ANN: plone.app.caching 1.0a1

Ricardo Newbery-2 Ricardo Newbery-2

ANN: plone.app.caching 1.0a1

Hi all,

plone.app.caching 1.0a1 has been released.  Intended to be the
replacement for the CacheFu bundle, plone.app.caching requires Plone 4
or later.

plone.app.caching is being released as alpha and announced only on the
plone-developers list since its had very little trial under fire with
real world production deployments.  But as far as I know, it's
actually less buggy and more robust than the latest CacheFu release so
it's probably safe to use in production.  Please take it for a spin,
kick the tires and let me know what you think.

Detailed documentation is found here:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.app.caching

Bug reports can go here:
http://plone.org/products/plone.app.caching/issues

Note:  Those of us that still need to stay on the dull side of the
cutting edge need not fear.  There are no plans just yet to deprecate
the old workhorse, CacheFu, so feel free to continue to use it for
now.  There will probably be a new Plone 4 compatible release of
CacheFu in the near future.

This add-on is a collaborative work featuring the advice, ideas, and
contributions from Martin Aspeli, Steve McMahon, Wichert Akkerman,
Laurence Rowe, Hanno Schlichting, and myself.

Enjoy,
Ricardo Newbery

Alexander Limi Alexander Limi

Re: ANN: plone.app.caching 1.0a1

Nice work, everyone! Excited to see a new and improved solution for caching, and I think we should consider including it with Plone 4.1 once we feel it's ready for a wider audience. Having a built-in caching solution is a must-have, IMO.

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Ricardo Newbery <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Alexander Limi · http://limi.net

Danny Bloemendaal-2 Danny Bloemendaal-2

Re: ANN: plone.app.caching 1.0a1

Wow! I can't wait to start using it. Unfortunately we'd have to migrate to 4.0 first. Any change it can work with Plone 3.x?

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Ricardo Newbery <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Alexander Limi · http://limi.net<http://limi.net/>
Martin Aspeli Martin Aspeli

Re: ANN: plone.app.caching 1.0a1

On 27 April 2010 19:03, Danny Bloemendaal
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow! I can't wait to start using it. Unfortunately we'd have to migrate to 4.0 first. Any change it can work with Plone 3.x?

I don't think it'd be impossible, but it would require a fair amount
of porting work. Using the ZPublisherEventsBackport package makes
plone.transformchain work in Plone 3 (as evidenced by collective.xdv),
so the most important hooks are probably there already. The Ui uses
z3c.form 2, so there are a few packages that need to be updated. I'm
sure there are a few things that definitely wouldn't work, but
probably nothing that couldn't be monkey patched into submission. I'd
say it's a week or two of work.

Martin