ANN: templer.core

cewing cewing

ANN: templer.core

Hi all,

after a longer-than-expected period of development, I am happy to announce the first beta release of templer.core 1.0b1.

This new package is the first step in the breakup of the zopskel package into a number of smaller and more easily managed packages.  The core package contains basic namespace, nested namespace and recipe templates and the zopeskel script.

I've just now noticed that the documentation on pypi contains mixed references to a 'templer' script and a 'zopeskel' script.  The package only generates a zopeskel script, so that's going to have to get updated right away.

I'd like to solicit help from the community in reviewing this new package, uploaded as a beta, for consistency and adherence to currently understood best practices.  I've attempted to start from the cleanest and most minimal point possible for all templates to ensure that we have consistent package structures throughout the templates to come.

There is a branch of zopeskel present that runs using templer.core and has had all the code in that package removed.  It can be found here:

I've also created a buildout I've been using to gather all the pieces together for development:

Any eyes on this code will help to ensure that it doesn't suck, so please help out if you can.

********************************
Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services
University of Washington
School of Medicine
Work Phone: (206) 616-1288
Cell Phone: (206) 708-9083
*******************************

cewing cewing

Re: [Zopeskel] ANN: templer.core

On Dec 1, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Alex Clark wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm already confused :-). Is templer.core the zopeskel
> package renamed?

I wish it were a bit less confusing, but let me try to explain.

zopeskel as it currently exists will eventually be replaced by an empty egg which simply depends on all the various templer.whatever packages I am working on creating now.  That way, folks will still be able to 'easy_install zopeskel' and get exactly what they get now.

However, because we are breaking the big zopeskel up into smaller templer pieces, someone could also easy_install templer.plone_core and get only the templates that help them to create plone namespace and plone.app namespace packages, or easy_install templer.plone_addons and get theme and add-on package templates, or perhaps easy_install templer.plone and get all of the plone-related templates.

We can even start creating templates for other systems, so perhaps there might eventually be templates for pylons, django, grok, or whatever else is out there.  The core package really only includes the basics for a very simple namespace and nested namespace packages.  I'm even considering removing the zc.buildout recipe template that is currently there and putting it into a separate buildout base package so we can start templating buildouts for all sorts of systems.  I'm constantly throwing together quick buildouts for development work I'm doing in django.  I want a django buildout template :)

Anyway, I hope this helps make clear what is going on here.  Read the manifesto on splitting zopeskel in the trunk of the zopeskel code.  Joel Burton does a fantastic job of laying out the aims and rationale behind these moves.  I'm just the guy to whom the job fell.

Thanks for asking, and for taking a look.

********************************
Cris Ewing
Webmaster, Lead Developer
Department of Radiology Web Services