> zope.component 0.0 has no such extra feature 'zcml'
> >
> > It turns out that this error is caused by recent changes in
> > plone.z3cform.  You need to make a small changes to your buildout
> > configuration to fix this.  Add these these lines to your
> > ``fakezope2eggs`` or ``zope2`` section, depending on whether you're
> > still using ``fakezope2eggs`` or not:
> >
> >     skip-fake-eggs =
> >         zope.testing
> >         zope.component
> >         zope.i18n
> >
> > I've updated the plone.z3cform How-To on plone.org:
> > http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3
>
> I'm a bit unhappy about this change to plone.z3cform. It means that
> anyone wanting to use it must demand non-trivial changes to people's
> buildouts. I realise to a certain extent it already did this by
> requiring fakezope2eggs, but this is quite scary.
>
> I really think the "standard" release of plone.z3cform needs to work
> with "standard" Zope 2.10.x and Plone 3.x if it is to have any chance of
> being generally acceptable and usable.

FWIW I disagree. This is the future, as is z3cform. We need to start
preparing for that, and now is as good a time as any to start biting
that bullet. As ChrisM said in another thread: any egg which does not
declares its dependencies properly should be considered broken.

If you're l33t enough to want to play with plone.z3cform this should not
be a problem.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <[hidden email]>    It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                   It is hard to make things simple.

Daniel Nouri Daniel Nouri

Re: Error running buildout

Martin Aspeli writes:

> Daniel Nouri wrote:
>> shurik writes:
>>
>>> I ran buildout and received the following error. Could anyone suggest what
>>> the error might mean?
>>>
>>> While:
>>>   Installing instance.
>>>
>>> An internal error occured due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
>>> recipe being used:
>>>
>>> UnknownExtra:
>>> zope.component 0.0 has no such extra feature 'zcml'
>>
>> It turns out that this error is caused by recent changes in
>> plone.z3cform.  You need to make a small changes to your buildout
>> configuration to fix this.  Add these these lines to your
>> ``fakezope2eggs`` or ``zope2`` section, depending on whether you're
>> still using ``fakezope2eggs`` or not:
>>
>>     skip-fake-eggs =
>>         zope.testing
>>         zope.component
>>         zope.i18n
>>
>> I've updated the plone.z3cform How-To on plone.org:
>> http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3
>
> I'm a bit unhappy about this change to plone.z3cform. It means that
> anyone wanting to use it must demand non-trivial changes to people's
> buildouts. I realise to a certain extent it already did this by
> requiring fakezope2eggs, but this is quite scary.
>
> I really think the "standard" release of plone.z3cform needs to work
> with "standard" Zope 2.10.x and Plone 3.x if it is to have any chance of
> being generally acceptable and usable.
>
> Note that I don't know why it was required, so maybe there's no choice.
> Could we perhaps monkey patch if the version of zope.component is too old?

I think it's because zope.i18n is too old.  We need a more recent
version to fix this bug with the integer field.  (I'm not sure about the
details, jfroche or gotcha might know.)

It's not ideal, but then I agree with Wichert's sentiment that we should
push more into this direction, and work towards a Zope 2 that declares
its dependencies (to Zope 3) correctly.

Note that the installation instructions for plone.z3cform in a buildout
have actually become easier recently.  Instead of having to add
fakezope2eggs as a section and in parts, now you only need to add four
lines into your existing zope2install section.  This is thanks to the
recent merge of fakezope2eggs into the "standard" zope2install.

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Daniel Nouri wrote:

>>> It turns out that this error is caused by recent changes in
>>> plone.z3cform.  You need to make a small changes to your buildout
>>> configuration to fix this.  Add these these lines to your
>>> ``fakezope2eggs`` or ``zope2`` section, depending on whether you're
>>> still using ``fakezope2eggs`` or not:
>>>
>>>     skip-fake-eggs =
>>>         zope.testing
>>>         zope.component
>>>         zope.i18n
>>>
>>> I've updated the plone.z3cform How-To on plone.org:
>>> http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3
>> I'm a bit unhappy about this change to plone.z3cform. It means that
>> anyone wanting to use it must demand non-trivial changes to people's
>> buildouts. I realise to a certain extent it already did this by
>> requiring fakezope2eggs, but this is quite scary.
>>
>> I really think the "standard" release of plone.z3cform needs to work
>> with "standard" Zope 2.10.x and Plone 3.x if it is to have any chance of
>> being generally acceptable and usable.
>
> FWIW I disagree. This is the future, as is z3cform. We need to start
> preparing for that, and now is as good a time as any to start biting
> that bullet. As ChrisM said in another thread: any egg which does not
> declares its dependencies properly should be considered broken.
>
> If you're l33t enough to want to play with plone.z3cform this should not
> be a problem.

I may want to distribute a package that uses z3c.form. If I am to work
on improving z3c.form integration in Plone, then that's almost certainly
going to be the reason.

As of yesterday, distributing a generic package becomes hard and
fragile. It won't work for non-buildout uses probably, and it won't work
with anyone's standard buildout. It's hard to document what changes you
may need to do, especially if your buildout is not bog standard to begin
with.

That, and who knows what subtle conflicts we may see from using a
version of zope.component that's untested with the version of Zope
2.10.x that we're using?

