ArchGenXML: migrate from 1.4 devel 4 to 1.4.0-beta2 + CompoundField.ArrayField?

Herbert Gartner Herbert Gartner

ArchGenXML: migrate from 1.4 devel 4 to 1.4.0-beta2 + CompoundField.ArrayField?

Hi,

I'm trying to switch to Version 1.4.0-beta2 of ArchGenXML for a Product
generated with 1.4 devel 4.
First I had a minor Problem with archgenxml choking on the empty
docstrings wich the older version was putting on top of every file.

The new Version is also using a non-standard field
(CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it a
try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I don't
know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.

I'm also not sure, if the produced code really works:

     ),

ArrayField(        LinesField('thema',
             widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
                 label="Thema",
                 description="",
                 format="checkbox",
                 label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
                 description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
                 i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
             ),
             multiValued=1,
             vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
             index="KeywordIndex:schema"
         ),
     ),

-herb

Reinout van Rees Reinout van Rees

Re: ArchGenXML: migrate from 1.4 devel 4 to 1.4.0-beta2 + CompoundField.ArrayField?

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:

> The new Version is also using a non-standard field (CompoundField.ArrayField)
> for all multivalued Fields.
> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area
> of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it a try. Anyway I've been happy with
> the old LinesField I had and I don't know, if it is a good thing to rely on
> an extra Field-product.

I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
was from early july:

"""
r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6
lines

array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
will be generated for using ArrayField.

The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
when they are ready for production
"""

What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it
worked well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be
better for other uses. Ideas?

Reinout

  --
Reinout van Rees                         [hidden email]
http://vanrees.org/weblog/                  http://zestsoftware.nl/

Reinout van Rees schrieb:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> The new Version is also using a non-standard field
>> (CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
>> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
>> MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it a
>> try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I don't
>> know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.
>

> I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
> was from early july:
>
> """
> r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6 lines
>
> array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
> will be generated for using ArrayField.
>
> The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
> when they are ready for production
> """
>
> What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it worked
> well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be better
> for other uses. Ideas?

the old code used to be:

     LinesField('thema',
         widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
             label="Thema",
             description="",
             format="checkbox",
             label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
             description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
             i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
         ),
         multiValued=1,
         vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
         index="KeywordIndex:schema",
     ),

and now - even if I remove the py-file and generate a new version - it is:

ArrayField(        LinesField('thema',
             widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
                 label="Thema",
                 description="",
                 format="checkbox",
                 label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
                 description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
                 i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
             ),
             multiValued=1,
             vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
             index="KeywordIndex:schema"
         ),
     ),

minor things to note are the indentation of the ArrayField-line and that
there is no empty line after this field-definition. Not that I want to
be picky, but someone has put a lot of effort into cleanup of the
produced code, so I thought it is worth pointing out the minor things too.

-herb

Rich Hill Rich Hill

unsubscribe

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> The new Version is also using a non-standard field
>> (CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
>> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
>> MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it
>> a try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I
>> don't know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.
>

> I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
> was from early july:
>
> """
> r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6
> lines
>
> array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
> will be generated for using ArrayField.
>
> The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
> when they are ready for production """
>
> What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it
> worked well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be
> better for other uses. Ideas?

the old code used to be:

     LinesField('thema',
         widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
             label="Thema",
             description="",
             format="checkbox",
             label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
             description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
             i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
         ),
         multiValued=1,
         vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
         index="KeywordIndex:schema",
     ),

and now - even if I remove the py-file and generate a new version - it is:

ArrayField(        LinesField('thema',
             widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
                 label="Thema",
                 description="",
                 format="checkbox",
                 label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
                 description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
                 i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
             ),
             multiValued=1,
             vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
             index="KeywordIndex:schema"
         ),
     ),

minor things to note are the indentation of the ArrayField-line and that
there is no empty line after this field-definition. Not that I want to be
picky, but someone has put a lot of effort into cleanup of the produced
code, so I thought it is worth pointing out the minor things too.

-herb

Rich Hill-2 Rich Hill-2

unsubscribe

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> The new Version is also using a non-standard field
>> (CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
>> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
>> MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it
>> a try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I
>> don't know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.
>

> I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
> was from early july:
>
> """
> r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6
> lines
>
> array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
> will be generated for using ArrayField.
>
> The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
> when they are ready for production """
>
> What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it
> worked well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be
> better for other uses. Ideas?

the old code used to be:

     LinesField('thema',
         widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
             label="Thema",
             description="",
             format="checkbox",
             label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
             description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
             i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
         ),
         multiValued=1,
         vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
         index="KeywordIndex:schema",
     ),

and now - even if I remove the py-file and generate a new version - it is:

ArrayField(        LinesField('thema',
             widget=MultiSelectionWidget(
                 label="Thema",
                 description="",
                 format="checkbox",
                 label_msgid='LindeTypes_label_thema',
                 description_msgid='LindeTypes_help_thema',
                 i18n_domain='LindeTypes',
             ),
             multiValued=1,
             vocabulary=NamedVocabulary("""Thema"""),
             index="KeywordIndex:schema"
         ),
     ),

minor things to note are the indentation of the ArrayField-line and that
there is no empty line after this field-definition. Not that I want to be
picky, but someone has put a lot of effort into cleanup of the produced
code, so I thought it is worth pointing out the minor things too.

-herb

<----- Internet E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer ----->
PRIVILEGED / CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or the employee
or agent responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
on notice that you are in possession of confidential and privileged
information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. In such case, you should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please advise immediately if you
or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
given nor endorsed by it.

Reinout van Rees schrieb:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> The new Version is also using a non-standard field
>> (CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
>> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
>> MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it a
>> try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I don't
>> know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.
>

> I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
> was from early july:
>
> """
> r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6 lines
>
> array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
> will be generated for using ArrayField.
>
> The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
> when they are ready for production
> """
>
> What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it worked
> well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be better
> for other uses. Ideas?
>
> Reinout

just talked with jens klein about it:
multiplicity != multivalued

is doesn't have anything to do with setting multivalued=1

The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't
have any effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of
LinesFields (we tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag and
never changed it back in the model)
Sorry for my misinterpretation.

-herb

Rich Hill Rich Hill

unsubscribe

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> The new Version is also using a non-standard field
>> (CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
>> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
>> MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it
>> a try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I
>> don't know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.
>

> I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
> was from early july:
>
> """
> r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6
> lines
>
> array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
> will be generated for using ArrayField.
>
> The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
> when they are ready for production """
>
> What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it
> worked well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be
> better for other uses. Ideas?
>
> Reinout

just talked with jens klein about it:
multiplicity != multivalued

is doesn't have anything to do with setting multivalued=1

The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't have
any effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of LinesFields
(we tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag and never changed it
back in the model) Sorry for my misinterpretation.

-herb

Rich Hill-2 Rich Hill-2

Unsubscribe

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> The new Version is also using a non-standard field
>> (CompoundField.ArrayField) for all multivalued Fields.
>> You can find this FieldType at svn.plone.org in the
>> MoreFieldsAndWidgets-Area of Archetypes, and I'll eventually give it
>> a try. Anyway I've been happy with the old LinesField I had and I
>> don't know, if it is a good thing to rely on an extra Field-product.
>

> I grepped around a bit in the source and figured out that this change
> was from early july:
>
> """
> r4524 | zworkb | 2005-07-04 20:00:36 +0200 (Mon, 04 Jul 2005) | 6
> lines
>
> array field support: when fields have a multiplicity of > 1 the field
> will be generated for using ArrayField.
>
> The ArrayField+CompoundField classes will come to MoreFieldsAndWidgets
> when they are ready for production """
>
> What did the code look like before the change? It sounds like it
> worked well for multiple string values, while the arrayfield might be
> better for other uses. Ideas?
>
> Reinout

just talked with jens klein about it:
multiplicity != multivalued

is doesn't have anything to do with setting multivalued=1

The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't have
any effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of LinesFields
(we tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag and never changed it
back in the model) Sorry for my misinterpretation.

-herb

<----- Internet E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer ----->
PRIVILEGED / CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or the employee
or agent responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
on notice that you are in possession of confidential and privileged
information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. In such case, you should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please advise immediately if you
or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
given nor endorsed by it.

Reinout van Rees Reinout van Rees

Re: Re: ArchGenXML: migrate from 1.4 devel 4 to 1.4.0-beta2 + CompoundField.ArrayField?

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:

> just talked with jens klein about it:
> multiplicity != multivalued
>
> is doesn't have anything to do with setting multivalued=1
>
> The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't have any
> effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of LinesFields (we
> tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag and never changed it back
> in the model)

a) so it works now for you?

b) The generated code still looks suspicious to me.
    ArrayField(Stringfield(.... ???? Two fields nested inside
    eachother?

Reinout

Reinout van Rees schrieb:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
>
>> just talked with jens klein about it:
>> multiplicity != multivalued
>>
>> is doesn't have anything to do with setting multivalued=1
>>
>> The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't
>> have any effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of
>> LinesFields (we tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag
>> and never changed it back in the model)
>

> a) so it works now for you?

well, I changed the multiplicity to 1 in Poseidon regenerated and the
ArrayFields + the corresponding import line are gone. So, yes - it works
for me again.

> b) The generated code still looks suspicious to me.
>    ArrayField(Stringfield(.... ???? Two fields nested inside
>    eachother?

Thats what I thought too. But it seems to make sense for someone else.
Producing an Array of identical LinesFields or StringFields or whatever.

thanks anyway

-herb

Duncan Booth-4 Duncan Booth-4

Herbert Gartner wrote:

> The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't
> have any effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of
> LinesFields (we tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag and
> never changed it back in the model)

I found something similar happens when using ObjectDomain. By default the
multiplicity attribute on fields is blank and as a result ArchgenXML now
thinks that all fields are compound fields unless you explicitly set
multiplicity to 1.

Perhaps it is just a problem with objectDomain, but I can't help thinking
that the default really ought to be assumed to be multiplicity=1.

Jens W. klein Jens W. klein

Am Mittwoch, den 19.10.2005, 17:16 +0200 schrieb Herbert Gartner:

> Reinout van Rees schrieb:
> > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Herbert Gartner wrote:
> >
> >> just talked with jens klein about it:
> >> multiplicity != multivalued
> >>
> >> is doesn't have anything to do with setting multivalued=1
> >>
> >> The Field was set to a multiplicity [*] in PoseidonUML, which didn't
> >> have any effect in older versions but now generates an ArrayField of
> >> LinesFields (we tried this before knowing about the multivalued tag
> >> and never changed it back in the model)
> >

> > a) so it works now for you?
> >

> well, I changed the multiplicity to 1 in Poseidon regenerated and the
> ArrayFields + the corresponding import line are gone. So, yes - it works
> for me again.
>
> > b) The generated code still looks suspicious to me.
> >    ArrayField(Stringfield(.... ???? Two fields nested inside
> >    eachother?
> >

> Thats what I thought too. But it seems to make sense for someone else.
> Producing an Array of identical LinesFields or StringFields or whatever.

Right. with CompoundField and ArrayField (Zope 2.8.x only!) you can have
Fields containsing sub-schemas (with fields) and nest them. It helps you
reducing the ammount of folderish things you need for simple use-cases.
anyway, be careful and suppose to know what youre doing ;)

Jensens

> thanks anyway
>
> -herb

Klein & Partner KEG                                   eduplone OSBN EEIG
agentur für informationsmanagement                       founding member
http://jensquadrat.com                               http://eduplone.net
+43 512 890077        Angerzellgasse 4      6020 Innsbruck       Austria