Quantcast

Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

serhat serhat

Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

Please feel free to enlighten me/others with your questions/answers about alternative add-ons that provide very similar functionality :)

So in Plone 4, which is better?

collective.ckeditor or the original tinymce

plone.app.discussion or quintagroup.plonecomments

collective.easyslideshow or collective.easyslider or collective.plonetruegallery
(For instance, I have seen one advantage of easyslider over easyslideshow: easyslider has a setting -under /<site>/manage_access - to allow any role (like owner) to add/create easy slides into directories that they own, so normal users can create slides in their home directories; easyslideshow has no such setting, only priviliged users can create slides.
truegallery seems more comprehensive, though you have to pin some of plone/zope components to specific versions for it to work, not a good thing I think if the number of components to pin is more than one or two as a rule of thumb. I dont count zope.schema 3.6.4 towards pinning count since a number of good add-ons require it)
ikken-tobi is never wrong
ajung ajung

truegallery seems more comprehensive, though you have to pin some of plone/zope components to specific versions for it to work, not a good thing I think if the number of components to pin is more than one or two as a rule of thumb. I dont count zope.schema 3.6.4 towards pinning count since a number of good add-ons require it)
serhat serhat

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

another good couple is

Products.EasyNewsletter or collective.dancing
ikken-tobi is never wrong
ajung ajung

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

EasyNewsletter
serhat wrote

JonStahl JonStahl

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:12 AM, serhat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please feel free to enlighten me/others with your questions/answers about
> alternative add-ons that provide very similar functionality :)
>
> So in Plone 4, which is better?
>
> collective.ckeditor or the original tinymce

Tiny: it's part of the core.

> plone.app.discussion or quintagroup.plonecomments

plone.app.discussion: it's part of the core.

> collective.easyslideshow or collective.easyslider or
> collective.plonetruegallery

Personally, I'm a fan of plonetruegallery, but all are decent,
depending on what you need.

:jon

Jota Jota

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

serhat wrote
Please feel free to enlighten me/others with your questions/answers about alternative add-ons that provide very similar functionality :)

So in Plone 4, which is better?

collective.ckeditor or the original tinymce
plone.app.discussion or quintagroup.plonecomments
collective.easyslideshow or collective.easyslider or collective.plonetruegallery

It depends...

If you want to be safe for future Plone versions, take the core one's.

But if you want more versatility right now, my feel is that both ckeditor and quintagroup.plonecomments are more polished products and offer more options.
I really like both of them, but tend to only use the core Plone products in my production sites.  ;-)

(apart that I think the current available Plone commentating solutions are bad, compared to other CMS's)

And one last note:  belonging to the Plone core does not guarantee that is always maintained - remember Kupu?

Jorge.

ajung ajung

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

<quote author="Jota">
serhat wrote

But if you want more versatility right now, my feel is that both ckeditor and quintagroup.plonecomments are more polished products and offer more options.

Jorge.
I disagree on both tools. collective.ckeditor has several reported severe flaws (especially in image handling) making it unusable and risky in a vhosted environment. quintgroup stuff is notoriously fragile for me.  Sticking with stuff that belongs to the core is the way to go. Chances that bugs are fixes are higher and there more people feel responsible for core products than for products maintained by one maintainer. In addition: there is of course a very large difference in the quality of add-ons. Of course: free software gives you a bunch of options - however from the practical point of view and from the prospective of reducing risks in project we do in general avoid using add-ons released under certain package namespaces.

-aj
espen espen

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

> collective.easyslideshow or collective.easyslider or collective.plonetruegallery

both collective.easyslider an collective.truegallery are from the same author, and of same (good ) quality.
They have different usercases.... you probably will like both:

Espen

serhat serhat

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

another good set of alternatives is

plone.formwidget.captcha (collective.captcha)
plone.formwidget.recaptcha (collective.recaptcha)
collective.akismet
collective.z3cform.norobots
quintagroup.*captcha*

does any of these automatically integrate itself into registration forms?

also, plone.app.discussion seems to be able to use any of the first 4.
ikken-tobi is never wrong
serhat serhat

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

oh and recaptcha and akismet uses external services
ikken-tobi is never wrong
serhat serhat

Re: Add-on Alternatives, Plone 4

turns out:

quintagroup's captcha is pretty good, with dynamic captcha and a long word list of 8+ characters, integrates with plone survey, does not have audio, needs a patch to work with plone 4, auto-integrates with register/contact forms (I liked this very much)

collective.*captcha has audio support

plone.app.discussion integrates with all except quinta's (if you need anonymous commenting, you will need a compatible captcha solution).
ikken-tobi is never wrong