This is why I think targeted backporting monkeypatches are a more
outwardly friendly solution in the short term. It is obviously more
painful to do from our side, and needs to be done very carefully, but it
increases the chance that people will be able to use (and thus evolve)
the z3c.form integration story.

In the medium term, I completely agree. This needs fixing at the Zope 2
level, and this is a good opportunity to start the fixing.

However, we may end up in a catch 22 situation here: People don't start
using z3c.form because it's too fragile to depend on the distribution
mechanism, and so we don't get around to fixing the underlying problems
(or we invest undue time in other things that could've been better spent
improving the z3c.form integration story if people believed it would be
a safe thing to depend on).

Martin

Wichert Akkerman Wichert Akkerman

Re: Error running buildout

Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
> This is why I think targeted backporting monkeypatches are a more
> outwardly friendly solution in the short term. It is obviously more
> painful to do from our side, and needs to be done very carefully, but it
> increases the chance that people will be able to use (and thus evolve)
> the z3c.form integration story.

I very strongly believe that every time you want to rely on a monkey
patch yo you are doing something wrong. It will bite you badly someday.
It's better to put in some extra effort to do it the right way.

> In the medium term, I completely agree. This needs fixing at the Zope 2
> level, and this is a good opportunity to start the fixing.
>
> However, we may end up in a catch 22 situation here: People don't start
> using z3c.form because it's too fragile to depend on the distribution
> mechanism, and so we don't get around to fixing the underlying problems
> (or we invest undue time in other things that could've been better spent
> improving the z3c.form integration story if people believed it would be
> a safe thing to depend on).

There are a lot of people who are very interested in fixing this even
though they have little interest in z3c.form. This is a big part of the
black forest sprint. If you want to help sign up for that sprint (if
still possible). Perhaps a sprint on this topic at the conference will
be useful. (and don't rely on me - I won't be at either event).

Wichert.

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> This is why I think targeted backporting monkeypatches are a more
>> outwardly friendly solution in the short term. It is obviously more
>> painful to do from our side, and needs to be done very carefully, but it
>> increases the chance that people will be able to use (and thus evolve)
>> the z3c.form integration story.
>
> I very strongly believe that every time you want to rely on a monkey
> patch yo you are doing something wrong. It will bite you badly someday.
> It's better to put in some extra effort to do it the right way.

Perhaps.

>> In the medium term, I completely agree. This needs fixing at the Zope 2
>> level, and this is a good opportunity to start the fixing.
>>
>> However, we may end up in a catch 22 situation here: People don't start
>> using z3c.form because it's too fragile to depend on the distribution
>> mechanism, and so we don't get around to fixing the underlying problems
>> (or we invest undue time in other things that could've been better spent
>> improving the z3c.form integration story if people believed it would be
>> a safe thing to depend on).
>
> There are a lot of people who are very interested in fixing this even
> though they have little interest in z3c.form. This is a big part of the
> black forest sprint. If you want to help sign up for that sprint (if
> still possible).

I can't make it, but that's good news!

  Perhaps a sprint on this topic at the conference will
> be useful. (and don't rely on me - I won't be at either event).

That's a shame. :-(

Martin

Daniel Nouri Daniel Nouri

Re: Error running buildout

Martin Aspeli writes:
> I may want to distribute a package that uses z3c.form. If I am to work
> on improving z3c.form integration in Plone, then that's almost certainly
> going to be the reason.
>
> As of yesterday, distributing a generic package becomes hard and
> fragile. It won't work for non-buildout uses probably, and it won't work
> with anyone's standard buildout. It's hard to document what changes you
> may need to do, especially if your buildout is not bog standard to begin
> with.

This is wrong.  plone.z3cform until now always required a few special
lines in your buildout.  As of yesterday, it's become *fewer lines*.
The HowTo on plone.org always stated that it's required to use buildout
due to the use of "fake eggs".

Daniel

Daniel Nouri Daniel Nouri

Re: Error running buildout

Chris Withers <[hidden email]> writes:

> Daniel Nouri wrote:
>> I was wrong.  fakezope2eggs doesn't seem to support skip-fake-eggs.  You
>> need to use the zope2install recipe instead.  Remove fakezope2eggs from
>> your buildout (both the section and the entry in the buildout:parts) and
>> add skip-fake-eggs to the zope2 part so that it looks something like
>> this:
>>
>>     [zope2]
>>     recipe = plone.recipe.zope2install
>>     url = ${plone:zope2-url}
>>     fake-zope-eggs = true
>>     skip-fake-eggs =
>>         zope.testing
>>         zope.component
>>         zope.i18n
>
> Interestingly, this got me further along.
>
> I say interestingly, because it turns out plone.z3cform is not being
> explicitly used on this project. Is it dragged down by Plone 3.1.1 or
> anything like that?

No, plone.z3cform is not being used by Plone 3.1.1.  Are you using any
other non Plone core packages?

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org

Chris Withers Chris Withers

Re: Error running buildout

Daniel Nouri wrote:
> No, plone.z3cform is not being used by Plone 3.1.1.  Are you using any
> other non Plone core packages?

No, but here's the thing... I'm using a buildout which specifies:

[plone]
recipe = plone.recipe.plone >=3.1rc1, < 3.2dev

However, I didn't start with an install of the unified installer.

I have a hunch that this is what is causing the problems.

It really shouldn't, however, and I'm confused why the plone buildout
doesn't include all its dependencies and does rely on a unified
installer unpacking being there :-(

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk